mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Turner worldwide shipping

I just wanted to order a czar complete bike to Croatia, Europe. Are they serious with the shipping??? $1000-3000 UPS. I have never paid more than $200 for anything bike related including complete bikes!!

I love Turner, but apparently they are really trying hard to loose that few customers they still have compared to ibises, pivots etc. and bring the company into reorganisation or something...

What is the goal of this outrageous worldwide shipping, decrease the already small customer base even further?

Happy to hear your experience

Norūwegr
    Perhaps you should try emailing them and probably solve this in the time it takes them to respond..?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I seriously doubt Turner has anything to do with shipping costs.......those are set by UPS and how much volume Turner ships. Maybe an option would be to buy from a company that has origins on your side of the planet.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I assume there is brokerage fee included which is crazy price.........

I agree talk to Turner yourself and find out!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I seriously doubt Turner has anything to do with shipping costs.......those are set by UPS and how much volume Turner ships. Maybe an option would be to buy from a company that has origins on your side of the planet.
    Agree. I bought a Flux a few years back here in Hawaii (after demoing in CA). There was no dealer here on the island. It was well over $300 to ship here. UPS, FedEx.........Even with our business acct here. Shipping has become outrageous. It's not like I needed it over night. This was "Ground" shipping here. That means on a boat.........

I used to ship my bikes ahead of me to a shop at my destination with a note to say put it aside and I'll pick it up on such and such a date (and show up with Mac Nuts and Chocolate bribes). No more, too crazy expensive.

However, the shipping still came out cheaper than paying the taxes if I had bought it in California.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    One option is to buy such that you can take it on a plane with you. Bikes are free/cheap on Alaska Air. Have not heard of more than $75 on other carriers. Or have a friend backhaul it if you are not traveling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Same issue here, I would have purchased a frame, but the shipping costs are ludicrous. I imagine the shipping costs are going to mean that many international buyers are going to look else where.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There are several European Turner dealers. Did you ask them first if they can sell you the bike? That would seem more sensible before slating the company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Do you think silverstink would sell it to me for 1800-1900EUR (current usd price of blue czar increased by VAT, customs), even if they had it in stock, which they don't...? Didn't think so...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I don't get your maths.
    Current Czar Eagle build is $3529.50. That converts to EUR 2990 for a base Czar full build.
    It sucks that bikes cost more outside the country they are made. I lived in the UK and managed to buy my Turner in the USA and flew back with it. But bikes cost more in other countries and importers aren't a charity. They need to make a profit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was referring to frame only price of the blue frame. It is a good deal even if you import it to continental Europe, of course if postage would be normal...
    Don't know what this translates into if you import it to UK, which is not EU anymore anyway...

mtbr member
    Isnít the Lack of bikes being produced a more relavent concern than shipping costs at this point?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, to import a Czar or Flux frame to the UK
    Frame $2695 + shipping (cheapest) $995.73= $3690.73 (£2730.61)
    Then add (I presume Turner has not included these)
    Duty £133.40 and VAT £594.36
    Total= £3458.37 or $4674.80
    On top of the above there will be handling charges which can be $$$ £££

I mention in another post how buying a Turner in the U.K. is so difficult now. By the way we are still in the European market until next year so I guess these figures could be around the same for other countries.

The other way is fly to USA have a holiday. Purchase a Turner bike $4458 (£3298) ride it pack it up fly back with it and there wonít be anything else to pay as itís been used.

Unfortunately buying a Turner in the U.K. is so difficult. Only the distributer Silver.... seems too and just checking their website they only show a RFX, previous Sultan, t shirts and parts. They donít inspire me with confidence of Turner loyalty.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why bother? Now that Turner imports their frames from the same Asian factories as everyone else, it confounds me why people would go to the effort??...there's so many options out there--with rare exceptions, bike frames are a commodity now.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Why bother? Now that Turner imports their frames from the same Asian factories as everyone else, it confounds me why people would go to the effort??...there's so many options out there--with rare exceptions, bike frames are a commodity now.
    Unfortunately, you are right.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    You can fly to SFO from the UK for around £600 and get your frame sorted. I may be doing this in July.

Silverfish aren't the UK distributer any longer.

They have a bargain Sultan left though.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Unfortunately, you are right.
    u guys are right, I am mostly set on Fezzari now...

@rone, I don't have GBP300k salary like you to be buying Enves and flying to US just to buy taiwan made carbon bikes...

mtbr member
    @rone, I don't have GBP300k salary like you to be buying Enves and flying to US just to buy taiwan made carbon bikes...

What? I earn circa 25k.

I'm going on holiday to USA at a cost of £600 , the point is the flight would be paid for in the purchase of the frame.

As for enves, not cheap but I'm on five years with them now and got a pretty good deal.

Don't need the insults to be honest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, I agree. An RFX frame is £2995 whilst in the USA itís approx £2300. You can get flights and add a hire car with the savings depending on the time of year. Of course accommodation needs to be added and spending money. I guess if you go for a fully built Turner youíre probably going to get accommodation aswell. Remember just put a bit of mud on the frame to avoid duty.
    Itís not about earnings itís about value for money and Iíd rather have frame/bike and a trip to the USA than forking out £3000 to £6000 in the U.K. for a Turner if you can get one.
    Skye

mtbr member
    Besides we don't really have a choice now!

Plus you can ride in the US. It's a win win.

Luggage is the only consideration for me - at 60 each way for sports luggage.

mtbr member
    When I spoke with Turner a few months ago, i was told that shipping to Australia for a bike would be ~$200, and that the exact shipping cost would be confirmed to me before I had to finalise my order.

That's a great answer and very reasonable pricing