what size- Mtbr.com

Thread: what size

Young, Shawn Young

what size

Im thinking about building a 5spot and Im curious about frame size. I am 5'11 , 175 lbs, with a 32-33 inseam. What size frame do you think? Also, Im looking to build to under 30 lbs so Im curious how much more would I spend versus buying a prespec'ed bike. Thanks,

Shawn
    Last edited by Redmon; 06-22-2004 at 07:06 PM.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Im thinking about building a 5spot and I curious about frame size. I am 5'11 , 175 lbs, with a 32-33 inseam. What size frame do you think? Also, Im looking to build to under 30 lbs so Im curious how much more would I spend versus buying a prespec'ed bike. Thanks,

Shawn
    Hi Shawn,

I'm the same size as you, and I went with a large frame. I've had it for a few months now, and I'm sure I got the right size for me. I was on the fence for a while before I ordered it, but once I rode it, I've never questioned my decision. I was worried that with a medium, I'd end up with a lot (maybe too much?) post showing, and I'd have to run a longer stem than I'd like. On the large, the bottom of the seatpost is below the junction with the top tube, and I'm running a 100mm stem, which feels correct (although I'll be running a 105mm with the Maverick fork hopefully arriving this week, but that's another story for another post).

You'll dig the 5 spot, it's a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Im thinking about building a 5spot and I curious about frame size. I am 5'11 , 175 lbs, with a 32-33 inseam. What size frame do you think? Also, Im looking to build to under 30 lbs so Im curious how much more would I spend versus buying a prespec'ed bike. Thanks,

Shawn
    I'd say you’re a large, but what the hell do I know. Most everybody, including Turner, recommends that your selection be dependant on desired top tube length. Check out several of the threads below that ask about frame sizing. Typically it's an issue of medium vs. large and you might find some info that would help you decide.

A sub 30 lb Spot is definitely achievable. Several peeps, AK Chris and DGC to name a few, have theirs down into the 26-27 lb with very reasonable build kits including air shocks front and rear. When I originally built up my Spot I was disappointed by its 32 lbs and vowed I'd have it below 30 lbs. in a month or two. Ironically the opposite has occurred and now my Spot is in the 33-34 lb range, and I'm in now hurry to lighten up.

Price for a Spot vs. "prespec'ed bike"? Well that's pretty subjective, but plan on spending anywhere from $3500 to $5000 on a new Spot. The final outcome will obviously depend on the build and pricing offered by whatever retailer. When you're ready give Larry at Mnt. High Cyclery a shout. He carries a lot of respect in this forum for good reason.