Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    13

    Turner Customer Service

    Just wanted to drop a line about a good customer service experience with Turner...

    Tragically, my 2014 Burner frame, L, anodized orange, cracked on the top tube near but before the welding where the top and head tube meet. It's a mystery as far as I can tell, based on lots of research and consulting with mechanics. I rode it a lot and am fairly experienced, but nothing crazy. Can't think of a single instance where you'd expect a frame crack.

    In any case, though technically out of warranty, Turner generously discounted a RFX frame for me. With some tweaking of my components, I'm now riding again. Even though I was attached to the Burner, hard to deny that the RFX is a suitable replacement.

    Thanks to the guys at Turner.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmtb View Post
    Just wanted to drop a line about a good customer service experience with Turner...

    Tragically, my 2014 Burner frame, L, anodized orange, cracked on the top tube near but before the welding where the top and head tube meet. It's a mystery as far as I can tell, based on lots of research and consulting with mechanics. I rode it a lot and am fairly experienced, but nothing crazy. Can't think of a single instance where you'd expect a frame crack.

    In any case, though technically out of warranty, Turner generously discounted a RFX frame for me. With some tweaking of my components, I'm now riding again. Even though I was attached to the Burner, hard to deny that the RFX is a suitable replacement.

    Thanks to the guys at Turner.
    nice first post...Its like we know each other or something...

    Name:  crack2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  156.4 KB
    Yes, I will second that....Thanks for the great customer service Turner!!

    Turner Customer Service-27774978083_75c2e2aa90_o.jpg
    RFX'ing !!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    nice first post...Its like we know each other or something...

    Name:  crack2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  156.4 KB
    Yes, I will second that....Thanks for the great customer service Turner!!
    Man, should have done more digging here. That's precisely where mine was.

    Any insight?

    In hindsight, my bike did seem a bit creaky towards the handlebar area - a problem which I tried to remedy over and over, but nothing helped. Got used to it in the end.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    644
    I had no warnings or creaks ...but, I do know the exact ride it happened on because I washed/cleaned inspected my bike before the ride and after the ride when loading the bike onto the rack I noticed a line on the top tube, at first I thought it was a piece of wet grass stuck to the frame but then looking closer it was a crack!!

    I had no major crashes or anything that I can think of that would've cracked the frame like that...my guess is that it must of fatigued over time and it must of started at the weld and propagated out...at some point during that ride the frame must've reached the tipping point of failure and the crack developed. Just thankful I noticed it right away and it didn't snap on something with major consequence.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    13
    Sucks. Yeah, I was washing my bike too when I discovered it and think I can narrow it down to late August this year. Thankful too that I didn't keep riding unaware because that's a pretty bad spot for it happen - some folks, when asked if I could continue riding, suggested I could be impaled.

    Anyways - guess it was just frame fatigue. In any case, with aluminum, frame failure can be an issue. The key is how the company treats you. Can't complain on that front.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmtb View Post
    ...The key is how the company treats you. Can't complain on that front.

    ^yep exactly. IME Turner has been top notch, no BS. I had a new RFX frame in my hands within 5 days of shipping my frame in.

    Most other companies wouldn't had even of responded back yet, if at all.

  7. #7
    SMR
    SMR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    276
    [QUOTE=Greenmtb;12914820]Just wanted to drop a line about a good customer service experience with Turner...

    Tragically, my 2014 Burner frame, L, anodized orange, cracked on the top tube near but before the welding where the top and head tube meet. It's a mystery as far as I can tell, based on lots of research and consulting with mechanics. I rode it a lot and am fairly experienced, but nothing crazy. Can't think of a single instance where you'd expect a frame crack.

    My Titus Loco Moto cracked in the same place. Titus sent me a new redesigned front triangle. I hope this isn't why the front triangle was redesigned the last year the Burner was available. I want to keep riding my Burner for many more years.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    13

    We the people ...

    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    My Titus Loco Moto cracked in the same place. Titus sent me a new redesigned front triangle. I hope this isn't why the front triangle was redesigned the last year the Burner was available. I want to keep riding my Burner for many more years.
    I asked and the guys at Turner don't seem to think it's some sort of manufacturing and/or design flaw. Of course, you never know since the Burner was re-introduced just a couple of years ago. If the problem manifests itself after a few years of use (like mine), you'd only now be seeing the problem pop up. It is somewhat interesting that Dmar and I had the exact same issue in the exact same spot. Here's the crack in my Burner frame (almost identical to Dmar's):

    Turner Customer Service-burner-crack.jpg

    Of course, it's easy to piece together a problem that doesn't exist. I suppose if the same issue keeps popping up, they may have to re-evaluate.

    But, at the end of the day, the consensus I'm getting is that with aluminum, you can have people pound on the frame for decades and have no cracks or have it crack in just a few years - lots of variables that can explain it. I'm happy with how Turner handled it - though I did love my Burner. Here's to many years of riding yours.

  9. #9
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,303
    That's where my original Loco Moto cracked. It was also replaced with whole redesigned frame. Gotta feeling that that new RFX is going to make those bad feelings disappear.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Similar Threads

  1. Turner Warranty customer service?
    By Octane in forum Turner
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-05-2015, 07:30 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
  3. Turner = AMAZING Customer Service
    By iheartbicycles in forum Turner
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
  4. Props to Turner, great customer service!
    By climr in forum Turner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
  5. Outstanding Customer Service from Turner
    By Digger90 in forum Turner
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 03:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.