Turner brothers.. Advice for my build- Mtbr.com
    jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007

Turner brothers.. Advice for my build

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me on this build, such as any bone headed mistakes I might have made with my component selection. I'm building an 08 5 spot up for trail and light all mountain duties. I'm trying to build it up to be light yet sturdy if there is such a thing. The only things not shown here are that I'm going to be using a cane creek 110 headseat and I9 4.2 Enduro wheels.

08 Churner 5Spot.

No, that's not phonetic
    Looks great!

That stem is pretty long, and XTR cassettes are terribly expensive for what you get, but if you have the cheddar and have thought out the cockpit sizing, I say go for it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Pivoteer
    Nice looking build. I would suggest an XT or XTR front derailleur. I have an X9 on my Sultan, and the new XT on my Highline. The XT is far better than the X9. It shifts fantastic, and the cage is much better.

My only other suggestion is to look hard at the I9 wheels. I have a set on my Highline, and the rear hub has some play that I cannot get out with the bearing preload. The hubs are not sealed well at all. I bought the wheels used, but they looked new and I doubt they had much time on them. I would look at Kings, they are sealed better, have much better bearings, a more effective preload, and they have been proven to last. Another issue with the I9's I have had is a few spokes have worked loose during rides.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    I had not really put that much thought into it.. I demo'd a 5 spot from CC and it had a 110mm stem, and the bike I'm coming off has a 100mm stem and both seem pretty comfortable, but again I wouldn't know the difference because I haven't really experimented.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I would shy away from carbon handlebars.

I might go with a long cage deraileur, but YMMV.

Lots of other nice choices you have there. Looks like you will have a VERY nice bike...

bobo

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Nice looking build. I would suggest an XT or XTR front derailleur. I have an X9 on my Sultan, and the new XT on my Highline. The XT is far better than the X9. It shifts fantastic, and the cage is much better.

My only other suggestion is to look hard at the I9 wheels. I have a set on my Highline, and the rear hub has some play that I cannot get out with the bearing preload. The hubs are not sealed well at all. I bought the wheels used, but they looked new and I doubt they had much time on them. I would look at Kings, they are sealed better, have much better bearings, a more effective preload, and they have been proven to last. Another issue with the I9's I have had is a few spokes have worked loose during rides.
    I have no experience with the I-9 wheels, but I LOVE my wheels built by Dave's Speeddreams and a King wheelset was cheaper than the I-9s.....

bobo

Moosehead

top shelf rig

given that virtually everything you're hanging on the best bike of all time is top shelf, i'd suggest going with same top quality headset in king or check out the new crank bros headset. ditto on earlier suggestions to consider wheelset with king, dt, hadley, etc and second the no carbon bars for peace of mind. looks like the best you can build, should be killer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    given that virtually everything you're hanging on the best bike of all time is top shelf, i'd suggest going with same top quality headset in king or check out the new crank bros headset. ditto on earlier suggestions to consider wheelset with king, dt, hadley, etc and second the no carbon bars for peace of mind. looks like the best you can build, should be killer.
    The Cane Creek 110 is top shelf all the way. Superior to the King if you ask me.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im gonna pretty much echo the others here:

xtr f der. never was pleased with any of my sram units.
    990 cassette or a xt. longer life, on par performance or close enough without a 2nd mortgage.
    180/160 may be a bit much dependin on rider weight and trail intent for a spot, may not be too.
    hollow pin chains blow. low life span. do a standard 991.
    baware the soft shimano rings otherwise the cranks kick ass. use em up and replace with rf or bs.
    long cage, long cage, long cage on a triple xc bike.

nuthin wrong with the carbon bar unless yer a crashohaulic, the 110 is said to rock and i-9's are sweet but kings may be a better value in the end. and im a long stem guy too so youll get no guff from me there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    I wasn't totally sold on the I9s anyway, so that's good news. I'll probably go with Mavic wheels and king hubs in that case.

Can I use an XTR front derailluer with the SRAM trigger shifters?
    08 Churner 5Spot.

yep. same cable pull ratio.

if ya go king, consider keepin the dt hoops.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm not going to address personal preference for shifters/derailers, but I would suggest the shimano CN7701 chain, it's about the same weight as the hollowpin, $20 cheaper, shimano's top of the line chain, and ultra-strong. I've broken 3-4 freehubs in the time period that I've been using these chains, you can either use the special shimano "joiner" pin, or put sram quick link on it. The thing is that all of the new generation shimano chains have "mushroom" shaped pins, and it keeps the link plates from sliding off. I've broken lots of chains, lots of old generation shimano chains, a few sram chains (but they were an improvement), and now with these new generation shimano ones I haven't broken any. The finish on the CN7701 doesn't seem to attract dirt excessively as well.

Also, I don't know how wide that handlebar is, but consider the Gravity carbon DH bar, it's 710mm wide, a great bar for such a bike.

I also recommend the XT cassette. They are pretty light, but damn durable.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Unless you are racing and looking to save every ounce, I would stick to X9 or XT level components - I have tried them all and IMO you get pretty much the same thing but at almost half the price - shifters, derailleurs, crank, cassette. Ditch the hollow pin chain, try the cross step. Brakes - K24s should be plenty. With puros you get some bling and save a few ounces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No carbon bars. Ditch the I9 wheels.

banned
    I now shy away from SRAM chains. Used to break them a lot, but now I switched to KMC and haven't broken a single one. Ten USD cheaper for the z9000 and they last longer. SRAM chains used to be great, but the redesign seems to have made them weaker and wear less.

Used to bend cogs on every cassette until I got the new Red 990. Awesome cassette.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 07-31-2008 at 02:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I now shy away from SRAM chains. Used to break them a lot, but now I switched to KMC and haven't broken a single one. Ten USD cheaper for the z9000 and they last longer. SRAM chains used to be great, but the redesign seems to have made them weaker and wear less.

Used to bend cogs on every cassette until I got the new Red 990. Awesome cassette.
    Bending cogs and breaking chains? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

not so super...
    990 cassette
    991 cross step chain
    XTR front dérailleur

I'm about to order my 3rd set of I9 wheels (3 bikes). I've had no issues over the last 2+ years.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Aluminum fatigues much differently compared to steel. I'm curious to see how the al. spokes will hold up after 5 years or so.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Looks pretty decent, If running a triple, def do an XTR front der over XT or X.9. X9 is fine for doubles, but blows on triples. I'd do the Gravity carbons as well, I have a set on the RFX and love em. XT or 990 Cassette.

If running a triple you might need a long cage der in the rear, but I haven't done the math so can't say for sure.

If you go CK, do the DTs like CC said. You might also consider Hadley if you want a rear 10mm TA, though I hear the funn bolts work great.

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Is there a reason to stick with DT rims on CK hubs or is it purely a personal preference? I like the UST e-zness of Mavics..
    08 Churner 5Spot.

bicycle rider

We the people ...

This bike rewards fast, aggressive riding. Putting weight-weenie wheels and hardware on it might make you sad if you ride like that and break them, or wish you could push it harder. Just a thought.

I have a similar but burlier build on my 5.Spot, and I don't think you'll go wrong. I have the Cane Creek 110 headset on my Flux and it does seem to be as good as a Chris King headset. You don't say how tall you are or how big the bike is, but on my 5.Spot, a 110mm stem was perfect. I have a cross-country light bike in the Flux, so I built the 5.Spot more for fun. It's a great bike with a chain guard and a gravitydropper seatpost and some really burly tires. (I'm really digging the Schwalbe Fat Albert UST 2.35 tires with the Snakeskin casing.) I'm sure it would be a fun cross-country bike, and I've done some 7-hour rides on mine. I love the Ergon grips.

I have cf bars on my Flux but really-wide al bars on the 5.Spot. Just wanted that extra bit of confidence and there's more chance I'll rag-doll on the 5.Spot than the Flux. Once you whack a cf bar hard enough you'll never trust it.

Morgan

other than both bein solid stuff, its purely personal but so far im a tube guy. oh yeah, dt spokes and alloy nipples. you can run comps on both sides if yer a lightweight, supercomps on the rotor side isnt all bad or full supercomps if yer hittin 2 bills or more.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA

I'm about to order my 3rd set of I9 wheels (3 bikes). I've had no issues over the last 2+ years.
    I spoke to I9 this morning, they gave me a few tips to try on my rear hub, and they are also sending out new bearings just in case.

Being a King man, I will say there are some very good points the I9. The bearings are very smooth (the play in the rear hub is very minor, and not noticable on the bike, but enough to bother me) and roll forever. Riding with others on Kings, when we hit the pavement I can out coast them, significantly. Never thought this was possible, but it is. The wheels are super stiff, and track very well.

They are very easy to service and certainly are the best looking wheels. Replacing spokes, though pricey at about $6 per spoke is much easier than a standard wheel.

Oh yeah, customer service is top notch. Very easy to get someone on the phone or email

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Is this the correct Shimano front DER ? The wording on the turner faq has me confused..

XTR Front Derailleur - Traditional FD-M971
    08 Churner 5Spot.

I'd take a look at the new Fox Forks with the 15mm thru axle. They have a 150mm model that is supposedly 4.6lbs.

TLL
    mtbr member
    The Pike is THE fork for Spot. Personally, I'd go coil. Hsll, you could toss a 36 on it.

I agree with Morgan's comments, If you don't want to go CF then look at a stoopid wide Sunline bar.

Pivoteer
    FYI, the soluton posed to me by I9 to resolve the slop in the rear wheel worked flawlessly. I am a happy camper right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jdk
    Is this the correct Shimano front DER ? The wording on the turner faq has me confused..

XTR Front Derailleur - Traditional FD-M971
    thats the ticket! dig it!
    No, I'm NOT back!

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Well, I did it. I switched to XT cranks because I couldn't really justify the extra $$ for 0.2 lbs of weight savings, and I went to an XTR front der and a long cage X0 rear, and a SRAM cassette. I ended up going with CK hubs and Mavic wheels. I'll post up some pics when I get it built. Thanks for all of the advice folks!
    08 Churner 5Spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, I did it. I switched to XT cranks because I couldn't really justify the extra $$ for 0.2 lbs of weight savings, and I went to an XTR front der and a long cage X0 rear, and a SRAM cassette. I ended up going with CK hubs and Mavic wheels. I'll post up some pics when I get it built. Thanks for all of the advice folks!
    I am super late to the party, but my only input would have been to look at some of the $$/weight ratios on some parts (XTR cranks, cassette). Top top shelf MTB parts really get into the diminishing returns area.....

Should prove to be a very fun trail-mobile. Have Fun!

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Well, everything is slowly starting to roll in. Here is what I have so far: Frame, Pike 454 air uturn, Cane Creek 110. Everything else should come in some time next week.

08 Churner 5Spot.

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    The bike:

me:

I'll get some better pics in the next couple of days.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    It came in at 29.009 lbs BTW, even with the Pike and the Kenda Nevegals.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

sweet! congrats. now clean up those cables and give us a ride report.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    looks good!

mtbr member
    Looks great! I'm lusting even more!

I'm allways surprised by the low weight on such tuff bikes.

My first turner build starts this Thursday or Friday! Waiting on one last part.
    Yes, I'll be calling off work for a few days fore sure.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    So, can you give us a final detailed spec?

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Sure thing.

Frame: 08 5 spot Large
    Fork: Pike 454 Air U-Turn
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Brakes: Formula Oro Puro, 180 mm front 160 mm rear
    Cranks: Shimano XT, 175mm
    Rear Cassette: SRAM PG990
    Chain: SRAM PG991 Hollow pin
    Front der: Shimano XTR
    Rear der: SRAM X.0 Long Cage
    Shifters: SRAM X.0 Trigger
    Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer bar
    Grips: Ergon GP1
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm 10mm rise
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Masterpiece 330mm
    Rear Skewer: DT Swiss RWS QUICK RELEASE

Wheels: Mavic XM 819 DISC UST
    Hubs: Chris King, 20mm thru front
    Spokes: DT Swiss COMPETITION 14/15G
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal UST 2.1

Total Weight: 29.09 LBS

I'm really glad you guys swayed me to the Chris Kings, Other than the frame the hubs are tied with the Puros for best upgrade over my old bike.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

nice work! but hows it ride?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Specs table..

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me on this build, such as any bone headed mistakes I might have made with my component selection. I'm building an 08 5 spot up for trail and light all mountain duties. I'm trying to build it up to be light yet sturdy if there is such a thing. The only things not shown here are that I'm going to be using a cane creek 110 headseat and I9 4.2 Enduro wheels.

Out of topic but where did you get your specs table from? can i get one too?

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrate
    Out of topic but where did you get your specs table from? can i get one too?
    It's actually just a screenshot of CC's build kit calculator:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...AGE=BUY_GRUPPO

08 Churner 5Spot.

Members who have read this thread: 0