Thread: Turner Forum

mtbr member

Turner Forum

Turner Forum-2438cca1-8cdf-4754-b3c2-b392bfaebee3.jpg
    Not that long ago the Turner forum was the most crowded forum on all of mtbr. Even Dave would stop by to chime in. Where is everybody? YouTube? Other brands? At least there are still more people visiting here then Ventana.

mtbr member
    Hopefully out riding and doing stupid stuff on their great bikes!

Turner Forum-vlcsnap-2018-08-26-14h47m16s690.jpg
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It will all change when the new Sultan is released sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Sultan, king khan and dhr shipping soon!

Weapon of Choice
    We riding our bikes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Forum-fullsizeoutput_c6f.jpg  

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    I am surprised there are that many people here. The product lines have become prettty stagnant (though good, donít get me wrong).

I know not that long ago the majority of people wanted there new frames to be carbon which costs a ton of money to get molds made for, etc. with the cost of entry on new models I can see why DT doesnít bring new models out every other year.

That said I I think an updated aluminum Sultan would not cost as much to produce? Aluminum has had a resurgence with companies doing quite well producing and selling aluminum frames at a decent price point. Me, I am done with carbon for a while.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    3 new frames? King Khan was short lived but ahead of its time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    That said I I think an updated aluminum Sultan would not cost as much to produce? Aluminum has had a resurgence with companies doing quite well producing and selling aluminum frames at a decent price point. Me, I am done with carbon for a while.
    What turned you away from carbon?

mtbr member
    A swing arm crack which looked like it was caused by a rock impact. I never crashed, didnít happen during transport either. I still for the life of me have no clue how it happened. Also had a roadbike frame get damaged from a piece of lumber falling on it in the garage. Both frames were pretty lightweight layups.

None of the above issues were warrantee items but probably would not have happened if the frames were metal. My roadbike is now Ti and my next MTB (Knolly Fugitive, hopefully here soon) is aluminum.

To me the weight penalty and cheaper price on aluminum frames is worth not having to worry about something happening.

I also noticed some carbon frames are getting a little heavier, probably to fend off warrantee issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I like most are out riding. Just got back from a bike fest in VT. And I'm planning a long weekend getaway to Harrisonburg VA. I'm still riding and enjoying my 2015 aluminum Flux 27.5. I've ridden both aluminum and carbon, and have no preference. Both have their benefits. Maybe my next bike will be aluminum, whenever that will be is anyone's guess.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    A swing arm crack which looked like it was caused by a rock impact. I never crashed, didnít happen during transport either. I still for the life of me have no clue how it happened. Also had a roadbike frame get damaged from a piece of lumber falling on it in the garage. Both frames were pretty lightweight layups.

None of the above issues were warrantee items but probably would not have happened if the frames were metal. My roadbike is now Ti and my next MTB (Knolly Fugitive, hopefully here soon) is aluminum.

To me the weight penalty and cheaper price on aluminum frames is worth not having to worry about something happening.

I also noticed some carbon frames are getting a little heavier, probably to fend off warrantee issues.
    Lots of small damage on carbon can be repaired (https://calfeedesign.com) - something that is not as easy as with an aluminum bike.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Not trying to devolve into yet another a carbon vs aluminum discussion, but I do prefer the feel of aluminum. I sense more of the trail through an aluminum frame, not it a harsh uncomfortable way, but with more clarity. I like feeling the way my tires interact with the terrain and using that feedback to determine how fast to corner, how the rear wheel will kick out, how to weight the bike for a loose climb, how far to lean, or how much grip the tread might give on roots in the wet. Carbon makes the terrain feel somehow vague. Riding aluminum is like listening to your favorite song on a really good set of headphones. Itís still fun to hear even on the crappy apple headsets that come free with an iPhone, but itís even more enjoyable when you can hear all the notes with higher fidelity. Maybe itís just what Iím use to.

mtbr member
    In aluminum!

Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post