What kinda tires are ppl using on there 5er's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What kinda tires are ppl using on there 5er's

I currently have fire xc's in 2.1, have liked these tires for a long time..but now that i can use a bigger tire..and cause i wanna try something different.. just want to get some opinions i like the blue groove, nevegal a friend has one of each and likes them alot, but also interested in scwalbe but dont know much about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gritsngravy
    I currently have fire xc's in 2.1, have liked these tires for a long time..but now that i can use a bigger tire..and cause i wanna try something different.. just want to get some opinions i like the blue groove, nevegal a friend has one of each and likes them alot, but also interested in scwalbe but dont know much about them.
    Choosing tires has more to do with the terrain you ride and your style of riding than it has to do with the bike. If you let us know the terrain and your riding style, it would help.

My current favorites are the WTB Weirwolf 2.5 front and Geax Sturdy 2.2 rear. It's a great setup for almost all dry conditions. I hear they do well in wet conditions, but have not tried that yet. The Weirwolf is great in loose conditions, but only OK on slickrock and hard packed fire roads. I use the Sturdys front and rear on slickrock.

My old favorite used to be the Fire XC Pro, but since I got the 5 Spot, I've been trying larger tires. The Fire XC Pros are good tires, but don't compare to the traction of the Sturdys

mtbr member

We the people ... Check this...

Check the 5-Spot setup data base thread... you'll be able to match tires to riding styles: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=27489
    "Why does this applied science, which saves work and makes life easier, bring us so little happiness? The simple answer runs: Because we have not yet learned to make sensible use of it."
    Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Conti Gravity Protection 2.3's ...

with Stan's tubeless. Seems to be a great all around tire for our dry, Colorado conditions. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I love my Weirwolf 2.5's on the front, but they pack up with mud. So, I'm looking
    until the trails dry out. The ones in consideration so far are: Maxxis Swamp Thing,
    IRC Trailbear 2.5, some knobby DH tire in 2.3 size, and maybe just running the WTB Timberwolf in the front only (rubs fr. deraileur in rear).

..snip My current favorites are the WTB Weirwolf 2.5 front and Geax Sturdy 2.2 rear. It's a great setup for almost all dry conditions. I hear they do well in wet conditions, ..snip