Water bottle bolts spin - don't come loose! Help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Water bottle bolts spin - don't come loose! Help.

Noticed my water bottle bolts kept coming loose so I put a dab of blue locktight on them a while ago. Today when I tired to remove bolts they just spin, don't come out. I can see under the cage the thin shoulder on the frame where the bolts go in is spinning also, so it seems like the nuts(?) in the frame have come loose. Any suggestions appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    Noticed my water bottle bolts kept coming loose so I put a dab of blue locktight on them a while ago. Today when I tired to remove bolts they just spin, don't come out. I can see under the cage the thin shoulder on the frame where the bolts go in is spinning also, so it seems like the nuts(?) in the frame have come loose. Any suggestions appreciated.
    The only good solution is to drill the bolts (treaded bits) out of the frame... and have a good bikeshop put in new ones. They should have a tool for this like a big rivet popper. Inserts are available in plain steel or RVS.

Did your frame have a respray or something? Or could anyone tell me what makes those things come lose?

greetz
    bettes

mtbr member
    I managed to wedge a thin screwdriver between the shoulder of the water bottle inserts and the frame and apply enough pressure to hold them while the bolts were removed. So, the cage is off, bolts out, but the two water bottle inserts are loose in the frame. As bettes asks, what makes them coem loose, what is supposed to hold them in place? Any easy fix not that I can get at them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennasdad
    I managed to wedge a thin screwdriver between the shoulder of the water bottle inserts and the frame and apply enough pressure to hold them while the bolts were removed. So, the cage is off, bolts out, but the two water bottle inserts are loose in the frame. As bettes asks, what makes them coem loose, what is supposed to hold them in place? Any easy fix not that I can get at them?
    the same tool they use to put them in can secure them once more... It wil pull on the treads and secure te thin part that stiks out of the frame against the frame more securely.

or more blue (or more permanent) locktite?

greetz
    bettes

mtbr member
    Thanks bettes - I'll see if any LBS have the tool.