mtbr member

what marz 66 for a rfx?

i'm pretty to new to the world of mtb and have been only riding for less than a yr. i'm interested in purchasing a 2006 marz 66 but don't have idea which is better for me. i read the marz web site but there not much to help me decipher which for is best; Rc2x, sl, light, coil vs. coil/air vs. air. i need a veterans help and expertise. right now i use my rfx is my only bike so i use it for everything, i'm looking for something that i can take anywhere but won't suffer too much going up.

FM
    mtbr member
    I'd like for you to get the RC2X so I can get a good review from you before I buy one for myself!

I would probably get the 66 light if you want an all 'rounder. I expect the RC2X to have better DH performance due to rthe extra tunability, but it's heavier and no ETA so not as uphill-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    i'm pretty to new to the world of mtb and have been only riding for less than a yr. i'm interested in purchasing a 2006 marz 66 but don't have idea which is better for me. i read the marz web site but there not much to help me decipher which for is best; Rc2x, sl, light, coil vs. coil/air vs. air. i need a veterans help and expertise. right now i use my rfx is my only bike so i use it for everything, i'm looking for something that i can take anywhere but won't suffer too much going up.

Team Sanchez
    Sounds like the 66 Light ETA is what you are looking for. I've been running one on my 6-pack for the past month, and so far, it gets 2 thumbs up. It is light enough that it can be climbed, and if you like to lower your front end for those super steep climbs you can do it too. This is an excellent fork for heavier riders, as you can set your sag with the positive air chamber, instead of swapping out springs. Zoke really got it right this time. I will be doing my first oil change on this fork tonight, and will post a full review of it after the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~~~~~~~~
    the two options for uphill peformance are the SL's adjustable travel, or the ETA of the light.

The ETA helps for the smooth ups but is debatable for tech ups. At 170mm travel the 66 is going to be better suited for fast steep downhill action as well.

The SL's adjustable travel is going to allow you to fine tune the ride height of the fork and truly give you the best uphill and downhill performance possible in terms of dialing in the geometry, it just won't be a flip of the switch, as the adjusting of the air pressures is not simple.

I would lean toward the SL unless you are doing roads up and looking at DH bike handling going down.

Just another FOC'er
    For some people the ETA is really nice for climbing and I'm one of them. A buddy of mine just got a Light ETA and it's really sweet. The ETA locks down so only about 2" of stanchion show.

Right now I've got a Z150 w/ETA on my Pack, but I'm thinking about the 66 Light ETA. That would slack out the bike a bit though making it a little less responsive on tight singletrack. It would also make it super nice on the really steep stuff.

The 66SL would be perfect if ETA wasn't something you really wanted for climbing and if having an adjustable height fork was important.

The RC2X is definitely more of a DH fork. I'd love to have this one, but the climbing position would do me in.

not so super...
    I find that climbing with the ETA engaged is nearly impossible. It throws the geometry all out of whack and for ME it makes climbing more difficult. YMMV

For my use the 66SL seems perfect.
    Nothing to see here.

Just another FOC'er

YMMV indeed

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I find that climbing with the ETA engaged is nearly impossible. It throws the geometry all out of whack and for ME it makes climbing more difficult. YMMV

For my use the 66SL seems perfect.
    This just shows why you should try before you buy

I do have friends that don't bother using ETA even when they have it. For them it doesn't help. I've got disproportionately long legs and I think that may be a factor. Longer legs means higher seat and weight further back. Couple that with a shorter upper body and the front gets pretty light without ETA.

On real techno rocky climbs I leave it off, but sit on the nose of the seat. That gets old pretty quick.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    This just shows why you should try before you buy

I do have friends that don't bother using ETA even when they have it. For them it doesn't help. I've got disproportionately long legs and I think that may be a factor. Longer legs means higher seat and weight further back. Couple that with a shorter upper body and the front gets pretty light without ETA.

On real techno rocky climbs I leave it off, but sit on the nose of the seat. That gets old pretty quick.
    All you need is a beer belly. It helps put more of your weight over the center of the frame so the handling is better (yeah, that's it!)
    Nothing to see here.

Just another FOC'er

Yeah, that's the ticket!

All you need is a beer belly. It helps put more of your weight over the center of the frame so the handling is better (yeah, that's it!)
    I'll be working on that over Christmas, but if our SoCal weather stays the way it's been I'll probably end up skinnier than ever

Here's a pic of the 66 Light ETA and Z1 150 side by side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    I'll be working on that over Christmas, but if our SoCal weather stays the way it's been I'll probably end up skinnier than ever

Here's a pic of the 66 Light ETA and Z1 150 side by side.
    Looks like they shortened the distance from the crown to the knobs and the legs are wider. Is anyone having a problem with the adjuster knobs hitting the downtube when the fork spins? I visually checked a fox 36 on my RFX and it was not a problem but that 66 looks huge!

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Looks like they shortened the distance from the crown to the knobs and the legs are wider. Is anyone having a problem with the adjuster knobs hitting the downtube when the fork spins? I visually checked a fox 36 on my RFX and it was not a problem but that 66 looks huge!
    Yeah, too bad we didn't get a shot with the Z1 in front of the 66 with the crown surfaces lined up. I made a quick measurement and wasn't convinced that it would clear the DT on my medium Pack. Maybe El Chingon can tell us how much clearance he's got. I think his is maybe an XL though?

Marz did do a nice job of making the knobs very low profile, but it is a burly looking wide fork. It does make the Z1 look tiny and I used to think that fork looked big.

Team Sanchez
    There are about 7 mm of clearance between the downtube, and the crown, but that is on my XL pack.

Hisforever
    can someone insert a picture of Fox's 36 next to a z150 and the new 66?

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    plenty of room on my 66 rc/18" rfx combo if that means anything to ya. kinda suprised me really as i too worried about that massive fork clearing the down tube.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    plenty of room on my 66 rc/18" rfx combo if that means anything to ya. kinda suprised me really as i too worried about that massive fork clearing the down tube.
    Yours is an 05 right? The one in my pic is an 06, I wonder if the clearance is the same? In the process of dropping the height 30mm the crowns may have been raised a little. Don't know, but it's possible.

We're building up another Pack at my place tonight. Hopefully the Belgium ale refresments won't make for an interesting result This Pack started off white, but my friend, being a USC grad took it over to Olympic PC to have the front tri painted USC yellow, and then over to the Turner shop to have it re-stickered. He's had the frame since September though, unridden. That would have killed me.

Hopefully we'll get some pics of it and mine as well. Mine's more of a freeridey build (hmmm, is that a word), and his will be more of a 'trail bike' with a Pike, Crossmax, etc.

Flyin Canine
    Yeah, if you guys can provide more info that would be great. Right now it's all speculation.

I ride a 16.5 2001 RFX and am wondering about this fork. I'm guessing that the 05 that cactus has will have more clearance although I'm just saying that after eyeballing the new crowns. The fact that the 06 clears the XL pack by 7mm is good. I am guessing that the downtube doesn't change slope by enough on the smaller models to use up 7mm of clearance and even if it did you can always get an extra mm or two with different headsets and stuff.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Yeah, if you guys can provide more info that would be great. Right now it's all speculation.

I ride a 16.5 2001 RFX and am wondering about this fork. I'm guessing that the 05 that cactus has will have more clearance although I'm just saying that after eyeballing the new crowns. The fact that the 06 clears the XL pack by 7mm is good. I am guessing that the downtube doesn't change slope by enough on the smaller models to use up 7mm of clearance and even if it did you can always get an extra mm or two with different headsets and stuff.
    Maybe use the tall CK crown race made by Ventana? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141661
    Nothing to see here.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not sure if this answeres the question but ill tell ya that measured off a horizontle plain, i have 5/16" between the top of the fork crown to the top of the adjuster knob on my '05 66 rc. the centerline measurment from the steerer to the knob is 2 7/8". from there you should be able to gauge if the new fork will fit like a '05. hope this helps.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Flyin Canine
    Maybe use the tall CK crown race made by Ventana? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141661
    Thanks ssinga, I was thinking along those lines if the fit is close. I had to do some creative work on a juliana and on my HH100 in the past. On the Julie I used a fatter stack height headset and on the HH I used the double crown race fix from Charles. I really like that ventana job. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not sure if this answeres the question but ill tell ya that measured off a horizontle plain, i have 5/16" between the top of the fork crown to the top of the adjuster knob on my '05 66 rc. the centerline measurment from the steerer to the knob is 2 7/8". from there you should be able to gauge if the new fork will fit like a '05. hope this helps.

Thanks Cactus. Those measurements should come in handy and are hard to get from the manufacturer's web site.

Members who have read this thread: 0