Turner Bushings- Mtbr.com

Thread: Turner Bushings

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status

Turner Bushings

I have owned my 5 Spot going on 3 years now and have had no issues. My question is realistically how often does the bushing need to be replaced? Everything seems ok however I feel like some of the zerks don't take any grease however, some take a lot. I'm just concerned I'm not taken proper care of my Spot. Is it possible some grease and dirt can mix and cause problems? I'm neurotic by nature so I just want to be sure.

Lay off the Levers
    Tscheezy could give you the total 411 but in short:

If you haven't been able to get any grease into your dropout pivots in a long time, just unbolt them, push the shafts out by and grease them by hand. It'll be sufficent to last you quite a long time. 6mo to a year unless you ride a ton or in some pretty extreme conditions.

Until recently most of the dropout pivots were difficult to grease via the zerks. The good news is they required very, very little grease and would easily last several years under most riding conditions. The other larger pivots generally take grease only if they need it.

More recent pivot hardware does make greasing the dropout pivots a bit easier.(cheezy link implemented) They now have a groove to allow the grease to flow through them better, similar to what's on the main pivot shafts. Also the newer rubber seals permit grease to purge ever-so-slightly during the greasing process. The older ones only purged over time, with use.

In either case, you really don't have to worry about dirt mixing with your grease because the grease is always pushing it's way out so no dirt can get in.

If one of your three main pivots won't ever take grease, this is something you may need to look into further. Possibly taking one apart just to make sure.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Agree w/ BZ. Sometimes there is some chalky stuff in dry privots that prevent grease flow. Taking them apart and wiping them down, greasing them and reassembling can get stuff unconstipated, so to speak. Check the link in my signature for instructions.

I generally like to open the pivots every year or two and just look to see how things are going. At this point I often rotate the shafts between different pivots sort of like rotating the tires on your car, to even out the wear. The pivot near the bottom bracket is the most susceptible to wear. That is the only one I ever need to replace.

The service life of the pivots totally depends on the rider and his local conditions. My bb pivot lasts 18 months. I ride a lot, all year, and it's generally very wet here. I weigh 180#. My GF rides almost as much, in the same conditions, but her pivots last indefinitely as she is only 130#.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I weigh 180#. My GF rides almost as much, in the same conditions, but her pivots last indefinitely as she is only 130#.
    Tscheez - you haven't learned yet have you? when dealing with the fairer sex it's imperative to rephrase that last line as follows - "I weigh 180#. My GF rides almost as much, in the same conditions, but her pivots last indefinitely as she is much much lighter than I am and rides with way more finesse and precision. Just trying to help you out here
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    and dont forget how excessivly better lookin she is than you. and me, and him but mostly them. pivots just last longer under pretty people. its true.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Can Tree Member
    And here I was thinking that they lasted longer if you shaved your legs.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

involuntary dismounter
    wait...you mean you all don't shave your legs?

don't you know it makes you go faster?? not to mention what it does to lycras ability to CLING!!

and just to confirm what cc said...all bike parts last longer when used by people who are pretty!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    and just to confirm what cc said...all bike parts last longer when used by people who are pretty!
    ...mine must have been shot within the first week then......
    ...every day sends future to past...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    my parts longevity was grandfathered in. otherwise id never be able to afford this sport.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

If bushings are so great, why needel bearings on DHR?

I agree the Turner bushings are super, I have ridden my 5-Spot for 600h+ in some harsh conditions and it just keeps going (except for the HL-pivot but I did the groovy Alaskan tweak there).

But why are there needle bearings on the DHR and Highline instead of the bushing found on the rest of the fleet?

Edit: Turner bushings, not just generic bushings - I've had some bad experience in the past.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Trail Rider

Just a guess...

Quote Originally Posted by theTnT
    I agree the Turner bushings are super, I have ridden my 5-Spot for 600h+ in some harsh conditions and it just keeps going (except for the HL-pivot but I did the groovy Alaskan tweak there).

But why are there needle bearings on the DHR and Highline instead of the bushing found on the rest of the fleet?

Edit: Turner bushings, not just generic bushings - I've had some bad experience in the past.
    The choice of bearings or bushings in a particular application has a lot to do with weight restrictions,economics,ease of maintenance, the magnitude of load for the bearing, and the design of the pivot itself. Needle roller bearings handle radial loads excellent. They are not good for combined or axial loads. If you notice the design of the main pivot in the DHR, the rear end is captured within the front end. I'm guessing there is some sort of bushing between the two parts(I don't know that for sure). Since the design of the DHR is not restricted by weight as much as the Spot,Flux, and Pack, the pivot itself can be designed to be stronger and handle the loads in all directions. The parts can be made heavier and more durable. The rigors of DH racing is handled better by a needle roller bearing, over a plastic bushing. Also, the amount of rebuilding pivots due to stress of DH racing is cut down. Now the Highline is not captured like the DHR. I'm guessing the design of the pivot is enough to handle the combined loads. Check out this site out. http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...&newlink=1_0_1
    Don

Lay off the Levers
    That's a great link Quattro, tnx.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    my parts longevity was grandfathered in. otherwise id never be able to afford this sport.
    Uh...do you want to reconsider that statement?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Uh...do you want to reconsider that statement?
    ok...i was going to go there...but then stopped myself...thinking maybe it was a low blow...but now that you mention it...

cc - you better check the fine print on that agreement...it sure does appear to have expired!

and i would just like to mention, for the record, that DMW brought it up...not me!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Can Tree Member
    Hey, I felt terrible for C-corn too. It was just begging to be said. And fools rush in...what was the rest of that saying?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Members who have read this thread: 0