Which Turner to buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Which Turner to buy?

Just wondering what Homers think...I have been through every single thread on the Turner forum (I don't allow myself to read any news or related tra$h):
    1) if one owned a Santa Cruz Nomad and a Turner Sultan and had room for one more bike, which Turner would one get?

2) if a bike should be fitted with, say, 100mm to 130mm of travel, is there anything wrong with getting a Fox 36 (100/130/160) and just never using the max travel? Please ignore the 0.5lbs to 1.0lbs of additional weight the Fox 36 would bring over say, a Fox 32.

Thank you!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    id hit up a flux or a dhr given those options.

neither will like a 36 but a rfx sure would! good excuse to sell the nomad too.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    ... good excuse to sell the nomad too.
    My thoughts exactly!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you, CC. If you would be kind enough:
    1) please keep the fork question separate from the bike question...I prolly should have asked the 2 questions in different forums.

2) I love the Nomad and would like to keep it - yes, I think the curved top tube looks very pretty - what else matters any way (besides looking pretty :-)). Even if I did want to sell the Nomad (horrors), FleaBay sucks up too much in transaction costs.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Gee, DirtBuddha, how about being a bit more constructive? Sigh...I had a feeling this could turn into a bash Nomad session.

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Wow...

... guess the rec...depression hasn't hit yet. If you need another bike, I'd make it a commuter.
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

the turner boys are a bit pointed and goofy. youll need a thicker skin to play in here. the deal is not all turner fans are nomad fans for a few diff reasons, mostly cuz ya drove yer mustang into a vette show. did i mention a thicker skin yet? just weed through the fodder in here as theres a ton of it, much from yers truly.

as far as keepin answers sepperate, yer askin what frame would compliment yer current wicker of bikes best and if a 36 would work on it. the answer to the frame part, i gave, at least its my opinion. in the next paragragh i offered up the opinion that yer pet 36 would suck on either choice i gave. dont know what else i could do.

by the way, my 36 float rc2/rfx combo is a blast! a 36 talus would also go very well with yer nomad.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you, CC! No offense taken at anything said here so far. Was being a bit pointy in my own reply. Though I am unable to understand what TedRoy said - am a bit slow, in case can't tell.

hes from the pacific northwest, thats his excuse. im from iowa so i have no excuse. im just a moron.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    figured it out...guess the (economic) recession/depressesion hasn't hit yet. I guess so, TedRoy...I'm just emptying all my change jars and spending $ on bikes...trying to keep the economy afloat single handedly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Iowa...hence the corn, I presume? Maybe I'll figure out the cactus some day. I miss the smell of summer in the midwest...especially the corn fields...or maybe I just miss being young (in the midwest).

moved here from arizona in '03. came up with that name shortly thereafter and now its too late to do anything about it. as for the smell, yer not missin much now that the ethanol plants are here.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i moved to AZ in 2003. Nothing but pine forest around here...awesome trails. My mom's in the desert though...so can enjoy both. Say, anybody know where I can (look) into buying a CCDB? A froogle search only yielded two places, one of which looks squirrely (sp?). Time to empty more change jars....

banned
    If you get a new RFX for that 36, you can also order it up with a CCDB for an additional charge. Don't know what it adds up to in total with the big sale, but likely that will soak up a lot of the upgrade price.

As far as what fits in the stable, a Flux would be the bet.

There was also a recent and informative thread posted by myitch about the comparison between the RFX and the Nomad. I suggest you check it out because it could be right up your alley.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestHorse
    1) if one owned a Santa Cruz Nomad and a Turner Sultan and had room for one more bike, which Turner would one get?

2) if a bike should be fitted with, say, 100mm to 130mm of travel, is there anything wrong with getting a Fox 36 (100/130/160) and just never using the max travel? Please ignore the 0.5lbs to 1.0lbs of additional weight the Fox 36 would bring over say, a Fox 32.
    1. Probably a Highline or DHR, providing you have some place to ride it.

2. No problem, though I would always be looking for an excuse to run the max travel, as the 36 really performs best at full extension. It is not bad at 130mm; just better at 160.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    1. Probably a Highline or DHR, providing you have some place to ride it.

2. No problem, though I would always be looking for an excuse to run the max travel, as the 36 really performs best at full extension. It is not bad at 130mm; just better at 160.
    Useless at 100mm.

The thing about the TALAS is that in theory, it should feel the same as 160 as it does at 130 and 100, in terms of preload and all that stuff. For the most part, it does. The problem is that the lower you go, the more hard bottom out you'll get. You still need to add more air, even though your sag is correct because it's too linear. Can also be resolved by adding more air to the IFP internally and making a more progressive spring curve. For those running 130, I recommend experimenting with IFP pressures starting at 5-10psi above Fox's recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Flux would be my choice, oh wait a minute I've done that one already

As for the fork why not look at the new RS 09 models if you want some extra beef, I'm pretty sure both the Reba and Revelation come in maxle light 20mm versions should be waay stiff enough for a Flux...
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If you get a new RFX for that 36, you can also order it up with a CCDB for an additional charge. Don't know what it adds up to in total with the big sale, but likely that will soak up a lot of the upgrade price.

As far as what fits in the stable, a Flux would be the bet.

There was also a recent and informative thread posted by myitch about the comparison between the RFX and the Nomad. I suggest you check it out because it could be right up your alley.
    When I had priced this spring the CCDB adds $450 and it's $650 if you want both shocks.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Singlespeed 29"er or road bike; slap some Turner stickers on them from JNC.

banned
    Sep 2005
    No bashing here. CC transcribed my exact thought as I was reading your post. RFX with CCDB would be the next evolution, 09 possibly? I see the Nomad/Sultan as having too much overlap, at least for the trails around here. I pretty much do everything on my RFX, but in order to accomodate some of the punishment of the occasional FR/DH thing, its sitting pretty close to 38.5 lbs. This is why I am in the market for an older 5spot or if the price is right, the newer 5.5 as I can experiment with geo's between the two.

So yeah, the Nomad can be a good Trail/FR bike, leaning more towards the trail side of things ( my buddy has one ), but I don't think that it would stand its own against an RFX. Maybe, just maybe, the 07-08 iterations Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0