water bottle cage question? Oh geez!!- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

water bottle cage question? Oh geez!!

Yeah, yeah, I know. What color presta caps should I run?

Seriously though. After not racing since 1996, I've been thinking of racing a local UT/WY series next season. This means I'm going to have to really trim down the 15 pounds of water/stuff I haul around in my Camelbak HAWG.

I used to use a Sachs Lockjaw bottle cage on my IBOC Pro-SX hardtail. I can't use it on my medium sized Flux. There's not enough room between the top tube and the top of the cage to easily get a bottle in and out. What bottle cage works well for medium fluxes? I recall the Specialized plastic cages would allow my bottle to bounce out. I don't want any of that action.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Check out the medium Flux I had last year

Two Specialized water bottle cages. I had another set of cage lugs (?) drilled under the downtube, OKed by Turner. Two large bottles. And another one showing the clearance of the upper large bottle. I don't see a problem. And I've never had a bottle come out of these cages.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Bodhisattva
    If space is tight, check out the Arundel sideloader.
    Very well designed, but expensive

https://www.arundelbike.com/sideloader.html?p=1.1.1.4

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    the med turners, flux included, have such a low slung toptube that fittin a cage gets tricky. i found a older profile cage fits well due to its twin sets of mounting holes allowin it to snug up close to the shock but all ya can get in there without flesh, alloy and plastic fightin over space is a short bottle. ill also add that ive never once lost a bottle out of 1 of these in 10 plus years.

good luck with the races! the flux is fun as hell in this reguard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I run a Ti King Cage on my medium Flux and have never had a problem with bottles ejecting. There is also a SS option if you're not into Ti excess. Fitting a large bottle hasn't been a problem on the Flux.

outclassed by his bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    I run a Ti King Cage on my medium Flux and have never had a problem with bottles ejecting. There is also a SS option if you're not into Ti excess. Fitting a large bottle hasn't been a problem on the Flux.
    I second this. I have a King SS cage on my small Burner and it works fine. Unlike cheapo metal cages, it does not tend to get bent out so that the bottle is insecure. I put the electrolyte glop into the bottle and plain water in my Camelbak.

Time flies...
    Here's the hot setup all the fast guys use...

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=16571

...every day sends future to past...

Members who have read this thread: 0