What is better than a horst link 6 pack?- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

What is better than a horst link 6 pack?

A horst link RFX.

Ressurection:

I'm digging deep inside my soul
    To bring myself out of this God-damned hole
    I rid the demons from my heart
    And found the truth was with me from the start

Holy angel lift me from this burning hell
    Resurrection make me whole
    Son of Judas bring the saints to my revenge
    Resurrection bring me home

I walked alone into a Fight
    There is no bastard left to overcome
    The peace of mind I thought was lost
    Was right in front of me on paths I've crossed

Holy angel lift me from this burning hell
    Resurrection make me whole
    Son of Judas bring the saints to my revenge
    Resurrection bring me home

I've faced the things I've said and done
    There is no bastard left to overcome
    The peace of mind I thought was lost
    Was right in front of me on paths I've crossed

(Turner customer service/warrenty rocks!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Wicketed
    ooh, nice rockers vs rear triangle...spill the beans on the configuration jayem!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Team Sanchez
    That's gotta be a 5.5 RFX right? I'll tell you what's better.....a Highline. Pedals better, and descends better. That blue is sexy. Congrats!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

banned
    I KNOW WHO YOU'RE QUOTING LYRICS FROM...

Good selection!

I want to hear how different the ride is.

trail fairy
    Where's the chubbie
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Whilst I care not to comment on your poetry, I will submit that you are a master poet of bike builds.
    Signed,

Bill Shakespeare

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's a 6 pack rear (new bushings/axles) with an RFX front. I don't know how much travel it's got, but should be close to the 6.4.

I'll have to get the avalanche resized.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Very nice! Just when I thought I was finished upgrading my 5.5 pack...

banned
    That bike looks dumb with all those straight tubes and no humps or curves anywhere.

You also need an ICT decal. I'm sure you can ask for one on another forum.

Lay off the Levers
    Remind me again, what's that third chainring for?

Looks Sweet Jm... it'll look even better with a chubbie.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Remind me again, what's that third chainring for?
    It's a device that allows me to claw over logs.

Outcast
    What; no eggbeaters? Don't xc [air-shock equiped} RFX's come with weenie builds?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    What; no eggbeaters? Don't xc [air-shock equiped} RFX's come with weenie builds?
    No, this isn't the RP23/Talas36/eggbeater build, the RP23 will go away when the avalanche gets resized, and the bike has a loaner-rear wheel right now as well, due to my LBS being real slow about getting me a new DT-swiss hub mech.

On the other hand, I haven't tried the RP23 yet, except for tooling around and adjusting the shifting.

Outcast
    No problem Jayem, when you get your avy back, you can probably sell that rp23 to cactuscorn. I hear he's looking for a back-up DH shock for his DH-RFX.

Homer's problem child
    No ones said it yet and just to stil the pot I will.

Question: "What's better than a HL 6-pack?"

Answer: A DW link RFX?

On a serious note though, I have a Turner Sultan, a Ventana Terremoto and a Canfield Lucky. So between the Turner and the Ventana I'm familiar with that style and ride of a rocker driven shock single pivot. My Canfield gives me a data point on a short link 4-bar, although in big travel form and not DW and I had an Intense 5.5 for several years so I'm pretty familiar with VPP. I recently rode my friends new Iron Horse 6-point. And while the fit and finish was a bit lacking I was truely impressed with the ride, even with the often hated DHX-Air. All I have to say is it got me thinking. I still prefer the quality and stiffness of my Turner and Ventana, but the 6-point was a pretty damn nice riding bike. Will it hold up? Will IH support their customers as well as V and T? Probably not, but it did ride well.

Jayem, is that a 66 Light? If so is your rebound pretty slow even at full fast? I have the same fork and the rebound just feels slow.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    No ones said it yet and just to stil the pot I will.
    Question: "What's better than a HL 6-pack?"
    Answer: A DW link RFX?

I recently rode my friends new Iron Horse 6-point. And while the fit and finish was a bit lacking I was truely impressed with the ride, even with the often hated DHX-Air.
    B
    LOL! But you bring up a good point.

The 6Point definitely rides very well and IMHO is better than my Pack on rough DH. And it is the only bike that I actually prefer the DHXa over a coil shock. Not a surprise as the linkage was supposedly designed around the DHXa.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    No problem Jayem, when you get your avy back, you can probably sell that rp23 to cactuscorn. I hear he's looking for a back-up DH shock for his DH-RFX.
    I was waiting for it to come up in the classifieds

Since he got a Highline...

CCs doin it and said coil wa in his Dh future! the Idaho boy is setting the bar go the DH RFX

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Maui Grown

Question

Is the 6 Pack Horst link that much better than the RFX TNT link?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Is the 6 Pack Horst link that much better than the RFX TNT link?
    Well its irrelevant unless ya buy a second hand rear end!

RFX's have been TNT since 06, but Tscheezy will be able to give you the best answer he has both!

Ive ridden both HL Spot and my TNT spot, both are excellent, very hard to pick differences, there are some minor ones! Stiffness in TNT is better and under acceleration, in some grip situations deep sand I found the HL spot find better traction, though tires may have had something to do with it, otherwise little in it!

I wouldn't lose sleep over it..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 08-01-2008 at 04:30 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bite Me.
    "What's better than a HL 6-pack?" A hummer from Niki Gudex?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Rides like wrecking ball
    What's the geo on that mix-n-matcher? Cool color too btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Elitest thrill junkie
    No idea, I'm going riding. I finally got my DT hub running again so I put the black rear wheel back on, which looks much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    ...I put the black rear wheel back on, which looks much better.
    Agreed. Much more aggressive of a setup, imho

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    What's the geo on that mix-n-matcher? Cool color too btw.
    Screwed up. I measured the BB at 15" before I went out riding.

The avalanche mod will lower the BB some, because avalanche will make the shock go to 7.75 eye to eye instead of 7.875, but I'm going to look into this and see where the tire hits, could possibly do a 7.5 eye to eye with 2.25" of stroke, we'll see. I already had this idea before, but I'll probably go to a 160mm fork eventually, like a lyric or 55 RC3 ETA.

I already knew I needed a shorter stem, the bike just doesn't pop up naturally and easily for drops, so I'll have to measure the HT angle and put a shorter stem on there. That will dictate what I'll do with the rear shock and front fork as well.

The RP23 is like a jackhammer compared to the avalanche. Not so bad if you're not encountering many rocks, but when you get into rock fields it's apparent how poor the damping is comparatively. It's kind of hard to explain specifically because the avalanche does everything better, high speed, low speed, rebound, etc.

~~~~~~~~
    quit wasting time and put that 66 on the Highline and go ride that thing.

Your new RFX needs spot seat stays maybe?
    I think you should get 160 fork, a 08 rear end, run the RP23, and experience the bike as it was intended. Reduce your Highline overlap, but still be able to put the 66 and coil on the RFX when you want.

I'd be tempted to get the Avy at 7.75, but that's for our dirt...

btw, enduro seals on your 66?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    quit wasting time and put that 66 on the Highline and go ride that thing.
    Yep, gotta agree.

My 7.75" avy dropped the rfx's BB around 5/16", compared to the 7.875" shocks it replaced. So I think if you want a low BB, you'll have to change something else besides the shock.

Plus, the highline is great with a 66! that'll get you a low BB.
    Last edited by FM; 08-02-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Yep, gotta agree.

My 7.75" avy dropped the rfx's BB around 5/16", compared to the 7.875" shocks it replaced. So I think if you want a low BB, you'll have to change something else besides the shock.

Plus, the highline is great with a 66! that'll get you a low BB.
    No, that's a 170mm 66, and I don't want a super low BB on the highline due to the steep headtube angle it will give me. It's a longer bike, it can have a little higher bb. Eventually I might drop it, but no time soon.

5/16 is a good start. Then if I go to a shorter A to C 160mm fork I can drop a little more. Avy also says that they make a 7.5x2.25, so I'd have to check out and see if the tire/anything else contacts during compression, but otherwise there are options.

To the earlier comment about "making it like it's supposed to be with the RP23", hell no, the RP23 is poop compared to the avy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Avy also says that they make a 7.5x2.25, so I'd have to check out and see if the tire/anything else contacts during compression...
    There's absolutely no way that shock spec will work.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I measured the BB at 15" before I went out riding.

Think of it as your own Turner ID.

FM
    mtbr member
    No, that's a 170mm 66, and I don't want a super low BB on the highline due to the steep headtube angle it will give me. It's a longer bike, it can have a little higher bb. Eventually I might drop it, but no time soon.
    My 66 was a 170 as well, the bike handled great on all the black- and double-black diamond trails it seen here, at whistler and on the northshore. Long as you aren't running a integrated headset or an 8.75" shock the geometry will be dialed- although not super slack.

trail fairy
    Why not just get a 08 back end be done with it run a FM i2i specc avy setup 160mm fork and be done with it is keeping the HL really worth the pain when ya building a Highline, seems weird, not wrong as u like high BBs but still seesm to be throwing the balance of the whole bike out!

Ya could probably easily sell it to someone who has a Pack or i2i & stroke 7.5 x 2.0 stroke RFX as a spare and ya wouldn't be too much outta pocket and have a nicer two Turner stable! jmo for what its worth!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Why not just get a 08 back end be done with it run a FM i2i specc avy setup 160mm fork and be done with it is keeping the HL really worth the pain when ya building a Highline, seems weird, not wrong as u like high BBs but still seesm to be throwing the balance of the whole bike out!

Ya could probably easily sell it to someone who has a Pack or i2i & stroke 7.5 x 2.0 stroke RFX as a spare and ya wouldn't be too much outta pocket and have a nicer two Turner stable! jmo for what its worth!
    The other problem with that is that the 66 Light+Eta is the best fork ever, not sure I want to part with that, and not sure anything can match it.

trail fairy
    The other problem with that is that the 66 Light+Eta is the best fork ever, not sure I want to part with that, and not sure anything can match it.
    Yeah I hear ya..!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Rides like wrecking ball
    Screwed up. I measured the BB at 15" before I went out riding.
    OUCH. I was pushing 14.75-15" with the original 150mm 66RC and I could only describe the ride as "not right". I'm much more satisfied with 14-14.25" BB and 160mm travel ft/rr now. I'm back IN the bike rather than ON the bike.

Good luck with your FrankenTurner - I think this combo has got to be another first!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, I was thinking that I now had an "Id".

I think the most reasonable solution is to do the avy shock mod, and a 160mm fork. That will probably drop the BB at least half an inch, if not slightly more. The fork is a more problamatic decision than anything else. Do I go simple with good performance, like a 55RC3 (which isn't even avail yet) or Vanilla 36?, if I do, I lose out on adjusting axle-to-crown/travel for climbs, but I sure as hell am not going to get a TalASS or ATA model, way too many headaches and problems with servicing/reliability, not to mention the crap-performance from the TST damper if I go with the marz version. Then there's the lyric U-turn, and that's a definite maybe, but I don't want to shell out $1000 for a brand new fork right now either.

~~~~~~~~
    To the earlier comment about "making it like it's supposed to be with the RP23"
    if combined with the new rear end.
    turn that bike into the xc machine it's supposed to be

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    if combined with the new rear end.
    turn that bike into the xc machine it's supposed to be
    Yeah, I don't think you understand. I have a highline for XC now.

Members who have read this thread: 0