What size Flux?- Mtbr.com

Thread: What size Flux?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

What size Flux?

I'm looking at purchasing a flux frame and can't decide on which size I should get. I can't find one that is built up I've only seen frames. I"m 6'3" and have 34" inseam and ride cross country. The current frame that I have has a 23.5" toptupe with a 130 mm stem. I have the seat all the way back on the rails and it seems to feel o.k. I noticed that the flux has a 24.2" top tube in the large and a 25+" toptube on the XL. The XL also has a 6" head tube which seems quite long. So my questions is will a Large be too small?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ssuperlight
    I'm looking at purchasing a flux frame and can't decide on which size I should get. I can't find one that is built up I've only seen frames. I"m 6'3" and have 34" inseam and ride cross country. The current frame that I have has a 23.5" toptupe with a 130 mm stem. I have the seat all the way back on the rails and it seems to feel o.k. I noticed that the flux has a 24.2" top tube in the large and a 25+" toptube on the XL. The XL also has a 6" head tube which seems quite long. So my questions is will a Large be too small?
    I've got a couple customers with your dimensions that are happy riding larges. If you're strictly sizing on top tube, go to a local bike shop and hop on something with a similar length tt. It won't get you totally dialed on fit, but you'll have a good idea of what reach you feel good with. Most folks I know riding Fluxes have 100-110mm stems, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Obsessed
    I'm interested in sizing questions as well. I have a Medium Flux (see Cactuscorn's threads) coming in. I'm sure the Medium is fine as I'm 5'9" and have an inseam of about 32.5" (as best as I can measure on my own).

My question has to do with stem length and handlebar rise. I am thinking of going with a 100mm/0 degree rise stem but haven't decided between flat/low-rise/high-rise handlebars. Any thoughts and opinions on this my choice of stem and handlebar? I am leaning towards the low-rise handlebar.

This is my first full-suspension bike and my first high-end bike so am trying to figure out what is best on this. I will like to use the bike for general XC-trail riding (technical with roots and rock gardens) and do the occasional raid/24-hour relay event.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Santiago, glad to hear CC is standing by you on that frame purchase. He's a good man and you're going to be blown away by the Flux.

I'd actually go with the Thomson X4 stem. Thomsons are the best, and I can't recommend the larger (31.8 mm) clamp size enough (the regular Elite stem is 25.4 mm). It really feels solid and soaks up the bumps with almost no weight penalty. Where I really notice the difference is in rock gardens or rooty downhills. The repeated hits really make handlebars with the smaller clamp size vibrate. The larger clamp size dampens these vibrations much more and allows you to maintain much better steering control and feel. The 100 mm length is a good size. I switched from a 110 mm stem down to a 100 mm version on my Flux, and it made the steering perfect.

If you go with the 0 degree stem, I think you'll definitely want some sort of riser bar. The Flux is a little more stretched out on top than its competition, so to balance everything, you'll probably want to get your hand position up just a little bit, especially on longer rides. I'm not a fan of high rise bars, so I try to split the elevation between the stem (5 to 10 degrees) and lo-rise (20-25 mm) bars. IMHO, this provides the best balance between steering and comfort.
    Last edited by TLud; 09-13-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by TLud
    Santiago, glad to hear CC is standing by you on that frame purchase. He's a good man and you're going to be blown away by the Flux.

I'd actually go with the Thomson X4 stem. Thomsons are the best, and I can't recommend the larger (31.8 mm) clamp size enough (the regular Elite stem is 25.4 mm). It really feels solid and soaks up the bumps with almost no weight penalty. The 100 mm length is a good size. I switched from a 110 mm stem down to a 100 mm version on my Flux, and it made the steering perfect.

If you go with the 0 degree stem, I think you'll definitely want some sort of riser bar. The Flux is a little more stretched out on top than its competition, so to balance everything, you'll probably want to get your hand position up just a little bit. I'm not a fan of high rise bars, so I try to split the elevation between the stem (5 to 10 degrees) and lo-rise (20-25 mm) bars. IMHO, this provides the best balance between steering and comfort.
    Hi TLud,

Thanks. Definitely know how stand-up Cactuscorn has been in all this. Good karma will follow him around, I have no doubt.

Coincidentally the stem I decided on was the Thomson X4. Given that I only have a choice between the 100mm / 0 degree or 100mm/ 10 degree I figured I'd go for the 0 degree although I like your idea. I was worried that the 10 degree would be too high but with the low-rise bars it might be a good combo.

What bars do you run? I had settled on the Easton aluminum bars and was only trying to decide whether to go low-rise or high-rise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    Hi TLud,

Thanks. Definitely know how stand-up Cactuscorn has been in all this. Good karma will follow him around, I have no doubt.

Coincidentally the stem I decided on was the Thomson X4. Given that I only have a choice between the 100mm / 0 degree or 100mm/ 10 degree I figured I'd go for the 0 degree although I like your idea. I was worried that the 10 degree would be too high but with the low-rise bars it might be a good combo.

What bars do you run? I had settled on the Easton aluminum bars and was only trying to decide whether to go low-rise or high-rise.
    I was also worried that the 10 degree would be too high, and it seems like a big deal until you do the math or actually see and ride it. The 10 degree rise will only be 17.36 mm higher and 1.5 mm closer to the rider than the 0 degree rise. The difference in height is just a hair more than the difference between a low and high rise bar, so I think it is a good combo with the low rise bar. See if your LBS has one in stock and check it out in person.

I originally ordered the Easton EC-70 Monkeylite in the 31.8 mm clamp size, but it was on back order for a few weeks, so I've got the FSA K-Force low riser instead. It's almost exactly the same dimensions, about $10 cheaper, and I've noticed no difference in the durability, feel, or quality. Since I race, I had it cut down to 24 inches (610 mm), and there's still plenty of room on the bars for my shifters and brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ssuperlight
    If you're happy on your current steed with a 23.5" TT and 130 mm stem, that setup has the almost the same effective length as the 24.2" TT and 110 mm stem. Sounds like you could be fine on a large, but I agree with ignazjr, you should try it out in person.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Many people don't discuss arm reach. Measure your arm span by extending them out to your sides and keeping them parallel to the ground. Then measure fingetip to fingertip. I am 5'11" but have almost a 6'4" span. I fit a large perfectly. My inseam is 33. With arms that long, I like 24 plus TT- 24.5 is perfect. The large Flux fits well.

Be best if you can go sit on one. Do you have a nearby dealer?
    Last edited by Flyer; 09-13-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0