Turner burner owners- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Apr 2004

Turner burner owners

Anyone running a 80mm fork on an 04 Burner? Any idea what that'll do to the head and seat angle, I'm looking to upgrade to a dually but want an XC machine and have been ogleing the 04 Burner with the Fox RL @ Superblo for 949.00

banned
    Apr 2004

Thanks S3

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Well, since the bike was designed around a 100 mm fork, I think the 80 would drop the front end quite low and also make it too nervous and twitchy on turns.

Honestly, I think and 80 mm fork would waste some of the Burner's capability, especially since there are many 100mm forks out there that are comparable in weight to 80 mm versions.

Additionally, give Ventanarama Larry at Mountain High a call. He might be able to fix you up with a Burner. I don't want to say much, but it's worth the call, trust me.

Here's his contact info:

http://mtnhighcyclery.com/mhc5.htm
    for bursting my Turner bubble, I really need (want) an XC dually but it needs to be a great climbing bike because it will be my everyday bike and at this time my down hill abilities exceed my uphill abilities. Thanks again for the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well, if you had something w/ adjustable travel....

The Burner HA is 70 deg, which is a bit slack compared to a lot of XC bikes. I see a few options:

1) Get an adjustable fork like a Talas/Duke/Psylo or Manitou (not sure what type). If you dialed it to 85-90 MM you would probably have a 71 or so HA which would be quick, but not out of the ordinary for XC usage.

2) I've heard that some of the Fox Terralogic/Manitou SPV shocks tend to ride higher in their travel. If this is the case, a 80mm fork on the Burner might not make it too twitchy.

Are you worried that the 4" fork would hinder climbing too much? I have an XCE and my wife has a Burner and we both find them to be very capable climbers.

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Anyone running a 80mm fork on an 04 Burner? Any idea what that'll do to the head and seat angle, I'm looking to upgrade to a dually but want an XC machine and have been ogleing the 04 Burner with the Fox RL @ Superblo for 949.00
    Yeah I run a Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80 on my Burner with stiff springs and 10wt oil, (I weigh 190lbs). It doesn't make it twitchy or squirrelly but I changed my stem to a 120mm 15 degree to get to set up right. That being said, it wants a longer travel fork because the rear is so damn smooth. In other words, the goemetry is fine and the bike is very quick, but the rear feels more like 5" which makes 80mm of travel in the front sometimes seem to short. I don't have a problem with it though at all and the bike is still awesome and it climbs like a goat.

Don't get the Fox RL. The Manitou Swinger 3 way is better, but that's a whole nother story. The SPV in the Manitou makes the Fox eat dust and it freakin works. I'll prolly get a Talas fork up front here in a bit though. Very happy with the Burner.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    ...I no longer use my ETA since I put it on my Burner. I used it all the time on my Tomac. I had to. I tried using my ETA on my Burner a few times and it really doesn't do all that much...That is one of the major things I hear from Turner owners. The climbs are amazing.
    It must beTurner thing. I have the same experience on my 'Spot. I use the MXComp ETA on my on my Hardtail all the time. I never use it on the Z1 on my Spot. DT really knows how to balance a bike.

Forget the 80mm fork I'll only hold you back. It'll decrease the stability, feel nervous and lag behind the hit control ability of the rear.

My two cents.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 06-06-2004 at 09:34 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    I am running a Talus RLC on my Burner. I have cranked it down to 85 for long climbs and ran it at 125 for long decents or riding the lifts, but I normally just leave it a 100. Seems to work for me. I have been running a Pushed Fox AVA that I really like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise
    Don't get the Fox RL. The Manitou Swinger 3 way is better, but that's a whole nother story. The SPV in the Manitou makes the Fox eat dust and it freakin works. I'll prolly get a Talas fork up front here in a bit though. Very happy with the Burner.
    Ditto that. I'm really digging the Swinger.

Right now, I've got a Psylo on my Burner. Don't ask why - I had one from a previous bike. I've found that running the fork at 100-110mm works well for nearly every situation - even climbing. On my hardtail, i used to crank it down to 80 for climbs - but now I don't really touch it. In fact, the rear suspension feels much smoother/plusher than the fork does at 100mm. I've run the fork at 125mm on downhills, but except for a few technical sections, never really felt a great benefit.

When I find the bag of money I've been looking for, I'll go with a Zoke Marathon 105mm or a Fox Float 100 RLC. IMO, running an 80 mm fork would be unfortunate - it'd feel like a rigid fork compared to the rear suspension.

The bike is all smiles, though. Good luck.