Living the Dream

Way OT. Best non cellular PDA.

I know that there is a lot of IT Homers here, so I would like some suggestions for best PDA. I don't need a phone function. I am looking at the Dell & HP series in $450-$600 range.

Thanks
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Sponsored by Xanax
    How about a Blackberry? I hear they're going real cheap right now

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I know that there is a lot of IT Homers here, so I would like some suggestions for best PDA. I don't need a phone function. I am looking at the Dell & HP series in $450-$600 range.

Thanks
    I've got an hp Ipaq 1910 I'll sell ya for $75...

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow

Thanks
    iPAQ is the best Windows based. I was worried when HP bought them out, but they seem to have retained their quality.

Trail rider and racer
    Any of the Palm PDA's a great. I tend to think they have an advantage over the windows ones. Not sure why, but I suppose there own operating system is so well developed and there are heaps of developers out there and also they work with most platforms (windows/mac) without complication. Also they are very compact.
    Trev!

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Any of the Palm PDA's a great. I tend to think they have an advantage over the windows ones. Not sure why...
    How about, Palm's have a better battery life and a more reliable OS (re: Windows "reboot" out of trouble option). I've been using a Palm for around 4yrs now and have had hardly any problems (with "hacks", so I deserved some trouble) compared to pals with Windows based PDA's.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

Living the Dream

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the HP IPAQ 2795.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    iPAQ is the best Windows based. I was worried when HP bought them out, but they seem to have retained their quality.
    I guess the main difference between the IPAQ 2795 & the DEll Axim X51v is the the IPAQ is faster while the Dell has a better Display (VGA)? Anyone else have any thoughts on the Axim VS Ipaq?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    At least in my business (healthcare field), programs available for Palm far outnumber those for Windows. Of all of my co-workers that use PDAs on a daily basis, the Windows models have not held up IMHO. When I say daily basis, I mean consulting and using it several times an hour. I'm currently using a Palm T-5. If I had to buy one today ( and I would if mine died), I would get a Palm TX. I could not perform my job to my satisfaction without one of these devices. Screen is good, battery life is good. If you get a PDA, don't squirrel it away in a thick leather zippered case, so that an act of Congress is necessary to get to it! Keep it with you, in your pocket for immediate use. I sometimes carry mine when I ride and even have a waterproof sleeve for use with the kayak. (Mine has a BT gps I use with it).
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

Living the Dream

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    At least in my business (healthcare field), programs available for Palm far outnumber those for Windows. Of all of my co-workers that use PDAs on a daily basis, the Windows models have not held up IMHO. When I say daily basis, I mean consulting and using it several times an hour. I'm currently using a Palm T-5. If I had to buy one today ( and I would if mine died), I would get a Palm TX. I could not perform my job to my satisfaction without one of these devices. Screen is good, battery life is good. If you get a PDA, don't squirrel it away in a thick leather zippered case, so that an act of Congress is necessary to get to it! Keep it with you, in your pocket for immediate use. I sometimes carry mine when I ride and even have a waterproof sleeve for use with the kayak. (Mine has a BT gps I use with it).
    I travel to Central & South America a lot for my job as a civil engineer with Uncle Sam. My laptop is windows XP & I thought that the microsoft on the dell & hp would be more compatable with my laptop. I am looking to take the PDA on trips instead of my laptop because it is lighter and less bulky to travel with. I am most looking to use it for taking notes, writing trip reports, spreadsheets, calendar/schedule, and power point. Do you know if the palm is compatable with windows?

Thanks,

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostalee
    How about a Blackberry? I hear they're going real cheap right now
    I love my crack-berry. I can even surf and post on MTBR with it
    Nothing to see here.

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I sync it to several Windows XP machines daily. As far as documents, I use Documents to Go to carry Word and Excel files with me. Pocket PCs may be better in that application but my Palm seems to work OK for this.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

Living the Dream

I read up on the Palm TX & it looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    I sync it to several Windows XP machines daily. As far as documents, I use Documents to Go to carry Word and Excel files with me. Pocket PCs may be better in that application but my Palm seems to work OK for this.

Good reviews on CNet, compatable with XP, & cheaper by about $150-200. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that model.

Members who have read this thread: 0