What happened to this forum? - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Almost August and no sign from Turner. I donít speak for DT, nor do I have any inside knowledge but from the outside looking in, the Turner experiment looks to be done. I hope DT calls BS but actions speak louder than words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Been riding a lot this Summer. Winter was kind of a drag because I had to get surgery to fix my ankle. Definitely making up for it. Lots to eat on this ride yesterday.

Attachment 1264907Attachment 1264905Attachment 1264903Attachment 1264897Attachment 1264899Attachment 1264901Attachment 1264895
    Most of that looks like bear food!
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    I sure am digging my Evil Offering but I still take the RFX for a walk at least once a week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I sure am digging my Evil Offering but I still take the RFX for a walk at least once a week.
    How do the two bikes compare ridewise?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    How do the two bikes compare ridewise?

Apples and Oranges. RFX is more burly and less playful. Probably a better technical climber but that is offset by the bigger wheels on the 29r to a large extent. Offering is faster and more fun on most trails but I still grab the RFX when things are steep and rowdy. I'm not very good a bike reviews.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Still rocking, although yesterday the SLX freehub on my backup wheel was less than ďrockingĒ. Rebuilding the primary today.

What happened to this forum?-e2c691b5-0526-44c3-b6d0-6ac89972f49c.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Apples and Oranges. RFX is more burly and less playful. Probably a better technical climber but that is offset by the bigger wheels on the 29r to a large extent. Offering is faster and more fun on most trails but I still grab the RFX when things are steep and rowdy. I'm not very good a bike reviews.
    I thought the Offering was for steep and rowdy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Still rocking, although yesterday the SLX freehub on my backup wheel was less than ďrockingĒ. Rebuilding the primary today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2C691B5-0526-44C3-B6D0-6AC89972F49C.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	403.3 KB 
ID:	1271023
    Great pic!

mtbr member
    I thought the Offering was for steep and rowdy?

For some sure. Run it in X-Low with a 160mm fork. I'm finding it, however, a very well-balanced all-rounder at 140R/150F in the Low setting. Very fun bike. I did just ride it to a pretty good finish for an old guy (23rd overall) at the Abajo Enduro in Ootah.

That said, having a 170mm Lyrik out front on the RFX at the top of a gnarly descent brings a lot of confidence.

Wheelbase on the medium Offering I'm on is only 0.4" (10mm) longer than the L RFX. It doesn't ride like the 29rs of old that's for sure. What happened to this forum anyway?

mtbr member
    R i p

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Does Turner still make bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xler8 View Post
    Does Turner still make bikes?
    Yes. You can even buy them on-line. (:

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Thanks, but it was a rhetorical question really. Their presence in the MTB world has diminished significantly. It's sad because I was a big fan and owned\own many of their models.

Hopefully good things to come in the future from Turner? Only time will tell...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Still kickin it on an RFX

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    RFX still relevant. AZ MBAA Enduro series race #1 today.

What happened to this forum?-finish.jpg

What happened to this forum?-push.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sunrise? Cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    RFX still relevant. AZ MBAA Enduro series race #1 today.

Name:	Finish.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	1279619

Name:	Push.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	1279621
    RFX better than your Offering?

mtbr member
    RFX better than your Offering?

Nope but as I said above in posts #405 and 409 the RFX is my go-to when things get burly.

This race was DH-ish with no uphill transfers. Next one in the series has plenty of climbing and the Offering will be the tool of choice.

What happened to this forum?-stage-1.jpg

Roy
    mtbr member
    Really?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What happened to this forum?-turnerbikes.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Available or not, none of those bikes are of interest to me. Sure they are viable but dated. Donít know of anyone with a Turner on the top of their list (or on their list). Turner makes great stuff but no longer relevant. RIP!

mtbr member
    The new lineup is coming!!!!

mtbr member
    Sultan, gnar-fx, bling Kahn ti, jive hot 5spot, 29er dh-gnar and of course all these bikes contain anti gravity dw7 links!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Really?
    Well, some of them were available when I made my post!

With that said, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. But honestly, I don't think Turner is going to come out with a replacement for its entire lineup in the next 6 months.

mtbr member
    The new lineup will soon be released from lord wizards dt and dw!!!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Nope. He is slowly retiring.

%$#$*!
    DT said it himself that the high end mtb market will be replaced by e-mtbís in about 5-8 years. I think heís operating his business based on that outlook. Unless he decides to make one more run of bikes or comes out with an e-rfx (highly unlikely) it seems like the writingís on the wall. Maybe just focusing on gravel bikes until retirement? I wish him the best. Heís made some amazing bikes.

mtbr member
    God Bless the real D.T.

mtbr member
    Rfx ftw fo shure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    DT said it himself that the high end mtb market will be replaced by e-mtbís in about 5-8 years. I think heís operating his business based on that outlook. Unless he decides to make one more run of bikes or comes out with an e-rfx (highly unlikely) it seems like the writingís on the wall. Maybe just focusing on gravel bikes until retirement? I wish him the best. Heís made some amazing bikes.

Yeah, I tend to agree. The majority of MTBers you see at trailheads are older guys. As the base gets older - they will move to eMTB's to keep riding.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I wish him the best. Heís made some amazing bikes.
    +1

He will always be the Man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, some of them were available when I made my post!

With that said, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. But honestly, I don't think Turner is going to come out with a replacement for its entire lineup in the next 6 months.
    Good thing or a bad thing -- they have either sold the company to a larger distributor, and new bikes are coming, or they are going out of business. It should be clear to anyone who's done business with them in the last year or so that it's not the company it used to be. I don't fault them -- business is tough and nothing lasts forever. But something is up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Nope. He is slowly retiring.
    My money is on this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Available or not, none of those bikes are of interest to me. Sure they are viable but dated. Donít know of anyone with a Turner on the top of their list (or on their list). Turner makes great stuff but no longer relevant. RIP!

Bought an RFX last year -- it was on the top of my list, because I had really wanted that bike since it was released in 2016. Like you said, it is a viable bike. A solid bike. A beautiful looking bike. A lot of great things about that bike. BUT... That being said, I got to ride some other, newer options since then, and if I had known then what I know now, I would probably be on something a little more updated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The R View Post
    It should be clear to anyone who's done business with them in the last year or so that it's not the company it used to be. I don't fault them -- business is tough and nothing lasts forever. But something is up.
    It's a shame (IMHO) how he's kinda just letting everything slowly fade into oblivion, especially when at their peak Turner probably had one of the most loyal brand followings in the industry. In a way I don't blame him though, you're right business is tough with ever-changing standards, over-saturation of boutique brands, the move from US-made aluminium frames to Asian made carbon, etc etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My Sultan rides like a dream. What an awesome bike. Not sure why it seemed appropriate to post that here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty13 View Post
    My Sultan rides like a dream. What an awesome bike. Not sure why it seemed appropriate to post that here.
    I still ride my 5-Spot and love it. I thought about picking up an old Sultan and spent a good bit of time on a friends bike. Then I test rode a Ripley. I bought the Ripley. The Sultan is a great bike that is fun to ride. But the Ripley, like many of the newer bikes, is just a different beast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thank you for that insight, Vespasianus. And here I thought it couldn't get any better. As I've read elsewhere, it's a good time to be into mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    In case it isn't obvious, I've been living under a rock. I actually thought that the 2016 Sultans (2014 v2) were "modern" geometry.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Bought an RFX last year -- it was on the top of my list, because I had really wanted that bike since it was released in 2016. Like you said, it is a viable bike. A solid bike. A beautiful looking bike. A lot of great things about that bike. BUT... That being said, I got to ride some other, newer options since then, and if I had known then what I know now, I would probably be on something a little more updated.
    I'm kind of opposite of that, I got it years ago, when it came out, and there's nothing out there that interests me to make me want to "upgrade". Nothing would be that much of an upgrade to make it remotely worth it. I'm around 65 or slightly less HTA, 170mm front, 160 coil rear, custom tuned on both ends, can ride it all day, have a nice size dropper, great drivetrain, etc. It's been stout and it's showing no signs of letting up. Maybe given a clean slate I wouldn't go with it right now, but already having it, I just have no want to upgrade. Money isn't an issue, the marginal improvements that the industry ties to sell us as revolutionary are.

mtbr member
    Iím surprised Turner is still in business. When I first started biking I really wanted a Turner 5 spot and followed them closely since I was local to them. Never got a chance to own one sadly and now it looks like they havenít updated much since the RFX which looked like a killer bike a few years ago. I think the carbon market doomed them like a lot of in house manufactures. Curious to see if they continue to update and really hope they do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty13 View Post
    Thank you for that insight, Vespasianus. And here I thought it couldn't get any better. As I've read elsewhere, it's a good time to be into mountain biking.
    Yeah, but honestly, I always say that if you are happy with what you ride, keep ridding it! I also ride a 1995 Stumpjumper that I have tons of fun on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The Asian carbon/death of US aluminum factor definitely puts the squeeze on boutique US brands. It strikes me that boutique carbon in the US is really only feasible if you can afford to develop innovative technology to do it in-house - like say, Guerrilla Gravity. But for established boutique brands like Turner, that's a big and expensive ask. Profit margins are probably tight and costs to develop the tech - not to mention paying for the equipment, setup a supply stream, etc. - are prohibitive. That's better suited to start ups.

The other boutique market that seems to be feasible is TI - again because it can be done in-house or outsourced domestically. A good amount of boutique TI brands appear to be doing well.

I think Asia carbon is just too problematic for boutique brands. Way too many factors beyond your control for small brands to deal with. Asia carbon needs a big company infrastructure to work.

For me, unless DT has something "big" in the works to do carbon or TI in-house and/or domestic, I think, sadly, we may be witnessing Turner peter out as a brand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmtb View Post
    The Asian carbon/death of US aluminum factor definitely puts the squeeze on boutique US brands. It strikes me that boutique carbon in the US is really only feasible if you can afford to develop innovative technology to do it in-house - like say, Guerrilla Gravity. But for established boutique brands like Turner, that's a big and expensive ask. Profit margins are probably tight and costs to develop the tech - not to mention paying for the equipment, setup a supply stream, etc. - are prohibitive. That's better suited to start ups.

The other boutique market that seems to be feasible is TI - again because it can be done in-house or outsourced domestically. A good amount of boutique TI brands appear to be doing well.

I think Asia carbon is just too problematic for boutique brands. Way too many factors beyond your control for small brands to deal with. Asia carbon needs a big company infrastructure to work.

For me, unless DT has something "big" in the works to do carbon or TI in-house and/or domestic, I think, sadly, we may be witnessing Turner peter out as a brand.
    Yeah, but what is a boutique brand? Ibis came from nowhere and created a band. Same with Pivot. Heck, now Caynon, YT, Ghost, Fezarri, etc are all doing it. Seems easier than ever actually - but only if you want to do it and play the game. And I don't think DT wants to play THAT game.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Iím surprised Turner is still in business. When I first started biking I really wanted a Turner 5 spot and followed them closely since I was local to them. Never got a chance to own one sadly and now it looks like they havenít updated much since the RFX which looked like a killer bike a few years ago. I think the carbon market doomed them like a lot of in house manufactures. Curious to see if they continue to update and really hope they do.

was Turner an inhouse made bike?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah, but what is a boutique brand? Ibis came from nowhere and created a band. Same with Pivot. Heck, now Caynon, YT, Ghost, Fezarri, etc are all doing it. Seems easier than ever actually - but only if you want to do it and play the game. And I don't think DT wants to play THAT game.

Yeah, "boutique" is not precise to be sure. I like to think those brands you mention are somewhere in between say Specialized and Lynskey. They're these sort new-age corps that tend to have the benefits of medium to large corporate structures, but generally manage to preserve virtues of "boutique" brands.

But I do think you raise a great point. DT seems adamant about not playing the game - even if it were possible for Turner. I've seen his interview re e-mtb and he's basically laid it all out. He thinks conventional mtb'ing, as we know it, is a sinking ship. If you firmly believe that - and you're not willing to go emtb - then the writing is on the wall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    was Turner an inhouse made bike?
    Nope. Even in the very earliest days, he contracted to places like Ventanna.

mtbr member
    The Burner v3.1 was a sweet looking bike, I wonder if things may have played out differently if he'd stuck with aluminium and moved production off-shore to Taiwan. My last two bikes have been Taiwanese-made alloy Knollys and the quality is every bit as good (perhaps better even) than the two US-made alloy Turners I owned. With carbon manufacturing once you've settled on a design and made the molds you're kinda stuck with it until you've sold enough units to make it profitable, and that's a big gamble for a small manufacturer IMO. Obviously with the Cyclosis DT isn't totally opposed to or unfamiliar with overseas aluminium production, and I haven't read any stories of quality issues with that frame.

mtbr member
    Turner bikes are the best. Canít wait for the new lineup!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nope. Even in the very earliest days, he contracted to places like Ventanna.
    that's what i always thought was true
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    The Burner v3.1 was a sweet looking bike, I wonder if things may have played out differently if he'd stuck with aluminium and moved production off-shore to Taiwan. My last two bikes have been Taiwanese-made alloy Knollys and the quality is every bit as good (perhaps better even) than the two US-made alloy Turners I owned. With carbon manufacturing once you've settled on a design and made the molds you're kinda stuck with it until you've sold enough units to make it profitable, and that's a big gamble for a small manufacturer IMO. Obviously with the Cyclosis DT isn't totally opposed to or unfamiliar with overseas aluminium production, and I haven't read any stories of quality issues with that frame.
    I would just be happy if they kept aluminum and maybe even went to the HL to reduce costs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would just be happy if they kept aluminum and maybe even went to the HL to reduce costs.
    Would much rather have the SP like the TNT and hiline, because more laterally stiffer and less stink-bug effect on steeps. HL had a little bit of validity with the radically different AS profiles in the 3 different front rings, but I'll take a decent SP every day and sunday over HL with a pivot in between the main and the hub.

And yeah, having gone through my "carbon phase", I don't care *that* much about it anymore, especially on a more all-around bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    Would much rather have the SP like the TNT and hiline, because more laterally stiffer and less stink-bug effect on steeps. HL had a little bit of validity with the radically different AS profiles in the 3 different front rings, but I'll take a decent SP every day and sunday over HL with a pivot in between the main and the hub...
    Me too.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member

And yeah, having gone through my "carbon phase", I don't care *that* much about it anymore, especially on a more all-around bike.
    I don't think you are alone. The weight difference is not nearly as great as people think.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't think you are alone. The weight difference is not nearly as great as people think.
    It's there and it's real, but I think Ibis hit a home run with the Ripmo AF because in that particular class of bike, it matters a lot less. I'd never willingly tack on an extra pound on my XC racing rig or my carbon fatbike, but something like the Ripmo is less likely to be raced and in said Enduro race the slight weight difference is going to matter less due to the type of race it is. I think there is a significantly smaller % of people that buy 150mm travel bikes and competitively/seriously race, vs. those that buy 100mm xc rigs and race. And then yeah, if not trying to eek out tenths of a second, it matters little.

Not that this would "save" the brand at this point, there'd need to be more than just one bike and a good solid lineup/choices, but I think there was definitely a carbon "bubble" and it might not be quite as lopsided in the near future. That said, the possibilities of frame-shapes with carbon are so limitless and things like 3D printing for molds may still win out over time due to less cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think Ibis hit a home run with the Ripmo AF
    Consider that ~ 3 years ago that we all were led to believe that an alloy longish travel 29er (aka Sultan v2) from Dave was imminent. The specs being bounced around weren't quite as slack/long as the Ripmo AF and the short offset fork thing hadn't yet emerged, but it would have been a similar genre of bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Something is happening. The only available Turner at the moment is the Cyclosys All Road Ti Limited Edition. Eagerly anticipating the new look mountain line up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm kind of opposite of that, I got it years ago, when it came out, and there's nothing out there that interests me to make me want to "upgrade". Nothing would be that much of an upgrade to make it remotely worth it. I'm around 65 or slightly less HTA, 170mm front, 160 coil rear, custom tuned on both ends, can ride it all day, have a nice size dropper, great drivetrain, etc. It's been stout and it's showing no signs of letting up. Maybe given a clean slate I wouldn't go with it right now, but already having it, I just have no want to upgrade. Money isn't an issue, the marginal improvements that the industry ties to sell us as revolutionary are.
    Fair enough. It sounds like you have a little more custom set-up. I'm running the stock Pike up front at 160, the stock Monarch with 160 in back. It's not as plush as I had heard and expected. Maybe I need to fiddle more, but it seems like I've been doing a lot of fiddling to get this thing to feel right, and can't get it to my liking. Reading reviews and all that, people were talking about a bottomless feel with the suspension, and it's definitely not close to that. I find it rather harsh.

I had a chance to ride another bike in Moab last spring, and it was just far more confidence inspiring from the very first ride. I'm not finding that with the RFX. In fact, when I finished riding that bike, I kind of half-joked to everyone -- I'm selling the RFX and getting this. Kind of absurd, given I only had only ridden the RFX a few months to that point.

There's no right or wrong here, just a matter of preference. Anyway, I'm reaching the one-year mark with the RFX, and I've come to the point where I need to decide if I still need to give it more of a chance, or if I just need to sell it and buy something else. On the one hand, there's a lot to like about the bike. On the other, I rode a different bike and knew in a single day that I really dug it.

mtbr member
    Was the "other bike" similar in geometry to the RFX? Obviously a different fork/shock combo may help you get the RFX more how you want it to feel, but if you preferred the other bike because of the fit more than the suspension feel then no amount of tinkering is going to change that.

D01
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I had similar experience with the Monarch, fixed it with a X2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Was the "other bike" similar in geometry to the RFX? Obviously a different fork/shock combo may help you get the RFX more how you want it to feel, but if you preferred the other bike because of the fit more than the suspension feel then no amount of tinkering is going to change that.
    The other bike is 160mm-travel bike like the RFX, and has a 66-degree head tube angle. But that's more or less where the similarities end. The other bike is a 29er, so that could account for any number of differences, and it has a longer front end and shorter chain stays.

It's not a matter of fit, really. The RFX has a really short reach compared to most "modern" bikes, but sitting in the cockpit didn't feel too different. Overall, though, the other bike felt more solid and planted, and just plowed through everything Moab had to throw at it. And it felt more plush. In the end, they are just two different bikes.

That said, the RFX has a lot going for it. It's lightweight, it climbs well, the steering is precise, it handles most terrain pretty well, it's fun in the air. It really is a good bike. Sometimes I think if I could figure out the suspension (if there's even anything to figure out), it would be that missing link.

Beyond that, there's a matter of money. I can't afford to change bikes every year. And I'm not typically that guy -- I had my last bike for 9 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D01 View Post
    I had similar experience with the Monarch, fixed it with a X2.
    I was wondering if a different shock or a coil might make a difference. I also thought about switching out the Pike in favor of a Lyrik.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fair enough. It sounds like you have a little more custom set-up. I'm running the stock Pike up front at 160, the stock Monarch with 160 in back. It's not as plush as I had heard and expected. Maybe I need to fiddle more, but it seems like I've been doing a lot of fiddling to get this thing to feel right, and can't get it to my liking. Reading reviews and all that, people were talking about a bottomless feel with the suspension, and it's definitely not close to that. I find it rather harsh.

I had a chance to ride another bike in Moab last spring, and it was just far more confidence inspiring from the very first ride. I'm not finding that with the RFX. In fact, when I finished riding that bike, I kind of half-joked to everyone -- I'm selling the RFX and getting this. Kind of absurd, given I only had only ridden the RFX a few months to that point.

There's no right or wrong here, just a matter of preference. Anyway, I'm reaching the one-year mark with the RFX, and I've come to the point where I need to decide if I still need to give it more of a chance, or if I just need to sell it and buy something else. On the one hand, there's a lot to like about the bike. On the other, I rode a different bike and knew in a single day that I really dug it.
    The RFX is under-forked with a Pike IMO, just from a chassis standpoint. That makes it significantly steeper than what I'm running with a 170 lyrik and a works -1 headset, BUT I really feel I could have gone without the -1 headset, as in not necessary for what I was wanting.

The Monarch was not good stock. I had to run an obscene amount of sag (with spacers) to get decently plush initial travel, as in what I'd expect with 6" of travel, and that didn't leave much travel for anything else. Any other way, it was harsh. I got it tuned by Avalanche, which allowed me to run 30% sag and gave a much better feel, but that's my "smooth trail" shock, as a coil is hands down better, no question. The bike deserves a coil. The only issue with a coil is the bike isn't very progressive, so Avalanche uses a special shaped bumper on my shock to prevent bottoming, but it's radically better than an air shock. With this suspension, the bike feels like it punches at least a class bigger than it is, as in you are doing full on DH stuff and don't feel like you want a DH bike. That's the magic of the custom coil. Find an old (or new) chassis shock, one that can be modded by Avalanche. Fox RC4, Fox Van, Marzochi Bomber CR, etc. You can often find something like this new or used for fairly cheap and it doesn't matter because Avy will gut the internals and put in stuff that works better than any OEM shock.

I started with the Lyrik, but eventually got creaking after a couple seasons, so I bought a Yari for fairly inexpensive, gutted it and put the Avy cart in that I was running in the Lyrik.

I'll get the RC4 rebuilt this season, but apart from changing the lyrik chassis out, I haven't touched anything on this bike as far as setup, it's been steller and I built it just the way I wanted from the beginning. These days, I factor in custom suspension into any bike that I buy, it's simply worth it.

Enough of my high horse, but I do feel that any bike in the class of the RFX NEEDS to come with a coil shock stock, they are that much better...still, 20 years later. It's been a great bike and it's very confidence inspiring for me, but I think the suspension and setup I'm running has a lot to do with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is Rfx any good as a bikepacking rig?

mtbr member
    Good lord that's a lot of words.

11-6 is pretty sweet on the RFX. So is a 170 Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Perfect for bike packing. Much better than salsa.

D01
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I was wondering if a different shock or a coil might make a difference. I also thought about switching out the Pike in favor of a Lyrik.
    It sounds like you're in the same position I was 12 months ago.

I persevered with the Monarch for way too long, and hyperbole aside, the first ride after putting on the X2 had me blabbering hyperbole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    Perfect for bike packing. Much better than salsa.
    do you by chance know when Turner Ti 29+ rig comes out, around christmas innit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The RFX is under-forked with a Pike IMO, just from a chassis standpoint. That makes it significantly steeper than what I'm running with a 170 lyrik and a works -1 headset, BUT I really feel I could have gone without the -1 headset, as in not necessary for what I was wanting.

The Monarch was not good stock. I had to run an obscene amount of sag (with spacers) to get decently plush initial travel, as in what I'd expect with 6" of travel, and that didn't leave much travel for anything else. Any other way, it was harsh. I got it tuned by Avalanche, which allowed me to run 30% sag and gave a much better feel, but that's my "smooth trail" shock, as a coil is hands down better, no question. The bike deserves a coil. The only issue with a coil is the bike isn't very progressive, so Avalanche uses a special shaped bumper on my shock to prevent bottoming, but it's radically better than an air shock. With this suspension, the bike feels like it punches at least a class bigger than it is, as in you are doing full on DH stuff and don't feel like you want a DH bike. That's the magic of the custom coil. Find an old (or new) chassis shock, one that can be modded by Avalanche. Fox RC4, Fox Van, Marzochi Bomber CR, etc. You can often find something like this new or used for fairly cheap and it doesn't matter because Avy will gut the internals and put in stuff that works better than any OEM shock.

I started with the Lyrik, but eventually got creaking after a couple seasons, so I bought a Yari for fairly inexpensive, gutted it and put the Avy cart in that I was running in the Lyrik.

I'll get the RC4 rebuilt this season, but apart from changing the lyrik chassis out, I haven't touched anything on this bike as far as setup, it's been steller and I built it just the way I wanted from the beginning. These days, I factor in custom suspension into any bike that I buy, it's simply worth it.

Enough of my high horse, but I do feel that any bike in the class of the RFX NEEDS to come with a coil shock stock, they are that much better...still, 20 years later. It's been a great bike and it's very confidence inspiring for me, but I think the suspension and setup I'm running has a lot to do with it.
    Thanks for all that information. You seem to be a man who knows his suspension, so I appreciate it. I did consider another shock and a switch to a Lyrik. I really liked the Lyrik on my last bike, and that bike in Moab had a Yari. I think the Pike might be more of a problem than the Monarch, actually. I blew out a seal in the damper within the first couple months, and I thought that was the problem, but Rock Shox replaced it with a newer damper, and it's still kind of the same.

Regarding your creaking problem -- they used to sell the RFXs with a -1 headset. Mine did not come with one, so I asked about it. Bobby at Turner said they don't include those anymore because they had problems with creaking. He gave me the product number at Wheels, if I wanted it. I'm good at 66 degrees, so I never looked into it. But if you had problems with creaking, maybe it was the headset? But you seem to have a handle on this stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The FSA was the crappy -1 headset, I have a works components and it works great. My fork crown was definitely the source of my bad creak though. Fixed as soon as the new fork chassis went on.

D01
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Sometimes I think if I could figure out the suspension (if there's even anything to figure out), it would be that missing link.

I think the Pike might be more of a problem than the Monarch

Wait, what?? You think you've got a problem with the suspension and you can't work out if it's at the front or the back of the bike?

mtbr member
    Release of the ti 29+ hardtail is expected Around thanksgiving, just after the scandium brawler 36er tandem, ti king khan, carbon 29er rfx and carbon 29er dhr are released

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Release of the ti 29+ hardtail is expected Around thanksgiving, just after the scandium brawler 36er tandem, ti king khan, carbon 29er rfx and carbon 29er dhr are released
    Joking aside, I think Ti hardtail in addition to ART will be indeed the last bike released by David Roy, hopefully 29 2.6 not 27.5 as mentioned in one of the interviews as his dream bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The FSA was the crappy -1 headset, I have a works components and it works great. My fork crown was definitely the source of my bad creak though. Fixed as soon as the new fork chassis went on.
    Yes -- Works Components! That's what I meant. I was thinking Wheels Manufacturing, the derailleur hanger guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D01 View Post
    Wait, what?? You think you've got a problem with the suspension and you can't work out if it's at the front or the back of the bike?
    No -- I'm saying I'm dissatisfied with both, and at the moment, the front is giving me more grief than the rear. I've had to send it back to Rock Shox under warranty for a bum damper seal, for one. They put in a newer damper charger with the low and high speed compression. We shall see what happens.

And as I was saying at the start of this whole thing -- it could all well be the bike I don't like. This may just be how the thing rides, and it's not for me. Again, it's a good bike with a lot of good qualities, but it's missing something.

D01
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsukurac View Post
    Joking aside, I think Ti hardtail in addition to ART will be indeed the last bike released by David Roy, hopefully 29 2.6 not 27.5 as mentioned in one of the interviews as his dream bike
    The question was what bike if you had to ride it the rest of your life, not dream bike, so I interpreted the answer more from a maintenance perspective.

D01
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Again, it's a good bike with a lot of good qualities, but it's missing something.
    I agree, and for me it was missing a X2.

%$#$*!
    Again, it's a good bike with a lot of good qualities, but it's missing something.
    Replace that monarch. Itís garbage on the RFX in my experience. Get an X2.

I have a 160mm Lyrik non-boost Iím selling for cheap if you want it. Great fork. Matches the RFX much better than the pike in my opinion.

I was about to write off the RFX until I ditched the monarch and got a -1 works headset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Here's my wife and her Flux grinding it out to 9600' last Friday. We hit the weather window perfectly as this peak picked up about 6" of snow a day later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What happened to this forum?-osberg-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Replace that monarch. Itís garbage on the RFX in my experience. Get an X2.

I have a 160mm Lyrik non-boost Iím selling for cheap if you want it. Great fork. Matches the RFX much better than the pike in my opinion.

I was about to write off the RFX until I ditched the monarch and got a -1 works headset.
    Thanks guys. All great insight. Thanks for the offer on the Lyrik, but I have a boost wheel.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Get your backup spare parts now before those disappear as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd View Post
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Here's my wife and her Flux grinding it out to 9600' last Friday. We hit the weather window perfectly as this peak picked up about 6" of snow a day later.
    Nice! I still ride my 5-spot and love it. Turner made great solid bikes that people keep for years.

rpt
    mtbr member
    Nice! I still ride my 5-spot and love it. Turner made great solid bikes that people keep for years.
    Yep - rode my freshly serviced Flux today and enjoyed the ride immensely. Was with a mix of hardtail and fs 29ers - np keeping up. Lots of give and take on the trail - just like old times.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Maybe that is the problem......"great solid bike people keep for years and years and years...."
    I know I am one of those.........
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Maybe that is the problem......"great solid bike people keep for years and years and years...."
    I know I am one of those.........
    Honestly, making something too good can be a problem!

mtbr member
    Turner bikes are the best, Thanks to lord wizards DT and DW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    PDLHRD, thanks for the inspirational pic of your wife climbing, and climbing and from the looks of the valley, climbing some more. I love me a big alpine climb, from here I don't get a chance much, the photo will have to tide me over.

DT

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Up

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    PDLHRD, thanks for the inspirational pic of your wife climbing, and climbing and from the looks of the valley, climbing some more. I love me a big alpine climb, from here I don't get a chance much, the photo will have to tide me over.

DT

It's nice to hear from you DT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does nyone know if Turner bikepacking Ti HT will be press fit or threaded BB. I wants to start purchasing bling parts for it!

mtbr member
    Threaded just like the upcoming new carbon lt sultan, 29 dhr, Kharbon Khan and scandium brawler.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    T47. It's going to be the overnight sensation of yet another threaded standard that actually started a few years ago. At this time, all the new models will be T47. it's easier to pass control lines thru BB than an English shell. I really liked the PFBB on the 3 carbon bikes, but wont again due to the hate for PF.

In working with some highly addicted and opinionated 'packers there are some very strong opinions out there about handlebar types. Of course the flat bar rider needs an aero set up and bar ends which nets a bunch more mounting points and hand positions. This seems to be the best choice for those that want the advantage of mtb bar when trail gets rough on a loaded bike.

DT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    well flatbars with esi chunky will be ok, however one can always put something like Surly moloko with adjacent bag!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the flat bar rider needs an aero set up and bar ends which nets a bunch more mounting points and hand positions. This seems to be the best choice for those that want the advantage of mtb bar when trail gets rough on a loaded bike.

DT
    Concur. AZTR was loaded with riders running bar ends, minus aeros but same idea. Keep working with those bikepackers.

mtbr member
    Will t47 be on all the new turner models soon to be released?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Will t47 be on all the new turner models soon to be released?
    did you miss post #54?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    The Up and coming new lineup will help jumpstart the forum. turner homers will rest knowing that there will be frequent contributions about the dope new lineup and what a fantastic job the lord wizards Dt and dw have done with the new antigravity ultra meta carbon, 29 rfx, 29 sultan, 29 dhr and 27.5 king Kahn!! Itís going to be amazing!!!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Another knee-slapper by ol' Freebiker!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgTXFx4Ins

And who can blame him...unfortunately it sounds like "playing that game" means spending half your life away from your family on the other side of the world babysitting people in sub-par quality manufacturing plants in order to get a decent end product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cant wait to see the new USA made (in house?!?!) carbon line up with The T47 BB. Nothing like a Turner with Old Glory flying under the seat clamp

mtbr member
    Any day now right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgTXFx4Ins

And who can blame him...unfortunately it sounds like "playing that game" means spending half your life away from your family on the other side of the world babysitting people in sub-par quality manufacturing plants in order to get a decent end product.
    As someone who has a bio-tech company in Shanghai and is going there every month to fix/deal with something, I feel for anybody that is 100% dependent upon production in China.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    TSB, Inc. unfortunately does not have funds for new plastic bike models, it is about time you all stop trolling. It is all Ti gravel and bikepacking now. The right thing is to focus on largest and fastest growing segment next to ebikes

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm not currently in the market for a bike. But once I do, I really want to replace my XC HT with a Turner XC bike. Hoping that will still be an option in the near'ish future. I've raced/heckled/heckled by DT many times. Really want to race one of his frames.

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    I would be all over a longer/slacker Titanium Burner

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    I see no need for Ti on a full sus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    that's just silliness
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    as technology improves, costs of production decrease. I would not be surprised if you are correct in regards to the capital required for previous production methods. However, the revolution has just begun. Cant wait for the new line up!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Buy why would you want a cracky Ti frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I do wonder though about any delamination concerns regarding the aluminum sleeve (presumed) for that T47? Really excited to learn about the manufacturing process/setup for the new line up!

Or does the new process inherently prevent delamination?
    Last edited by snooka; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:56 AM. Reason: extra thought

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    yeah, you are right. I think Bamboo with wooden lugs. Muchbetter way to go.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Apparently Ti or Bamboo are the only options. Who knew?

mtbr member
    The new 29dhr, carbon sultan and carbon bamboo king khan bikes look awesome!

high pivot witchcraft
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/now-th...urner-dhr.html

Timeless design. Like a 911.

Cockpit aside perhaps, this bike is still a smoke show.

I wish so much I would have got into this brand back in their heyday. Dammit.

PS - my ďjoin dateĒ is MUCH earlier than 2015. I lost my old account and had to start over. I remember back in the day when DT switched suspension designs. It may have been more than once actually. It was almost WWIII on here among the Homers fighting about whether it was as good as the former design. But the weird thing was that it seemed that regardless of what suspension design DT chose, his bikes still ruled.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/now-th...urner-dhr.html

Timeless design. Like a 911.

Cockpit aside perhaps, this bike is still a smoke show.

I wish so much I would have got into this brand back in their heyday. Dammit.

PS - my ďjoin dateĒ is MUCH earlier than 2015. I lost my old account and had to start over. I remember back in the day when DT switched suspension designs. It may have been more than once actually. It was almost WWIII on here among the Homers fighting about whether it was as good as the former design. But the weird thing was that it seemed that regardless of what suspension design DT chose, his bikes still ruled.
    It was amazing how much better a 6-pack was than the similar looking azonic saber. It wasnít even close.

high pivot witchcraft
    It was amazing how much better a 6-pack was than the similar looking azonic saber. It wasnít even close.
    Yeah. You are very fortunate to have enjoyed Turner bikes. I was there in the heart of the heyday but for whatever reason, while Turners were huge everywhere else, they just werenít big in my area. But I sure do remember the days when this forum was THE most vibrant. Itís sad for me to see what appears to be a downward death spiral for the brand. Especially a domestic brand. I still try to buy Canadian or US for everything I can. And yeah, I know. My bikes are all Taiwan made. But at least they are designed in Canada. And I do have a made in the USA C-Dale cyclocross that I commute on when I get too exhausted for my fixed gear.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Donít worry the new turner lineup is coming!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...just making sure there will be enough units available for each model at release

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Donít worry the new turner lineup is coming!
    Is this a fact or just hope and speculation?

mtbr member
    Fact

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'll be on the lookout with CC in hand.

mtbr member
    Me 2!!!! Canít wait!!!

mtbr member

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    I have heard that some bike companies make bikes out of aluminum. Is this a viable material? I'm confused???

mtbr member
    Stateside Alu fabricators have mostly folded no? SAPA, Zen, etc.,
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You know what happens when discounted Turner frames become available at an independent retailer?!?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snooka View Post
    You know what happens when discounted Turner frames become available at an independent retailer?!?!
    no, what?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    you mean this one https://www.universalmountainbike.co...n-Bikes-Turner ?

link or stop trolling

mtbr member
    https://www.cambriabike.com/pages/se...-page?q=Turner

Not as many retailers for Turner these days though.

Just noticed Gregg is no longer listed on the team :-(

https://www.turnerbikes.com/about-us/
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    So this thread lit a fire under Daves arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So this thread lit a fire under Daves arse.
    That's not the implication. Fire sale?

I mean really, a boutique frame on Cambriabikes. Not a good sign.

... I guess you won't be
    I've been on a Turner since my original 1998 Burner....Turner bikes were always ahead of the curve, and I enjoyed ever ride on mine. I recently sold off my last Turner, a 2006 front triangle 5-spot w/ a 2008 TNT rear end (both assemblies were factory warranty replacements due to early model crack prone areas half of you already know about) - my Spot was relegated to being a dedicated dual slalom racer until I too replaced it with a Specialized SX dual slalom racer....

I sold it mostly because bikes with the new geometry have far surpassed the handling capabilities I loved about my Turners. I'm riding a 2019 GT Sensor, and it's far superior to my 5-spot, in every conceivable comparison. Haven't looked at Turner's page in a few years, so I looked - their geometry numbers are firmly embedded in the past. From what I've read here, it looks like that's pretty much it evolution-wise for Turner. It saddens me a little bit that my once favorite brand appears to be withering on the vine. Are the current turner bikes bad - of course not - but there are many many superior options for much less cash. My melancholy is strong as I type this.....It was a good run...Turner - thanks for being awesome!

TURNER_24_HR_RACE.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What happened to this forum?-scat-brighton.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    While I would be honored to have had any influence upon DT's decisions, it would be a naive presumption that I, or this forum thread, would have any influence on the direction of business matters. However, observations of the past may prove useful when attempting to predict the future. Remember TNT to DW and go-ride? That was a large change. So at the end of the day, I am hopeful that this reiteration of a boutique frame on sale at an independent retailer might be the first sign of a new Turner revolution.

Can't wait for the new lineup!!!

mtbr member
    While I would be honored to have had any influence upon DT's decisions, it would be a naive presumption that I, or this forum thread, would have any influence on the direction of business matters. However, observations of the past may prove useful when attempting to predict the future. Remember TNT to DW and go-ride? That was a large change. So at the end of the day, I am hopeful that this reiteration of a boutique frame on sale at an independent retailer might be the first sign of a new Turner revolution.

Can't wait for the new lineup!!!
    Glass half full not half empty. Bring on the revolution!

Rode my RFX yesterday. Still a relevant bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    RFX kicking it in the PacNW one week ago.

https://youtu.be/tGh9ZGxUj2g

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Optimistic until proven otherwise! You ever run into/ride with a guy named Nolan?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123