Committed

Want to take the DW RFX for a test ride?

I thought you might, come along for a ride.

<object width="400" height="295"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12000300&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12000300&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="295"></embed></object>

Quick little vid I threw together from some trail riding on Sunday.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I thought you might, come along for a ride.

<object width="400" height="295"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12000300&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=12000300&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="295"></embed></object>

Quick little vid I threw together from some trail riding on Sunday.
    Thanks BUT F-YOU!

I think you are bragging and rubbing it in our faces to get a kick. It's not cool at all.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Thanks BUT F-YOU!

I think you are bragging and rubbing it in our faces to get a kick. It's not cool at all.
    Not at all, just trying to share. The new RFX does get seem to get everyone all worked up though...

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Wow that thing tears up the Confluence trail!! Hahaha Homers are funny!!

I miss riding up there!! Sweet vid

Build More = Ride More
    Not at all, just trying to share. The new RFX does get seem to get everyone all worked up though...
    I know. I was being sarcastic. Doesn't that trranslate well through my tone of voice-text?

Looks like it rips it hard.

I am still confused though. Didn't DT say it was canceled. Why are people still saying 2011?

Committed
    No worries, I didn't take you serious.
    It is my understanding that there will be a DW RFX, but it will not be the same as the proto I have been riding.

Build More = Ride More
    No worries, I didn't take you serious.
    It is my understanding that there will be a DW RFX, but it will not be the same as the proto I have been riding.
    Makes sense that Dt might use the Spot design and tweak it for a cheaper-to-develop DW RFX.

What percentage of capability does it have compared to the Highline, (which I assume you have ridden a lot on)?

Would you say 90%?

trail fairy
    Hilarious thread, I was loving it in a good way!!

Until

1soulrider No worries, I didn't take you serious.
    Geez really! No e spec however but when are the big boys going to get some loving
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    Makes sense that Dt might use the Spot design and tweak it for a cheaper-to-develop DW RFX.

What percentage of capability does it have compared to the Highline, (which I assume you have ridden a lot on)?

Would you say 90%?
    I would say at least 90%, maybe more. I do own a Highline, so needless to say I am familiar with it's abilities.

trail fairy
    Nice vid SR and riding, is that a Lyrik DH u got up front, bike does look good from what I can see

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Nice vid SR and riding, is that a Lyrik DH u got up front, bike does look good from what I can see
    Coil 170mm Lyrik DH seems like the choicest fork for a bike like that. My 2010 DH Lyrik is the best all around fork I have ever used.

Even if the RFX is a long travel Spot, it will probably shred just as hard. At least we wouldn;t have to wait as long.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Ya, Lyrik 170 solo air paired with a RP23, air never felt so good. Coil F&R feels great too, but I must say the RP23 feels better on this bike than any other I have tried.

I am very much looking forward to the production version of the DW RFX, the proto is an amazing ride.

mtbr member
    Any ideas what the new version of the RFX will look like; as far as geometry/travel goes?

I am hoping to buy a new frame soon and I am wondering if I should wait for the RFX.

Right now I am looking at the Rune and Endorphin.

DT? Any one?

TG

mtbr member
    So why won't Mr. turner build this version?

Looks like a rippahhh!

Hope the final version is even better.

trail fairy
    Ya, Lyrik 170 solo air paired with a RP23, air never felt so good. Coil F&R feels great too, but I must say the RP23 feels better on this bike than any other I have tried.

I am very much looking forward to the production version of the DW RFX, the proto is an amazing ride.
    Cheers YoP, agree

@ SR sounds great, I hope the prod stays the same with geo etc, I don't ness want a RFX/Highline, nor a LT spot but yr piccs and vids of that stir up the old RFX juices

But the GEO that was last decided on is that what yr proto runs 66dg ha 14"" BB or was it 65.5edg ha ahh mem

Either way I just don'tt see the point of a LT Spot, the current Spot seems to be able t cover the 140 -160m range so well why make this the same, makes no sense to me but then sense is long gone lol This just seems what so many people want, maybe with a few details standardized , but guess well have to wait and see

Keep enjoying that puppy ya a lucky lucky man to be ripping that baby, props deservedly so probably but still envious

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    song choice = good

rfx = good

Now with flavor!!
    Guess those export settings worked.

Now give me that bike for a weekend beyotch
    Last edited by kidwoo; 05-25-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Fantastic video. Looking forward to the RFX, and really happy to hear about the Lyrik 170 DH.

Will that proto ever go up on the auction block, DT?

banned
    May 2010
    Ahhhh....

A breath of fresh air. This place has been BORING!

Why weren't you hitting those doubles in the beginning? I noticed a rather large gap somewhere in the middle too...

I miss Cali sometimes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onetimeonly
    Ahhhh....

A breath of fresh air. This place has been BORING!

Why weren't you hitting those doubles in the beginning? I noticed a rather large gap somewhere in the middle too...

I miss Cali sometimes.
    The doubles at the start are really just poorly built jumps to flat. There is one double (that he hit) but it is built for xc riders, so its about shin high, bucky, and too short. One of the poorest hitting "doubles" I've ever seen.

but the real question is: ladders?! omgwtfbbq! where are those?! I need to find/ride those! same trail, just on an off shoot or something?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I like that trail, I wish there were more like it in Auburn. There is more stuff in Auburn, on the other side of the valleys, but it's pretty easy to ride it all relaively quickly. Still, it's fun and an easy ride to the top. Remember way back in the day when I rode it on my Rocky Mtn DH race, about 6" of travel each side,it was pretty pefect for that trail/area. You defintely don't need tons of travel there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I like that trail, I wish there were more like it in Auburn. There is more stuff in Auburn, on the other side of the valleys, but it's pretty easy to ride it all relaively quickly. Still, it's fun and an easy ride to the top. Remember way back in the day when I rode it on my Rocky Mtn DH race, about 6" of travel each side,it was pretty pefect for that trail/area. You defintely don't need tons of travel there.
    It gets real boring real quick on that trail....except those ladders look both new, fun, and exciting. But yah, that trail, and plenty of others in auburn, a 5-7 inch bike is pretty much perfect.

The stuff that lands you in mammoth bar and a couple local trails elsewhere in the vicinity can definitely be done faster on a DH bike then a 6 inch bike though. Never seen the point in purposely under biking yourself for the trails, and neither did anybody in my riding group, which is why we went from a bunch of guys on 6 inch bikes to a bunch of guys on DH bikes

Anyway, 1soulrider, I keep seeing you out there, we'll have to hook up and shuttle and beer some time. And you'll have to show me where those ladders are

Knomer
    Here is a spy shot of my 2011 DW RFX prototype...

Yes that's right, I take spy shots of my own bikes. It's really hard to do since I always seem to be hanging around the bike when I wanna take the spy shot.

The DW RFX ended up a little heavier than I would have expected, almost exactly the same as a Highline. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Tease.......

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    It gets real boring real quick on that trail....except those ladders look both new, fun, and exciting. But yah, that trail, and plenty of others in auburn, a 5-7 inch bike is pretty much perfect.

The stuff that lands you in mammoth bar and a couple local trails elsewhere in the vicinity can definitely be done faster on a DH bike then a 6 inch bike though. Never seen the point in purposely under biking yourself for the trails, and neither did anybody in my riding group, which is why we went from a bunch of guys on 6 inch bikes to a bunch of guys on DH bikes

Anyway, 1soulrider, I keep seeing you out there, we'll have to hook up and shuttle and beer some time. And you'll have to show me where those ladders are

For sure. If not in Auburn, we should hook up and ride at N*.

banned
    May 2010

Top Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Here is a spy shot of my 2011 DW RFX prototype...

The DW RFX ended up a little heavier than I would have expected, almost exactly the same as a Highline. Go figure.
    Mine will be out in 2012

Sorry, no Spy Shots

<object width="650" height="488"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11938559&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11938559&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="650" height="488"></embed></object>

Trail Rider
    [QUOTE=onetimeonly]Mine will be out in 2012

Sorry, no Spy Shots

Funny.

Not a DW RFX though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Okay, somebody please PM me and tell me where those ladders are. Unless the OP purposely put that section of video in the wrong order, they would have to be somewhere between the tunnel and Old Foresthill Road (start of confluence trail). But where?!

Now with flavor!!
    riding a bike and looking for things is SO hard!

hey 1soulrider, will you steer my bike for me when I go ride looking for some dumb random ass piece of wood on a trail? Pleeeeeeeeeeeze.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Kidwoo- Take it easy on Neldar. He's super lazy, so for him, riding a bike and looking for stuff is pretty hard. When are you coming up my way next? I've been thinking of heading down to Black Rock sometime soon, interested?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoefreerider
    Kidwoo- Take it easy on Neldar. He's super lazy, so for him, riding a bike and looking for stuff is pretty hard. When are you coming up my way next? I've been thinking of heading down to Black Rock sometime soon, interested?

Funny.....I've been thinking about heading up to blackrock too..

So that's a definite yes.

Will you show me where all the pieces of wood are so I can ride on them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR

Right now I am looking at the Rune and Endorphin.

TG
    Those bikes are more inline with the 5-Spot.

RFX would be equivalent to the Delerium or Wildcard

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl

Hey Sharon (Lee?), gotta chime in with that.
    I'm running a Rune now and I find it to be somewhere in between my previous highline and RFX in terms of FR/DH capability. I suppose it climbs more like a light RFX/Spot...weight is similar to the RFX... but on the DH it's in a different category for sure (especially with ISCG tabs and the 1.5 head tube w/ reducer cups = 66.5 degree head angle). Rune is definitely more "freeride light" than "all mountain" IMHO.

mtbr member

Not really

Not really....

That is why I want to know which way DT is leaning. The Rune and Endo. have a 67* HA and are a lot lighter that the DT and WC. If Turner is aiming for the lighter side of things the new RFX should be a direct competitor to bikes like the Rune, Nomad and Endo. Turner has talked about the RFX being in the low 7 lbs. range and running an air shock. The DT and WC are quite a bit heavier and most run coils. Turner also mentioned this bike will be able to climb and be built in the low 30s if that is what you want to do. I don't see the DT and Wildcard in that same class.

If the new RFX leans towards the Highline then that is a different story. Until Turner makes some sort of announcement I guess we are all stuck wondering or buying a different brand of bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn! Knoll Slackened the endorphin! Mine's 68 degree, but the spot and endorphin are both 140mm. RFX should be 160

I agree the Rune is more on the freeride side, but one of my friends has it built up to be more all mountain, its still only 150mm. But his other bike is a demo9

sharon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rfx

Travel is 165, HA 66, SA 72 BB 13.5ish. Those #s are pretty close to what 1soul got to ride, but that style bike will not be produced. We will just carry on the geo and toss the rest.

It will be standard with RP23, but DW was sure to engineer the RC4 in the mix for those that want a coil. Don't know how this all sits with the pile of others, but it is what the bike is.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Travel is 165, HA 66, SA 72 BB 13.5ish. Those #s are pretty close to what 1soul got to ride, but that style bike will not be produced. We will just carry on the geo and toss the rest.

It will be standard with RP23, but DW was sure to engineer the RC4 in the mix for those that want a coil. Don't know how this all sits with the pile of others, but it is what the bike is.

DT

Look forward to checking out the new version.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    • Travel is 165, HA 66, SA 72 BB 13.5ish.
    • It will be standard with RP23, but DW was sure to engineer the RC4
    • Don't know how this all sits with the pile of others, but it is what the bike is.

DT
    Sits mighty good

Build More = Ride More

DT
    If I was gay I would totally kiss you!

mtbr member
    DT-

Are those geo #'s with a 160mm (~545mm AC) fork or the new crop of 170mm/180mm forks (ie. new RS Lyriks & Fox 36's)?

Can't wait to see the proto!
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 05-28-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    I think it's a complete farse for it to tested on the West Coast. East Coast (Pisgah) trails are far better testing grounds and people that are ghey (Kidwoo) should not even think of posing as potential testers. Only a truly challenging trail system (Pisgah) should be chosen to test prototypes on.

Besides, if one wanted to test a bike in sand, you need only let someone with a crusty butt who is ghey (Kidwoo) sit on it, not ride it. Only the wet, rooty, boggy, unforgiving confines of the East Coast (Pisgah) are fit for torture testing.

And what better person to test an RFX than a true bike handler extraordinare (Bizutch) who can sense even the most subtle tweaks in geometry, physics and handling.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Now with flavor!!
    I'll test it for mountain biking then send it your way to see how well it barhumps, matches the lastest high fashion TLD kit, and sends dead sailors.........deal?

banned
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I'll test it for mountain biking then send it your way to see how well it barhumps, matches the lastest high fashion TLD kit, and sends dead sailors.........deal?

With a fanboi such as yourself and sponsored riders giving the only reviews, the RFX is sounding almost as HYPED as the DeeDud Spot.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by onetimeonly
    With a fanboi such as yourself and sponsored riders giving the only reviews, the RFX is sounding almost as HYPED as the DeeDud Spot.

Don't let 'em fool ya man!

You're way too sharp! I can tell!
    Last edited by kidwoo; 05-29-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Flacko
    Mar 2006

DT

sounds like a dream!

looking forward to 2011....

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by altadank
    sounds like a dream!

looking forward to 2015....
    Yep, yep, but fixed that for you

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Is 13.5" BB height kinda low for a 6.5" travel coil bike? What say you?
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

injured reserve list
    Thanks for the ride 1soulrider.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    lotsa sweet jumps in that vid...sorta like this one:
    http://www.vurbmoto.com/news/2070/wi...wart-compound/

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemeat

Hell no.

Sounds sweet. I wish my dh bike had a bb that low.

mtbr member

It might take a ride or two to get used to in the rocks, but these low BB Bikes absolutly rail corners like no ones business.
    I dig it.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Nice to know someone admires my riding style, but I'm quite hurt that you don't know I ride Oakley kit. My D2 and Combat Knee guards (TLD reference) are both 3+ seasons old and the only TLD I've ever got to own.

The slogan "For the world's fastest racers" mocks me.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Now with flavor!!
    I'll be sure to update my files

a tight kick sound

HELLLLL NOOOOO!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Way too low for me and AZ rocks.

I can see a bit lower than the previous generation, like 14.0 or 13.8, but 13.5 with that much travel is asking for trouble. How much front travel is that, 180 or 170?

I think a lot of people are pushing to make the RFX like a mini-DH bike. That's fine if you want a mini-DH bike, but the terrain here isn't getting any smoother.

If it's 13.5 I'd rather that be with 2.3" tires and only 160ish front fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have no more interest in testing the DW RFX cause Im buying an UZZI Vp, got tired of waiting, I need a freeride bike now. Sooory DT, Ill make sure to buy the revised version in 3 years when I break my out of warranty Intense!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewithchucky
    I have no more interest in testing the DW RFX cause Im buying an UZZI Vp, got tired of waiting, I need a freeride bike now. Sooory DT, Ill make sure to buy the revised version in 3 years when I break my out of warranty Intense!
    Nother one bites the dust!

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Way too low for me and AZ rocks.

I can see a bit lower than the previous generation, like 14.0 or 13.8, but 13.5 with that much travel is asking for trouble. How much front travel is that, 180 or 170?

I think a lot of people are pushing to make the RFX like a mini-DH bike. That's fine if you want a mini-DH bike, but the terrain here isn't getting any smoother.

If it's 13.5 I'd rather that be with 2.3" tires and only 160ish front fork.

Nobody rides teh roxors like jayem!!!

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    What're u riding for AZ Jayem?
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

Members who have read this thread: 0