mtbr member
    May 2006

Very close to pulling the trigger on a DW Spot... need your help to finish it off!!

Ok, we are talking about a new DW 5-Spot with the EXP-kit but with 2 major changes:

2010 Revelation Team 150, 20mm Maxle Lite
    Industry Nine wheelset

Question no.1:
    Do I get the adjustable or fixed travel version of the Revelation? The adjustable version gives you adjustability 120-150mm. I'm planning to do all kinds of riding, but I haven't owned a Turner before so I don't know if the Spot needs the travel adjust on the climbs. Moreover will the fork be less plush if it's adjustable due to the extra seals inside etc..? I'm lightweight at 155lb with gear and I like plush and good small bump sensitivity :-)

Question no.2:
    Do I get the I-9 'enduro' or 'all mountain' version wheels? I do all kinds of riding within the aggressive trail spectrum and plan to run 2.35" tires.

Thanks a lot!
    Mike

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecy
    Ok, we are talking about a new DW 5-Spot with the EXP-kit but with 2 major changes:

Industry Nine wheelset

Question no.1:
    Do I get the adjustable or fixed travel version of the Revelation? The adjustable version gives you adjustability 120-150mm. I'm planning to do all kinds of riding, but I haven't owned a Turner before so I don't know if the Spot needs the travel adjust on the climbs. Moreover will the fork be less plush if it's adjustable due to the extra seals inside etc..? I'm lightweight at 155lb with gear and I like plush and good small bump sensitivity :-)

Question no.2:
    Do I get the I-9 'enduro' or 'all mountain' version wheels? I do all kinds of riding within the aggressive trail spectrum and plan to run 2.35" tires.

Thanks a lot!
    Mike
    Crazy question...

Because the spot can be built to a super gnar RFX crusher, or weight weenie XC racer, you might want to provide a few more details as to the type of riding that you intend on doing.

banned
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Crazy question...

Because the spot can be built to a super gnar RFX crusher, or weight weenie XC racer, you might want to provide a few more details as to the type of riding that you intend on doing.
    Really 123... REALLY!??!

Do you just hang out on the boards… waiting to get in a jab on the Spot? So you’re right, more detail about riding conditions are needed to provide good advice… but RFX crusher?? Any chance you get, you take!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The all mountain wheels are way too small and light, go with the enduros for sure IMO. The fork question I can't help you with, good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a new 150 Rev team u-turn at Push being tuned now but have been running a Pike u-turn for the last year and like the travel adjust. I don't use it often but it is helpful on longer steep climbs, IMO the climbs have to be long and really steep (20-30%) for you to benefit from travel adjust on the DW spot. If you have shorter punchy climbs then u-turn isn't that important. I don't think you'll lose any small bump compliance with u-turn. I like the Flow wheels for aggressive, rocky trail riding. Good balance of stegnth and weight and you can run any tire you want. The Mavic SX would be a good option too.

Committed

Industry Nine wheelset

Question no.1:

Question no.2:

Thanks a lot!
    Mike

I would go with the Enduros if you ride rough trails at speed.
    As for the Rev 150, I recently ordered a no U Turn version (fixed). I have a 36 Talas now on my DW Spot with a taller a/c height and mostly use the travel adjust on tight steep switchbacks. If your riding has a lot of very steep and twisty climbing the U Turn may be useful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Industry Nine wheelset

Question no.1:

Question no.2:

Thanks a lot!
    Mike

I would go with the adjustable version - I have one. It is nice to have the ability to refine the travel. I usually have mine between 135 to 150. I would also go with the enduro wheelw

Moosehead
    +1 to the adjustable fork for long, extended, steep ascents. Also a benefit at the max travel settings for the opposite - good to have the the extra suss and slacker HA for gnarlier downs. Recent generation Fox Talas and RS Uturns also work much better than earlier versions with solid reliability and better smaller bump compliance.

That said, many here also seem to like coil, and the set it and forget it ability of the DWL on climbs as the rear end doesn't drop down, which would otherwise slacken the bike at the wrong time. YMMV depending on your preferences and terrain.

Curious, are you able to do the a la carte upgrades to the Exp Kit directly from Turner, or is your LBS doing this for you? Enjoy the new horse and post up some photos.

tardcore
    I don't know much about I9 wheels but the AM's look like they'd work just fine for a Spot. For the Revelation the U-Turn is 1840 grams while the non version is 1765 so there's almost no weight gain and it's nice to play with. I have a Talas 150 on my Spot and find myself riding primarily at 130 and using the 150 for longer downhills. I like the sharp handling of the 130 setting plus the bike has less of a bias on the rear so it feels a little snappier. Bottom line, travel adjust is nice if there's not any real penalty, ie performance or weight.

mtbr member
    I always purchase the most adjustable and fiddly components and never end up playing with the adjustments.

I'd go with the burlier wheelset, it'd suck to go with the skimpier wheels and beat the hell out of them. That's if your riding and terrain dictate them.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for everybodys' replies.

I have decided to go for the I-9 Enduro wheels, since I don't mind the extra 90gr for having a more versatile and durable wheelset.

Now, on the fork question (the difficult one ) I decided in favor of adjustable travel so I'll go for the 2010 Revelation Team U-Turn. My conserns here are not so much on the weight (91gr to be exact) or the cost, but mainly on the plushiness/small bump compliance and reliability vs. having the adjustability funcion.

Many people over at the shox&suspension forum say that U-Turn or Dual Air they are both equally plush. I want to believe this. However on the reliability, it is a fact that some people have had some issues with their new Revelations, I hope this issue is now sorted by RockShox. I get the feeling I will enjoy and make use of the adjustable travel so U-Turn it is!!

Moosehead - the changes to the EXP kit are done by my LBS, who rocks IMO!! This is Brian over at BoutiqueBikes.com

So now on to the final quation: colors!!

See my other thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...02#post6455402

mtbr member
    It seems all forks can have problems but at least Rock Shox has excellent customer service. Plus you have the future option of having it PUSHed. I don't think you'll find a lack of plushness because of the adjustable travel.

mtbr member
    I would get the Rev sans u-turn for New England riding. The A-C works well for climbing -just dont run a foot of spacers or a super high rise bar. For colours check out the stickies at the top of the page. Look at all the DW models.

Members who have read this thread: 0