What Bike to Replace Sultan?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

What Bike to Replace Sultan?

I've been riding a 2011 Sultan and love the way it climbs.

I've got the new bike itch and the newer geometry looks interesting.

Considering Ibis Ripley V4 or Ripmo. Evil Offering might work, although I'm not sure it climbs well enough

Front range Colorado riding for 50+year old (not doing huge drops and like to not endo).

DW link or similar that climbs well, doesn't weigh a ton and kills downhill.

A new school Sultan or Czar could work, but I'm not holding my breath

mtbr member
    By "climbs well" do you mean "pedals efficiently"? Both bikes you mentioned could fit the bill, but also don't rule out something shorter travel with modern geo like the new Ripley or Tallboy either. I think you'd find the descending capability of either of those (especially if you bump up the fork to 140mm) would easily surpass your Sultan and would be more efficient climbing (and lighter) than the two bikes you mentioned.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ripley sounds right up your alley. With 29er wheels and a 130-140 fork, you'll have no problem coming downhill/avoiding wheel-catchers and the 120mm will keep it nice and controlled in the rear without going soggy like more travel will. The Ripmo gets you into a bigger class of bike IMO that will be a minimal DH gain for significant penalty most everywhere else.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 5-spot and was waiting for a Sultan replacement. Could not wait and ended up getting a Ripley. I run it with a 140mm Pike up front and it works very well. Highly recommended and a great bike to complement a Turner.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Ripley
    Tallboy
    Alchemy Arktos ST
    Rival Rascal
    Yeti SB130
    Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol

The bottom 4 are Colorado companies so hopefully demoing is not to much of a challenge. I have the Alchemy and itís perfect.

mtbr member
    Ive had a Sultan in the past, and currently have a Czar. I purchased a Foes Ridgeback last year and very happy with it, 140 rear and 160 front, 150 is recommended. It feels like a big brother to the Car.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's unfortunate that the Turner brand will not be a consideration. Check out MTB yum yum on Youtube. Ripley vs TallBoy. Ripley climbs better but TallBoy climbs really well but descends with a bit more confidence. Has reviews of the Offering and plenty of short to mid travel 29er's. Probably the one category with the most focus right now.

mtbr member
    Forbidden Druid.

Yeti-esque pedalling efficiency and Knolly-esque climbing traction
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    The new turner lineup should be available soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Iím due to replace my 2012 sultan soon and am the same age/rider type as you (altho I donít live in the mountains). The new Top Fuel looks perfect for where I live.o
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    thanks for the responses, all.

I rode a Trail Pistola and a full sized Arktos this weekend. And some parking lot rides on a Ripley and Ripmo

I didn't realize how XCish my Sultan was until riding the Pistola and the Arktos. Part of it is the 35mm rim width that all of these rides are using.

I'm really impressed with how well all of the new bikes climb. I was also surprised that some of them were far from plush.

There was such a huge difference in going from an old Stumpjumper to a 5 Spot and then again going from the 26er Spot to a 29er Sultan. I didn't sense that leap from the Sultan to the new school bikes unless you were looking for the big sled point and plow.

I'm wondering about changing up the Sultan and keeping it. Maybe do a new 140mm fork, angleset headset, 1x drive train and new wheelset.

mtbr member
    My current Sultan replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Bike to Replace Sultan?-side-build_web.jpg  

mtbr member
    The new sultan is going to be so dope! Canít wait.

beer is good
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    My current Sultan replacement.
    Banshee?
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A friend hits his pedals alot with the newest Ripley. The guy has been riding mountain bikes since the early 80's so he has a clue. Turner just got a new shipment of Czars in. I had a Sultan V1 and V2, put alot of miles on them. The Czar does not feel like a tank the way the Sultan did. IMO the slack stuff now is great for flowing but on old school trails the Czar works better and can be built light. Mine is 23.2 with a 2x10.

mtbr member
    Si. Titan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Spot Mayhem, Iíve owned mine for 2 years now and I believe itís is the most efficient pedaling 130mm 29r currently made. Itís super quiet, solid, stiff, and supportive. The bike does not offer mine blowing small bump sensitivity, but is great for medium to bigger hits.

The Spot HQ support in Paul and Mitchell is very approachable and patient.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch View Post
    I've been riding a 2011 Sultan and love the way it climbs.

I've got the new bike itch and the newer geometry looks interesting.

Considering Ibis Ripley V4 or Ripmo. Evil Offering might work, although I'm not sure it climbs well enough

Front range Colorado riding for 50+year old (not doing huge drops and like to not endo).

DW link or similar that climbs well, doesn't weigh a ton and kills downhill.

A new school Sultan or Czar could work, but I'm not holding my breath

... I guess you won't be
    I was in the same boat Turnerwise.....I ended up getting an aluminum framed 2019 GT Sensor 29 Comp (one model up from the base 'sport' model). I didn't want a bigger travel bike either. It does everything my old 5-spot did, but better in every single way - the handling is incredible, and at 130mm all around, it's got enough to handle some weirdness. The frame design is quite clever too. Not interested in carbon at all. I'd not considered GT until I actually rode one, afterwards, I was smitten......I've been mtb'g since the late 80's, and this GT is by far the best bike I've thrown a leg over, regardless of price (well, the inexpensive part is quite alluring too) - I have so much $ leftover for other hobbies!What Bike to Replace Sultan?-bad-ass-gt.jpg