mtbr member
    Jan 2004

TR - Comfortably Numb - some Whistler XC!

While I wasn't on the 6 Pack for this ride, there were two Norco Fluids there! Which are pretty close to a 5 - spot!

This is an epic xc ride just North of Whistler. This story is composed of pictures from two different times we did this trail. Summer of 04, and last May 28th.

Comfortably Numb

I'll throw in a 6 pack pic since this is a turner forum...

not that you can tell with the boring paint job... more photo's from this ride here:
    Pemberton

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Hey, this brings up a question I haven't had time to ask!
    I'm going to be in Whisler in a couple weeks. I ride a Spot and do some rough XC but I'm not doing major hucking/FR/DH. What do y'all recommend I hit? The Spot won't be making the trip so I'll be renting. I want to have a good time and live to tell about it!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Too Much Fun

Oh snap, you got me jonesing!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    This is an epic xc ride just North of Whistler. This story is composed of pictures from two different times we did this trail. Summer of 04, and last May 28th.
    Thanks for posting that. Sooooo DOPE.

Great pics. I needed a pick me up.

- -benja- -

~~~~~~~~
    so, are you sorry you didn't ride the 6pack?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    so, are you sorry you didn't ride the 6pack?
    I would have liked the stickier tires! But I sure didn't need the ~10 more pounds the Pack weighs over the Edge bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    Hey, this brings up a question I haven't had time to ask!
    I'm going to be in Whisler in a couple weeks. I ride a Spot and do some rough XC but I'm not doing major hucking/FR/DH. What do y'all recommend I hit? The Spot won't be making the trip so I'll be renting. I want to have a good time and live to tell about it!
    check out:
    http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/pages/maps.php

Flank Trail
    Flank Trail to Cheap Thrills
    Kill Me Thrill Me
    Comfortably Numb
    River Runs Through It - short technical
    Farside/Riverside - near Cheakamus River - fast, flowy
    Trainwreck/Trash - short, technical
    Lost Lake Trails - Tin Pot etc
    Babylon By Bike
    PHD/Tower or Power by Pemberton

that should keep you busy...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Thanks Brodiegrrl! I'll have a look. I don't have many worries about getting bored. It should be a fun trip.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In my travels for mtb, Comf Num is my favorite combo of long xc mixed with wicked fun technical. I first rode it shortly after the "new" section connecting the two existing trails was officially opened (can't remember the names of those two, maybe North Secret going up north of town, then another that takes you down into the far northern end of the village on the bike path).

We were set to ride it again for our departure ride two days later, but woke to driving rains. Haven't gotten back, but sure want to. I highly recommend it to anyone with what I would call high intermediate technical skills!
    Whining is not a strategy.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I rode it a couple of weeks ago and I took the RFX.
    I had no problems and the extra plush came in handy on the downhill sections.
    (Climbing with the big bike had some interesting moments......)
    I think a 5-spot would have been the perfect bike for the "Numb"

Can't wait to do it again ...........specially when the trail is a little drier and the roots not quite as slick

(Edit - Forgot ------> Great Pictures Lee and Sharon)

My 0.02 cents

K
    Last edited by Dawgprimo; 06-16-2006 at 11:14 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    (can't remember the names of those two, maybe North Secret going up north of town, then another that takes you down into the far northern end of the village on the bike path).
    That would be formerly secret trails north, now known as "young lust", and the descent down towards the village through the frisbee gold course is "fourplay".

I've ridden it 2-3 times, the first was the day before the trail offically opened. So it was soft and loamy which made the climbing even more difficult- I was on my RFX.

The second time, we were moments into the climb, doing a group sin-a-long of pink floyd's "comfortabley numb" (only it was "uncomfortable bum") when I took a bad line and endo'd! I guess I just wasn't paying attention, busy singing. split my lip and busted my front shifter- I was able to repair the shifter and go on with the ride.

I agree, pretty much my favorite XC epic. I prefer "cheap thrills" for XC technical fun. I'll be up the week prior to crankworks and I can't wait to hit both those rides!
    Last edited by FM; 06-15-2006 at 09:19 PM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Very nice pics brodiegirl, looks like some superb riding in the woods, one day I will make it up there

Just roll it......
    Sharon / Lee,

Great pics and writeup. While I love this trail, I do NOT recommend riding this trail on a 45 lb. downhill bike! 15 miles and 4k feet of climbing might not seem like much, but you've got to tack on a few miles of valley trail/road (paved) to get out there and the trail has virtually no "cruising" stretches. I was worked by the time we got to Lost Lake for a dip in the water. It's either technical up or technical down and there are a couple of false summits before you get to what was known as fourplay for the most technical descent of the ride.

Good stuff!
    EBX

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I've ridden it 2-3 times, the first was the day before the trail offically opened. So it was soft and loamy which made the climbing even more difficult- I was on my RFX.

I agree, pretty much my favorite XC epic. I prefer "cheap thrills" for XC technical fun. I'll be up the week prior to crankworks and I can't wait to hit both those rides!
    Small world. I'm pretty sure that we rode it the actual first day it opened officially (or maybe the first week). It was a Friday, and the next day there was a race scheduled on it. It was very soft.

Somehow, we missed Cheap Thrills but will put it at the top of the list for the next trip!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Members who have read this thread: 0