mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Turner HL to Turner DW

I am ready for a new toy. I currently have an 03 5Spot and have enjoyed riding it for over 5 years. Over the past 2 years I have been debated buying a Flux, which I thought would be a better hill climber. Now with the advent of DW link I am torn.
    I want a bike that will make me more efficient on climbs, because that is where I have struggled with my 5Spot. I intend to try both the new Flux and 5Spot for my comparison, but I thought I would see if anyone had any good advise.
    I may also try the Pivot Mach's, but they would have to be far superior to make me leave Turner, which I don't see happening. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just got back from my maiden voyage on my new DW 5spot.

It does everything better than my 03 spot. I'll post a reveiw a little later.

I've never ridden a flux so I can't comment on how much better of a climbing machine it would be, but I can say that my new DW climbs more efficiently than my 03. it's just firmer without giving up anything on the decents.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went from a 05 HL to a DW Spot 2 months ago.

So far I have not found a situation where the HL was better than the DW, and many areas where the DW is better than the HL.

The DW spot is about 1/2lb heavier than the HL (for the same size frame. My large frame weighs just over 7lb), but is is much stiffer.

If weight is the issue with your climbing, then the DW Flux maybe the best option, but if its traction when climbing, the suspension action of the DW Spot should help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the replies. It would be hard not to purchase another 5Spot especially since I have heard nothing but great reviews & feedback. I guess the bottom line is that I need to get out and demo one of each to decide.
    It seems like every five years I go through the same thing, which is wanting to build a new bike to recharge the (mountain bike) batteries.

Thanks

Moosehead
    Riflebike, what is your current 5 spot setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Current setup:
    Turner 5Spot Horst Link (medium)
    Fork: Fox Float RLC
    Shock: Fox RP3
    Cranks: RaceFace Tubine
    Hubs: XTR
    Wheels: Mavic 317 UST
    Tires: WTB Weirwolves UST
    Brakes: XTR Hydrolic
    Shifters: Sram X-7
    F Der: XT
    R Der: Sram X-7
    Bars: Monkey Lite (carbon)
    That's all of the major items I can think of.

Moosehead
    +1 Flux is a huge help on big ascent days, but it's a little nervous on the downs and not as bomber as Spot. Two other minor upgrades that help a ton with climbing on many rigs, including 08 and older Spots, are an adjustable front fork and the propedal rear shock. Many don't care for pp, but IME it works well when dialed in. Of course, you can just go DWL and fuggetabout the pp, but the adjust front fork is still the way to go if you are earning your descents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You know, when I was listing my components I was thinking the same thing. I bet an RP23 would make a huge difference, which is the direction I may go in. I could also get my shock Pushed and have a different feeling 5Spot, but Damn are those new Turner's sweet looking. My 5Spot has become a part of the family, so even if I buy a new frame I don't think I could get rid of mine.

Moosehead, I see that you own a 5Spot and a Flux. Do you ride both depending on the type of ride your doing that day?

Moosehead
    They're both great horses, and grabbing either off the wall is a blast. Flux gets saddled for big climbing days and XC, which happens on the Front Range given the Rockies start tilting up here. Flux can handle tech better than most think, but it's a little less forgiving. Spot for more comfortable and aggro trail riding, though it also has great climbing abilities when setup as described above. Unless you are doing enduro or xc events, I'd say Spot is the better all rounder.

It's only a matter of time that someone will throw out the Sultan on this forum, so you'll have a third option to debate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I could definitely save a lot of cash by upgrading my shock and few other components. I plan on demoing a DW 5Spot at Fruita Fat Tire Fest. Any side bets on whether or not I have a new Turner by June? Thanks to everyone for your insight and dry trails are right around the corner in Colorado.

Members who have read this thread: 0