what i did on my summer vacation- Mtbr.com
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

what i did on my summer vacation

it wasnt all fun but it wasnt all bad. 6 of us in Team Marley met outside of a closed downtown Sioux City, Ia. bar sat am at 9 and left for a 80 mile ride to RAGBRAI's start town of Missouri Valley 1 hour later pickin up another rider just down the road. it was hot, humid and windy. very much so really. temps in the high 80's, wet blanket air, aprox 50 beers and 76 miles of headwinds as we made our way south eventually trapped in a lightning storm 12 miles north of camp as night came but we made it. camp was next to the train tracks with a 3 motor locomotive goin by about every 15 to 20 min but who cares after another few cases of beer?

sunday brought more heat, humidity, wind and a hilly 65 miles. the 2nd most hilly rag in history. goin was slow as many bonked, fell off the back badly only to rejoin the group down the road in a town or 2. i was 1 of those who bonked hard and spent a hour plus under a tree next to a winery with most of Team SKA (self kontained alchohalics) who we would spend most of the day with after. brothers with bags ya know. it was great to hook up with this group cuz goin solo in these conditions with a BoB is tougher than draftin with 1 and even that is no picnic.

some of the best moments were sittin in the shade sayin "heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!" on cue to passer bys in our best limp wristed voices and the band who played tons of Tool in the last town as we danced and drank more beer. it wasnt the liquid, these guys were fockin good!

then i get home to a trashed house and no power for 2 days. a major storm hit the west and unprotected windward side of our property with 95 mph gusts and laid everything over. ive spent 3 days with a chainsaw in my hands. squish came by tues and helped me clear the roof. thanx buddy! yer the only person to lend a hand in the past 4 days. the rest has been all me besides a half assed hour from candycorrns kid and some light rake work from the girl. everythings on the ground now so were waitin to have the piles cleared once we finish makin them. the roofers were out yesterday to patch it up before last nights storm hit but its not fixed. we still may lose a few more trees and the fence will need some serious work to upright it again, maybe a full replacement. too bad. its a all cedar job i built on a vacation day before movin out here. im sure theres more damage but most everything is under control and waitin for the ins adjuster and a work crew.

we got off easy compared to many so life is still cool. the ride pics:

1) mark and i did this all weekend just for kicks.
    2) most of the sat gang outside of onawa.
    3) taggin another sign.
    4) the marley tag.
    5) billthy, 1 of our NYC pals, asleep sun am ON TOP of a borrowed rain fly. this is typical billthy.
    6) somewhere mid day with marley and ska.
    7) step brothers ed and bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

if ive been reported missing from mtbr the past 6 days, this is part of the reason. our house monday mornin and the wood pile yesterday. i took today off cleanup detail. im killed after 45 hours of work and 145 miles in the saddle, all in the sun over 5 days. im not good in the sun.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Bummer about the house CC. That roof damage looks pretty nasty. Looks like you got some firewood out of it though.

I've read several stories about the RAGBRAI, and every time I read something I tell myself that needs to go on the list of things I must do. This year it's to make it to the THC. Maybe next year I'll get to Iowa.

nuthin like a cozy fireside snuggle with candycorn.

yer always welcome to ride with us. seriously, just say the word.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Sanchez
    Looks like goodtimes CC. Slim, Moose Knuckle and I spent our summer vacation in the Yucatan....I"ll save the racey pics for later......This is a shot of my wife sneaking up on a 10 foot manta ray.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 07-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member

bummer

Looks like a great time ridin cross country CC-bummer about the storm damage to the crib. Nuthin like workin ya arse off after mother natures fury.

~~~~~~~~
    pretty crappy weather you've had this year.

love the photo of the guy asleep amongst the beer cans.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Dude, your garage is like in the middle of your lawn! How cool is that.

Nice ride report.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Cc

sorry to hear about the house. Looks like you have plenty of material for stunts in the backyard.

RAGBRAI, never ridden any of it, but I did partake in a few of the city wide parties.

With RAGBRAI over-nighting; small towns of 5 thousand become 20 thousand plus of drunken wildness. And if there is a lake in town, skinny dipping is in.

THC 2010...RAGBRAI

Members who have read this thread: 0