• Magura Louise DH, 7" rotor

6 25.00%
  • Shimano Saint, 8" rotor, Saint levers

3 12.50%
  • other--be specific

11 45.83%
    Captain Underpants

Upgrading Brakes on Flux--Suggestions

I'm getting ready to upgrade brakes on a recently built 06 Flux. I have XTR 960's, 6" rotors, and they just don't do it for me on the downhill--on the flats they are fine (plus I hate the dual control levers). I want to go with a larger rotor, here are my choices:

BB7 w/ 7" rotors, Avid levers
    Magura Louise FR w/7" rotors (made a mistake on the poll, DOH)
    Shimano Saint, 8" rotors

I'm riding an XL, weight over 240#. XC, tight singletrack, some DH fireroads. I posted a similar question on the clydsdale forum and the answers were all over the map.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 10-26-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'll jump in and recommend the Louise FR (or the newer BAT). Good power, modulate well, decent weight, and great customer service.

Time flies...
    I'm intrigued by the K24's....
    ...every day sends future to past...

ride
    Out of those choices, I'd go with the Maguras. It's quality, strong, and easy to set up and maintain. The Saints are good brakes, too, but in my opinion, don't have the super fine modulation of the Maguras. I wouldn't put a the BB7 in the same league as the other two.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

No, that's not phonetic
    To to ebay and grab a set of the Louise FR brakes for $240. Great stuff. I have 5 sets of Louises now and one set of Martas.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Hope Mono 6 pots, if they don't pull you up nothing will

On a more serious note I still find the old XT four pots with a 6 inch rotor excellent in outright stopping power and the modulation isn't as bad as some suggest. Maybe worth considering as you can still pick them up new pretty cheaply.

Also what pads are you using and is your current system bled properly (not that you sound like you want to keep them). I find that with the metal pads and properly bled my XTRs stop with the best of them (I am a bit lighter though). Maybe the new larger XTR rotor is also worth a try at the front in combination with the new XTR brake lever.

So one vote for new XTR in 180mm or 203mm with new XTR lever.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 10-27-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    You could try changing your levers and buying the rotor.. I just changed my XT dual controls to normal XT levers and love it so far... I weigh about 210# and run a 180mm rotor in the front. But if you are set on changing I would also go for Magura Louises...

Cheers

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    Hope Mono 6 pots, if they don't pull you up nothing will

On a more serious note I still find the old XT four pots with a 6 inch rotor excellent in outright stopping power and the modulation isn't as bad as some suggest. Maybe worth considering as you can still pick them up new pretty cheaply.

Also what pads are you using and is your current system bled properly (not that you sound like you want to keep them). I find that with the metal pads and properly bled my XTRs stop with the best of them (I am a bit lighter though). Maybe the new larger XTR rotor is also worth a try at the front in combination with the new XTR brake lever.

For heavier riders, one will find that a rider at a higher weight will have more modulation with brake reported to have a lack of it for lighter riders.

I would also make sure the fork the OP is using is approved for whatever brakes are planned on being used.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm 6'2" and 230# I've been running the XTR brakes since '03 on my Spot and now on my RFX as well. I find them more than powerful enough, even decending Porc rim in Moab at my best managable speed.

I run an 8" up front and metal pads all around. At the very least run one metal and one organic but the dual metal pads will be the best. You really don't need an 8" rotor in the back on anything less than a shuttle bike. (sure as hell not on a flux) If you're not getting enough power out of a 6" rear rotor, something's either wrong with your setup (blead improperly, contaminated pads or rotor etc) or you are not using the fronts enough, which is where your real stopping power should come from.

My suggestion is before you dump a ton of cash on a total new setup is get some standard XT controls(maybe), get a pair of Danger boy Levers (YES! they DO help a lot!) an 8" rotor and adaptor up front, and metal pads all around.

One of the best thing about the XT/XTR calipers is that they have superb modulation...very proportional the input and very predictable and consistant across the whole range.
    My only concern is... if you're thinking about 8" rotors on a Flux, and you weigh 240#... are you exceeding the frame's range of use as well?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Captain Underpants

Some super ideas here . . .You guys rock!

Hmm, sounds interesting, Iíll have to check out the new XTR. More than one person suggested changing out the levers and pads . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

I would also make sure the fork the OP is using is approved for whatever brakes are planned on being used.
    Should have posted thisóIím using a fox f100x, which will take an 8Ē rotor. Not sure if the skewer will . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I'm 6'2" and 230# I've been running the XTR brakes since '03 on my Spot and now on my RFX as well. I find them more than powerful enough, even decending Porc rim in Moab at my best managable speed.

My suggestion is before you dump a ton of cash on a total new setup is get some standard XT controls(maybe), get a pair of Danger boy Levers (YES! they DO help a lot!) an 8" rotor and adaptor up front, and metal pads all around.

My only concern is... if you're thinking about 8" rotors on a Flux, and you weigh 240#... are you exceeding the frame's range of use as well?
    Great comments on setup. Yeah, the brakes are setup and bled properly, I should have mentioned that. Iím intrigued by the idea of different leversóperhaps itís just the DC levers that suck. Iím also going to pull the pads or switch to metal pads, as I'm certian now they are NOT metal.

Actually, now that Iíve read all the comments, I think that a 7Ē in front would be more than enough for the Flux. 8Ē would be overkill.

Iím also concerned about my weight being an issue on the bike, but I have the ability to drop 50# (yeah, serious fatty ) so by the time Iím done I should be ok. Hey, if I break the frame it will be my excuse to get a 5 spot! (in retrospect, I should have called Turner and asked.)

The only other consideration is, If I do go with a set of new brakes, it means I can sell all of my XTR as a gruppo on eBay . . .

banned
    Magura Gustaf DH with 220mm Red Raven Rotors, and Dangerboy "Urban Camo" anodized custom "upgrade" levers. Don't forget the Goodridge stainless steel lines.

mtbr member
    I recently upgraded to Formulas K-24's (from Hope Mono Minis) Very happy, substantially more powerful & easier to set up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

deep breath

I just read thru this thread and I think ya need to step back and think about the whole package. If you are going fast enough to NEED 8" rotors on the Flux you are on the wrong frame and fork package. Take the good advice of just upgrading the levers as Dual control are flexy feeling roady crap to any of the other Shimano hydro brake levers that you like the look of and go up to the 7" on the front. If you need more than that, dump the whole bike and build an RFX.

DT

Peace & Love

I run an 8" up front and metal pads all around. At the very least run one metal and one organic but the dual metal pads will be the best. You really don't need an 8" rotor in the back on anything less than a shuttle bike. (sure as hell not on a flux) If you're not getting enough power out of a 6" rear rotor, something's either wrong with your setup (blead improperly, contaminated pads or rotor etc) or you are not using the fronts enough, which is where your real stopping power should come from.

One of the best thing about the XT/XTR calipers is that they have superb modulation...very proportional the input and very predictable and consistant across the whole range.
    no offense, but that is silly advice....way too much logic going on. the simple answer really is that Avid Codes should be used for any application for anybody since they look cool.

mtbr member

Anybody know if the 180mm XTR rotors are available to the public yet? I've been waiting to do this upgrade.

-Derek

mtbr member
    Kind of off topic, just wondering how the Danger boy levers help out? Haven't seen much about them.

-Derek

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I just read thru this thread and I think ya need to step back and think about the whole package. If you are going fast enough to NEED 8" rotors on the Flux you are on the wrong frame and fork package. Take the good advice of just upgrading the levers as Dual control are flexy feeling roady crap to any of the other Shimano hydro brake levers that you like the look of and go up to the 7" on the front. If you need more than that, dump the whole bike and build an RFX.

DT
    I'll probably build an RFX anyway, at some point.

After re-reading the thread I do not think I need 8" rotors either--The Saints were just a killer deal, so I was considering them, since someone mentioned them in another thread. I think you are right and that they would be overkill and unsuited to the bike. I'm not going THAT fast . . . .

The more I think about it, I think that the problem lies with the levers and the pads. I figure I can get XT/Saint levers new for 150 from price point or whoever. That leaves extra $$ for pads and to put a 7" rotor up front, should I need it.

Or I can buy Magura Louise FR w/7" rotors for $250 (incl. shipping) right now and be done with it, selling the XTR.

Either way, I'm dumping the levers. "flexy feeling roadie crap" is right on the money.

So, who has better/stiffer levers--Magura or Shimano?

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    no offense, but that is silly advice....way too much logic going on. the simple answer really is that Avid Codes should be used for any application for anybody since they look cool.
    Which means I have been doing it ALL wrong--I've been matching my Gold Maguras to my gold Chris Bling headset and hubs--guess color coordination is out . . .

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Which means I have been doing it ALL wrong--I've been matching my Gold Maguras to my gold Chris Bling headset and hubs--guess color coordination is out . . .
    i was joking of course and no, color coordination is very 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Anybody know if the 180mm XTR rotors are available to the public yet? I've been waiting to do this upgrade.

-Derek
    Well the new XTR wheelset is available here in Tassie, so given that we are a fairly low priority for bike distribution I would expect the new rotors to be available where you are.

Captain Underpants
    Went with the Magura Louise, 180mm, Front and rear. I serously considered swapping levers, either going to a Saint or XT lever, and swapping out pads, but in the end I figured it would be more time effectve to go with an entirely new set of brakes.

Also picked up a 2007 X.9 rear der and some X.0 gropeshifters to complete the package.

Guess I should post a pic of the original build before I start swapping out parts . . . .

Members who have read this thread: 0