mtbr member

What should I ride at Interbike?

Not sure if Turner is planning on being at the Interbike Dirt Demo, but if he's not.... what bikes should I put on my replacement dance card.

Anything from any of the other manufacturers you guys interested in hearing about?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I know Knolly is there but do not know if they are taking Chilcotins. If so....there is your assignment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    I know Knolly is there but do not know if they are taking Chilcotins. If so....there is your assignment.
    I think the plural of Chilcotin, is Chilcoti.

Paper or plastic?
    Does Ventana do the interbike demo?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Does Ventana do the interbike demo?
    They haven't for the past few years. I'm heading over on Sunday, but I can't say that I'm very excited about the Outdoor Demo this year. The number of companies demoing at the OD has been shrinking over the past couple of years, and I think a lot of the smaller guys will keep pulling out of the Outdoor Demo. It's just become too expensive for the smaller companies to let a bunch of shop monkeys (of which I count myself) that don't have much input into the shop's purchasing decisions ride around on their latest and greatest at Bootleg Canyon for a couple of days. The future seems to be moving to Dealer Camp and vendor-specific camps for the shops and Outerbike and traveling demo fleets for the consumers and cutting Interbike out of the marketing budget altogether.

Paper or plastic?
    Makes sense. Frankly, I haven't seen any bikes out there that make me want sell the current one. The 2 bikes that I'd like to hear some trail feedback on are the Mach 5.7 carbon and the Intense carbon trail bike (can't remember the name).

mtbr member
    Chilcotin v2, Yeti sb66 or whatever it's called, mojo HD, carbon nomad, firebird ( basically all the 6" ish bikes - I would like to hear your thoughts and comparisons between those bikes versus your Spot and Delirium)

My cup runneth over
    As many (and any) as possible.

I have enjoyed your reviews in the past and we sure miss the Tscheezy exposes of yesteryear.

Enjoy.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Makes sense. Frankly, I haven't seen any bikes out there that make me want sell the current one. The 2 bikes that I'd like to hear some trail feedback on are the Mach 5.7 carbon and the Intense carbon trail bike (can't remember the name).
    Go ride them both at Outerbike. Unlike Interbike it's an event geared specifically for ACTUALLY RIDING BIKES and it's open to the public.

JMH

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wish I were going. In no particular priority...

Nomad C
    Mojo HD
    Enduro Alum
    SB66
    Transition Bandit 29er (if avail)
    El Ciclon (if avail)
    Chilcotin (if avail)
    Rune (if avail)

Delirious Tuck
    Ibis Ripley!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Go ride them both at Outerbike. Unlike Interbike it's an event geared specifically for ACTUALLY RIDING BIKES and it's open to the public.

JMH
    Good call J.
    I may end up going to Outer bike also if I don't get any satisfaction from Interbike. It is getting more and more crowded with fewer of the manufacturers I'm interested in attending it seems lately.

If it's too crazy (or too hot) we may bag on the second day and just head for Brianhead.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Assuming the Ripley is there for test rides, which I doubt, it is high on my list. I'm not really in the market for a 6" bike (I'm about to find a new home for my V1 RFX), otherwise I'd be really interested in the Chilcotin. The Banshee Prime is another one I'd like to take out for a spin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Chilcotin v2, Yeti sb66 or whatever it's called, mojo HD, carbon nomad, firebird ( basically all the 6" ish bikes - I would like to hear your thoughts and comparisons between those bikes versus your Spot and Delirium)
    My feelings exactly. Add a Trek Slash and Giant Reign X

mtbr member
    If I could add to your six inch ish list, I would like to hear about the Intense Carbine -- I don't know if it will be there, but the bike has caught my interest and I've been on the 5 spot since '07. About time to update for something more efficient, lighter and updated geo.

edit: the new spot looks good too, but the carbon interest me and I usually have to earn my downs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Carbine
    Tracer 2
    Spider 29
    RFX
    SB66
    SB95
    Mojo HD

:-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good call J.
    I may end up going to Outer bike also if I don't get any satisfaction from Interbike. It is getting more and more crowded with fewer of the manufacturers I'm interested in attending it seems lately.

If it's too crazy (or too hot) we may bag on the second day and just head for Brianhead.
    Rob, Team Sanchez will be in Moab the weekend of Outerbike. If you're interested in joining us let me know and I'll get you on the email list and a spot reserved in the condo. I'll also be down in Vegas next Wednesday thru Friday. I'm not sure how much of the show I'll be attending but I hope to be able to sneak over for a couple of hours. I'll PM you my cel number so we can hook up even if it's just for dinner one of the nights.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Rfx

Turner guys told me the RFX would be ready at Interbike.

mtbr member
    RFX may be ready for the indoor show, but they're not going to be at the Dirt Demo unfortunately...kinda bummed because I definitely wanted to get some trail time on the RFX! Ah well...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Your azz off! Demo a Reign X, I've always wondered about that bike.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I'd like to see some demo rides with any FS 29ers sportin the Revelation 140 or Fox 34 140 forks to get a general comparison.....since I already got my 2011 DW sale frame ordered anyway ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FanatikBike.com View Post
    RFX may be ready for the indoor show, but they're not going to be at the Dirt Demo unfortunately...kinda bummed because I definitely wanted to get some trail time on the RFX! Ah well...
    Really? I figured Jaybo was just yanking the chain a bit.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Yep. Those are on the list (except the Firebird.... although I should give it another chance as I had a less than favorable impression the first time I rode it two years ago). Got the Intense Carbine on the list too. Thanks Weaver.

Good list wilks. Unfortunately the Chilcotin will not be available at Dirt Demo although I heard that the first batch of production frames was received yesterday and it sounds like Noel is showing a couple built up Chilis at the indoor show.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-10-2011 at 08:13 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    Rob, Team Sanchez will be in Moab the weekend of Outerbike. If you're interested in joining us let me know and I'll get you on the email list and a spot reserved in the condo. I'll also be down in Vegas next Wednesday thru Friday. I'm not sure how much of the show I'll be attending but I hope to be able to sneak over for a couple of hours. I'll PM you my cel number so we can hook up even if it's just for dinner one of the nights.
    It's sounding more and more like I should have bagged I-bike and registered for OuterBike. The Chili and the RFX may be ready and available to demo by then.

We're heading out Wednesday morning for Gooseberry and then on to Moab. Looks like we'll just miss you, Ron. I'll let you know if I can make O-bike. Thanks for the offer.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN View Post
    I'd like to see some demo rides with any FS 29ers sportin the Revelation 140 or Fox 34 140 forks to get a general comparison.....since I already got my 2011 DW sale frame ordered anyway ! TIG.
    Will do. Good point TIG. I've wondered about the new 140 29er offerings from Fox and Rock Shox. Will these forks finally make the AM 29er relevant?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Your azz off! Demo a Reign X, I've always wondered about that bike.
    Really, I thought you were the self confessed climber that's slow on the downs? They are great bikes though. Definitely DWesque and can be built up as light as a Spot.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Will do. Good point TIG. I've wondered about the new 140 29er offerings from Fox and Rock Shox. Will these forks finally make the AM 29er relevant?
    This should be killer. Has me a little interested in a 29er.

Transition Bandit Spec'd with a 34

It'd be nice if DT transformed the Sultan into something like this, geometry wise, after his carbon xc race 29er is released.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

No

Really? I figured Jaybo was just yanking the chain a bit.
    I was at Sea Otter in April of this year and talked to the Turner guys. They said the RFX would be at Interbike ready to go. I also talked to a local bike shop who told me they talked to the Turner guys recently are worried about going oversees because the homers might turn on him. They are talking about one bike going carbon: it looks like the Flux. There you go, some rumors that may or may not be true. The RFX rumor I heard from the guys...lets see if those bikes are ready to go. I do think Turner is up to something because they are blowing inventory out....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    [QUOTE=Jaybo;8432638.[B] I do think Turner is up to something because they are blowing inventory out....[[/B]/QUOTE]

Where?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Looks like DT & Co will have a booth at # 12107

Maybe there's something new to show after all.

Muahahahha
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I looked at the exhibitor map for the Outdoor demo and I may go out Monday afternoon and not even bother going on Tuesday. It looks like the only MTB manufacturers that I'm remotely interested in are:
    Santa Cruz, Pivot, Salsa, Giant, Specialized, Intense. And I won't be buying a mountain bike from any of these companies any time soon. Disappointing, but I'm not surprised. May have to plan a trip to Outerbike for next year.

Delirious Tuck
    Well we know the 2011 stuff is out dated since eurobike had the Spot, Sultan, Flux, and DHR which may be why they're being blow out. They're also still Alu and still being made in US... maybe the RFX and carbon XC 29er are coming from Taiwan and be at Interbike?

Paper or plastic?
    Were you able to ride anything at Interbike?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    For a couple of different reasons, I didn't. It seemed to me that with the limited number of bike makers there, there weren't really that many bikes for the attendees to ride, relative to the number of attendees. And honestly, my stable is pretty much where I want it to be, for now, so there wasn't much that interested me either.

So I rode a couple of the loops on my Sultan and realized how much more fun those trails are on my own bike that's set up how I want it with tires that don't suck.

mtbr member
    Were you able to ride anything at Interbike?
    We were disappointed at how many of our favorite companies were absent but still rode something like 20 bikes.

I'm in Moab now and will try and get the reports up when I get home.

Teaser: Favorite bike of the the show was a "Spot".
    Last edited by KRob; 09-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Laughing

We were disappointed at how many of my favorite companies were absent but still rode something like 20 bikes.

I'm in Moab now and will try and get the reports up when I get home.

Teaser: Favorite bike of the the show was a "Spot".
    What bike do you own again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    What bike do you own again?
    It did feel good to get back on my "5" Spot up at Gooseberry the day after the Dirt Demo but that's not the Spot I was talking about.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-19-2011 at 11:44 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I hear you, dog It is good to be a Turner homer. Did they fix the funky cable routing, long head tubes, overly linear travel, and other nuances of the 2009/10 frames? Other than that, they are pretty much perfect bikes Good call!!!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    This should be killer. Has me a little interested in a 29er.

Transition Bandit Spec'd with a 34

It'd be nice if DT transformed the Sultan into something like this, geometry wise, after his carbon xc race 29er is released.

What about the transition interests you? Pretty close copy of the 2012 Sultan IMO.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post
    What about the transition interests you? Pretty close copy of the 2012 Sultan IMO.
    Maybe you should take a look at the geometry of the Sultan and Bandit to compare. They're different animals. Based on my e-demo of the bike I like the idea of the significantly shorter stays at 17.6", slacker HA at 68.5*, and short reach to help reign in the WB. The BB is also 13" with a 140 fork -- I'm open to debate that it's too low, at least in my neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe you should take a look at the geometry of the Sultan and Bandit to compare. They're different animals. Based on my e-demo of the bike I like the idea of the significantly shorter stays at 17.6", slacker HA at 68.5*, and short reach to help reign in the WB. The BB is also 13" with a 140 fork -- I'm open to debate that it's too low, at least in my neck of the woods.
    I just bolted a Talas 34 onto my Sultan, and it turned it into a monster truck in the chunk. At 140, it's a bit too relaxed for steep tech climbing, but great slammed down to 110.

The Transition looks like a cool bike except for the ridiculously short top tube. A half inch increase in wheelbase would be nearly unnoticeable, but a half inch more top tube is a huge change in feel.
    Whining is not a strategy.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I just bolted a Talas 34 onto my Sultan, and it turned it into a monster truck in the chunk.

How do you like the handling of the Sultan w Fox 34 such as on tight twisty single track trails ? Looking at this fork or the Revelation for my next project.....right now there are times I wish I had 140 mm of travel but most of the time I'm happy with my current 120 mm in the twisty stuff ! Maybe the Talas option is the way to go ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN View Post
    How do you like the handling of the Sultan w Fox 34 such as on tight twisty single track trails ? Looking at this fork or the Revelation for my next project.....right now there are times I wish I had 140 mm of travel but most of the time I'm happy with my current 120 mm in the twisty stuff ! Maybe the Talas option is the way to go ! TIG.
    Honestly, in tight twisty single track, 140 is overkill, and slows the handling down maybe just a smidge too much. But less of an issue than I expected, and it rips that stuff up in the 110 setting. The new 34 is a much stouter platform than I expected. Very noticeable compared to the Float/F29/whatever 32 platform.

I hate to be the "nothing is ever quite perfect" Goldilocks guy, but if the new Talas 34 was 140/120 instead of 140/110, life would indeed be perfect!
    Whining is not a strategy.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Honestly, in tight twisty single track, 140 is overkill, and slows the handling down maybe just a smidge too much. But less of an issue than I expected, and it rips that stuff up in the 110 setting. The new 34 is a much stouter platform than I expected. Very noticeable compared to the Float/F29/whatever 32 platform.

I hate to be the "nothing is ever quite perfect" Goldilocks guy, but if the new Talas 34 was 140/120 instead of 140/110, life would indeed be perfect!

Thanks, stout is good...........now if I can find a really good deal on one ! Yeah , I know.....good luck with that being its most likely the hottest 29er trail fork on the market right now ! TIG.

mtbr member
    The Transition looks like a cool bike except for the ridiculously short top tube. A half inch increase in wheelbase would be nearly unnoticeable, but a half inch more top tube is a huge change in feel.
    While the ETT is short the actual TT of the bike isn't that short. Look at the "reach" of both bikes. They are identical in both large and XL sizes. The only reason the ETT is shorter on the Bandit is because its SA is steeper. I think a lot of people would agree "reach" is more important than ETT when it come to the feel of a bike.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Ride this

Give it a try
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Delirious Tuck
    Concur, shorter stays on the Sultan would be tremendous, mean less wind up for me in the tight and manualing through the rough stuff would be a bit easier. I really think the Ripley is great except for the HTA, coulda done a degree slacker; which means for non-DW the SB95 or Bandit are probably super solid.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Day One reviews are up.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

My cup runneth over
    Cool. Thanks for the write up. Maybe it was good not to have Knolly and Turner participation so that we wouldn't have to hear endless comments on knomer/homer bias

mtbr member
    If you got to ride Jaybo's suggestion, please post some pics of that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Awesome reviews. Liking the cove

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegobustillos View Post
    Awesome reviews. Liking the cove
    Thanks.

The rest of Dirt Demo Day 2 reviews are up....if anyone is still tuned in.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks.

The rest of Dirt Demo Day 2 reviews are up....if anyone is still tuned in.
    So what was your favorite bike of the show? any time on the SC Blur TrC?

Thanks for taking all the time to right these reviews. It is a great starting point when looking for a new bike.

TG