Turner 5 Spot (DW) clunking noise.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Turner 5 Spot (DW) clunking noise.

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, but I have been told if I need to know anything about my bikes, this is the place to be! So hi everyone!

I bought a Turner 5 Spot around 2 months ago and have been really pleased with it. Only thing that bothers me from time to time is a strange 'clunking' noise from the rear end - it happens on average once or twice an hour.... As it happens so infrequently, I can't look at the bike as its doing it as it happens so randomly.

I've had it to the bike shop I bought it from, but the bike wont do it! Everything has been checked over and seems fine, everything is tight, greased, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this clunking noise? Its not a huge problem, just a bit strange. If its common I wont worry about it, but its always in the back of my mind wondering what it is.

Thanks,

Rob

mtbr member
    Could be the interface between the journal bearing and hex bolt. Turner have done a modification to the bearing by drilling a hole in it, allowing grease to get through. You can do it yourself or ask Turner to send you the modded version - you need to send your originals back though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ah right, I see what you mean. Thanks for the tip Dibbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There has beena further mod that eliminates the need for the grease hole in that a tighter tolerance is now specced. In any case, give turner a call.

mtbr member
    Details?

mtbr member

Could be the rear shock

I have a new 2010 dw spot that had the bottom bracket brace in the wrong position.I would get a clunk from the shock barrel hitting the new brace they use on the bottom bracket area. after a phone call to Turner, Dave had a new front triangle in the mail. problem solved.
    In the photo you can see the crescent mark on the brace from the contact. Turns out the brace was a miss weld out of the factory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner 5 Spot (DW) clunking noise.-img_0066.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

clunk

Is the clunk under pedaling technical stuff or getting full travel?

DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I only really get the clunk when pedalling through technical sections...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

contact

contact Greg@turnerbikes.com and explain the situation. Where did you buy the bike? did you contact them yet?

DT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've sent an email to Greg. Thank you Dave.

I bought the bike from a local shop in Brighton, England. The owner also has a 2009 5 spot and has experienced a similar clunking noise. It doesnt bother him, but I'm very particular about my bike's so want to get to the bottom of whats causing it.

Thanks for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0