Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363

    weight information

    I'm building a new bike and wonder if the weights I have are correct. Some are from sicklines, some from manufacturers, some from internet and some I simply don't know.
    If somebody knows right #s please correct them, thanks.
    BTW if possible in kg or grams.

    - 08 888 rc3 wc - 3,4kg (uncut steer with axle)
    - FSA Orbit Xtreme deep cup - 115g
    - Thomson Elite X4 50mm 1-1/8 - 178g
    - Sunline VOne 19mm 27" - 260g
    - Formula Oro Bianco 200mm front and rear - 846g
    - ODI lock on Rogue - 132g
    - 07 X9 trigger - 122g
    - SDG SL Ibeam - 192g
    - SDG alu 330mm - 242g
    - Hone 170mm with BB - ?
    - e13 36t - 44g
    - e13 LG1(no taco) - 230g
    - Syncros Mental Mag - 427g
    - XT 11-34 - 295g
    - DuraAce chain - ?
    - 07 X9 mid cage - 223g
    - Michelin 2.5 16 - 1,4kg
    - Michelin 2.5 24 - 1,4kg
    - Hope Pro II 20mm/ DT spokes and nipples/ Mavic EX823
    - Hope Pro II 150x12mm/ DT spokes and nipples/ Mavic EX823

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    48
    You should go visit the folks at http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Yeah, I've checked them before but many parts are not listed like rims(ex823), crank arms(hone) and others.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Another person building a freeride bike who is weighing their components May I ask why you are in search of these numbers?

    Buzz

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Yes, sure you may. And I explain why. Bc the frame I've ordered was supposed to be 1lb lighter than advertised. So I'm trying to figure out how much bike will weight, that's it.
    BTW bike is DH, not FR.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Oh no not this again Wouldnt it just be easier to build it with parts you like/need for the application and then weigh it at the end (if you must)? It seems many ppl are concerned with 'incorrectly' advertised weights of components etc... What is to say all those other numbers you got are right or wrong? Seems like a futile process to me. Build it, ride it, and grin. And if you MUST know how much it weighs....weigh it when you are done building it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,322

    The only way I know what a bike weighs

    is to hang it from a digital scale when it's in your possession. I've done this so many times that if I know the frame weight I can guestimate what the final build is gonna weigh because I usually use the same build package, but it still varies plus or minus. Anyone who adds up the sum of all the parts is invariably wrong, if for no other reason than the parts themselves vary in weight, same same. Tubes, tires, cut or uncut steerer tube...variables all.

    I have an '07 Superlight that the frame weighs 5.25 lbs, a Burner that the frame weighs 6.15 lbs, and when they had the identical build package on them you'd think the Burner would weigh .9 lbs more...wrong! 26.5 lbs and 27.00 lbs. Parts weight is not parts weight.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Well, normally would be, but like I said, I was told a weight that it's not for real, it's 1lb heavier than they told me. So when I ordered and planned this bike it was intended to be around 42lb or less. To you can be futile, to me it's not.
    If I had a scale I sure would do it, why not? If I'm asking it's bc I don't have one. And IMO forums are to be discussed right? If you don't want to help, or don't know these numbers, at least let others help, would you?
    To Buzz btw

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,322

    Dood...

    Quote Originally Posted by IntenTurner
    Well, normally would be, but like I said, I was told a weight that it's not for real, it's 1lb heavier than they told me. So when I ordered and planned this bike it was intended to be around 42lb or less. To you can be futile, to me it's not.
    If I had a scale I sure would do it, why not? If I'm asking it's bc I don't have one. And IMO forums are to be discussed right? If you don't want to help, or don't know these numbers, at least let others help, would you?
    To Buzz btw
    One pound more or less on an approximate 42 lb bike is insignificant. You haven't been jobbed, you've just been introduced to the real world of built bike weights.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    is to hang it from a digital scale when it's in your possession. I've done this so many times that if I know the frame weight I can guestimate what the final build is gonna weigh because I usually use the same build package, but it still varies plus or minus. Anyone who adds up the sum of all the parts is invariably wrong, if for no other reason than the parts themselves vary in weight, same same. Tubes, tires, cut or uncut steerer tube...variables all.

    I have an '07 Superlight that the frame weighs 5.25 lbs, a Burner that the frame weighs 6.15 lbs, and when they had the identical build package on them you'd think the Burner would weigh .9 lbs more...wrong! 26.5 lbs and 27.00 lbs. Parts weight is not parts weight.
    Ok, I agree. So let me correct the OP, an average # ok? Not exactly, not for ounces.
    Just a reference if the #s are about that or not.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    And I am discussing the futility of doing the sum of the parts equaling the whole! As is XCguy. You are concerned with a pound or two on a 42lb bike??? If you can honestly tell me that you will not be happy with the SAME bike at 43lbs when you thought it should be 42lbs, then I stand corrected...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    One pound more or less on an approximate 42 lb bike is insignificant. You haven't been jobbed, you've just been introduced to the real world of built bike weights.
    One pound is one pound regardless if bike weights 42, 40, 30 IMO. If you can live with one pound more fine.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    And I am discussing the futility of doing the sum of the parts equaling the whole! As is XCguy. You are concerned with a pound or two on a 42lb bike??? If you can honestly tell me that you will not be happy with the SAME bike at 43lbs when you thought it should be 42lbs, then I stand corrected...
    For you and xcguy, I'm gonna be straight and clear: YES, I'm concerned with a pound on a 42lb bike. Did I make myself clear now?
    The thread is not about 1lb, I just asked if someone knows these weights BECAUSE I got a frame that was supposed to be lighter 1lb.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Well then I do stand corrected! Tell you what, you can save that pound you were 'cheated' out of by putting on some rims and tires that are a pound lighter! Then when you hit the 'magical' weight, and you taco your front rim on your first run down you can go to the hospital thinking "At least I kept her below 42lbs!"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,551
    If you are building a new DHR, you will be around 40lbs or less with that build, of course you could save more weight by going with the Boxxer WC. The wheel build is good, but go for double butted spokes to save additional weight, mostly rotational. I did this, & at 200lbs the wheels have held up nicely. Oh yeah, run XO, much crisper shifting!

    You are asking for a lot of effort by peeps to find the EXACT weight on each & every part, when the payback is really how the bike rides. Take this for instance, this past year I did a race up here & was rapping with some guy on a Socom, which weighed 37lbs, 4 lbs lighter than my Sunday Factory. When we switched bikes for a run down the track, he wanted to trade .

    Build it, ride it, THEN weigh it, in that order.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,322

    You actually weighed the frame before building it up?

    I do that, but I didn't think anyone else in the world did that. Where is it on this thread did you state you have a problem with the stated frame weight and the ACTUAL frame weight? (as weighed by you on an accurate digital scale). You come here all p!ssed off because your theoretical bike build is going to weigh more than you thought and it's all because the frame weighed more. Your thread should have been titled "why is it stated frame weights vary from actual frame weights"...or something.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I do that, but I didn't think anyone else in the world did that. Where is it on this thread did you state you have a problem with the stated frame weight and the ACTUAL frame weight? (as weighed by you on an accurate digital scale). You come here all p!ssed off because your theoretical bike build is going to weigh more than you thought and it's all because the frame weighed more. Your thread should have been titled "why is it stated frame weights vary from actual frame weights"...or something.
    Are you threatening me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Nevermind...
    I give up, say whatever you say, I don't care anymore ok? This thread is useless if we're going talking your POV, more bla bla bla.
    For everyone else who may want help I appreciate.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I do that, but I didn't think anyone else in the world did that. Where is it on this thread did you state you have a problem with the stated frame weight and the ACTUAL frame weight? (as weighed by you on an accurate digital scale). You come here all p!ssed off because your theoretical bike build is going to weigh more than you thought and it's all because the frame weighed more. Your thread should have been titled "why is it stated frame weights vary from actual frame weights"...or something.
    Post #5

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I do that, but I didn't think anyone else in the world did that. Where is it on this thread did you state you have a problem with the stated frame weight and the ACTUAL frame weight? (as weighed by you on an accurate digital scale). You come here all p!ssed off because your theoretical bike build is going to weigh more than you thought and it's all because the frame weighed more. Your thread should have been titled "why is it stated frame weights vary from actual frame weights"...or something.
    Weight frame on digital postal office scale. Unfortunately I cannot weight all parts there.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inkpad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenTurner
    Nevermind...
    I give up, say whatever you say, I don't care anymore ok? This thread is useless if we're going talking your POV, more bla bla bla.
    For everyone else who may want help I appreciate.
    I do have one question: What brand of DH frame did you get? (i'm a die hard DH racer, just want to know). A few brands weigh their frames without shocks (& say so in small print).

    Good luck with your build regardless

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    If you are building a new DHR, you will be around 40lbs or less with that build, of course you could save more weight by going with the Boxxer WC. The wheel build is good, but go for double butted spokes to save additional weight, mostly rotational. I did this, & at 200lbs the wheels have held up nicely. Oh yeah, run XO, much crisper shifting!

    You are asking for a lot of effort by peeps to find the EXACT weight on each & every part, when the payback is really how the bike rides. Take this for instance, this past year I did a race up here & was rapping with some guy on a Socom, which weighed 37lbs, 4 lbs lighter than my Sunday Factory. When we switched bikes for a run down the track, he wanted to trade .

    Build it, ride it, THEN weigh it, in that order.
    Not exact weight, can be a rough #. I just put that tiny exact #s bc I found them this way.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    OK Ill play nice......

    Mavic EX 823 = 675g (as posted on the MAVIC website - funny that eh?)
    Hope ProII 20mm Front = 180g (I am assuming you want 36H for a DH bike - again on HOPE website)
    Hope ProII 150mm Rear = 295g (Again assuming 36H)

    *NB All weights may vary +/- 1lb

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    OK Ill play nice......

    Mavic EX 823 = 675g (as posted on the MAVIC website - funny that eh?)
    Hope ProII 20mm Front = 180g (I am assuming you want 36H for a DH bike - again on HOPE website)
    Hope ProII 150mm Rear = 295g (Again assuming 36H)

    *NB All weights may vary +/- 1lb
    Thanks

  25. #25
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,665
    What you need is:
    http://www.ussbike.com/s.nl;jsession...0?it=A&id=3288

    Then you can weight things till your hearts content.

    Or just build it and go tear up the trails and enjoy the heck out of your rippen new bike.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  26. #26
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    OK Ill play nice......

    Mavic EX 823 = 675g (as posted on the MAVIC website - funny that eh?)
    Hope ProII 20mm Front = 180g (I am assuming you want 36H for a DH bike - again on HOPE website)
    Hope ProII 150mm Rear = 295g (Again assuming 36H)

    *NB All weights may vary +/- 1lb
    The rims are heavier than advertised, more like 720g range.

    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    720g you say? I guess we can assume all the quoted weights to be no where near actual amounts. Again this supports the futility of trying to weigh your bike out on paper doesnt it?
    And here I was trying to play nice I guess that +/- 1lb tongue in cheek comment was more true than I thought

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    The rims are heavier than advertised, more like 720g range.

    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Thanks Larry.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    I do have one question: What brand of DH frame did you get? (i'm a die hard DH racer, just want to know). A few brands weigh their frames without shocks (& say so in small print).

    Good luck with your build regardless
    PM was sent, cheers.

  30. #30
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    720g you say? I guess we can assume all the quoted weights to be no where near actual amounts. Again this supports the futility of trying to weigh your bike out on paper doesnt it?
    And here I was trying to play nice I guess that +/- 1lb tongue in cheek comment was more true than I thought
    That is because Mavic doesn't include nipple inserts weights for the tubeless ust rims which are ~60g for a wheel.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Here she is finally...


  32. #32
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    That is one fine lookin' rig!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    That is one fine lookin' rig!
    Thanks DB

  34. #34
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    Whole lotta jibber jabber over nothin'.

    Why is that Ventana in this Turner forum, anyway??

    If 1 lb. is such a big deal, skip a meal.
    If not biking, then what?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Why is that Ventana in this Turner forum, anyway?? ANY PROBLEM?

    If 1 lb. is such a big deal, skip a meal. No comments...

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,322

    Well, anyway

    Please post your guesstimate on what the total weight of all the parts SHOULD weigh (as in complete bike) then tell us what it really weighs, hung from an accurate digital scale. I'm doing the same thing myself with a new bike build and I'm guessing it's gonna weigh...ah, I'll just weigh it after it's built.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Please post your guesstimate on what the total weight of all the parts SHOULD weigh (as in complete bike) then tell us what it really weighs, hung from an accurate digital scale. I'm doing the same thing myself with a new bike build and I'm guessing it's gonna weigh...ah, I'll just weigh it after it's built.
    Ok, estimate 18,75kg. Bike build let you know when done

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.