What tire to replace BB?- Mtbr.com
    AWi
    Swede
    Feb 2006

What tire to replace BB?

Hi all,

well - it's all snow up here where I live and the Big Betty's grip fairly well given the temperature and snow/ice (using Nokian studded tires when needed) but I am looking forward to spring and would like to try something else.

Been using Nevegals 2.35's on my HT and they aren't bad at all - but still ... I would like to try out something else.

I've heard good things about the Kenda ExCavator's - any experience on these?

All in all any input welcome.

Current setup - RFX 08 on DT 5.1

Terrain - roots, rocks and mud. That is nothing like California dry dust etc

Preference - grip when wet, rolling resistance comes further down the list. No DH tire weights though ...

Thanks all!

Team Sanchez
    Kenda Telonix. I run the 2.4 on Hardpack. No idea how they do in the muck.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Definitely give the Continental 2.4 Rubber Queen a try. I replaced my BB with a set of RQ's this past late fall and haven't looked back. Even more volume, just floats over rocks and rough trails and more versatile grip and being a slightly better roller. All at only 850g's/tire and is bigger than most 2.5's out there. The only bad about the tire is that it is very expensive unless you buy in Europe or from European online dealer, hint, hint (Chain Reaction Cycles) and they are even a bit taller and bigger carcass than the BB, raising your bottom bracket height about 1/4" more than the BB, at least that is what mine did. I am waiting til the RQ 2.2 comes out to throw out back to lower the bike a bit, but the 2.4's are sure comfy and are fantastic for aggro riding in all conditions with exception of the really mucky stuff, but you would need mud tires for that anyways. Check em' out.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    They don't get hyped up around here much at all but I really like the WTB Moto Raptors. I've got the 2.4's on my Ventana now and have used the 2.14 on my Superlight withgood success.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    They don't get hyped up around here much at all but I really like the WTB Moto Raptors. I've got the 2.4's on my Ventana now and have used the 2.14 on my Superlight withgood success.
    Yep, those are some decent tread that perform fairly well in most conditions, not really excelling in one, kind of like the Kenda Kinetic or Nevegal for that matter in general all around performance terms. But, I wouldn't compare those to the BB's, totally different tires, even they are "stated" the same size. The 2.4 BB's are much bigger and more aggressive tire altogether, IMO. But, fair recommendation none-the less.

JG
    Ride On!

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    You might give the Maxxis Advantage a look. I ran those for a while and they have a nicely spaced out tread pattern that might serve you well in the muck. I found them quite grippy and responsive, but they are soft and I ride lots of hardpack, so they wore down quickly. Might work well in your conditions. Comes in 2.25 and 2.4.

Hisforever
    muddy mary
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

steep fast and loose :)
    stick with the big betty - i run in NE Scotland similar conditions, and the BB sheds well and grips like a limpet, especially gooey gluey formula.
    good puncture resistance too.
    i found kenda punctured way too easily, but were comparatively light.
    the BB has the perfect big hitting / trail riding volume to weight ratio too

Expert Crasher
    2009 Schwalbe Fat Albert.....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Members who have read this thread: 0