Totem on an RFX!!!????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Totem on an RFX!!!????

Well I did it. I successfully lowered a Totem to fit my RFX. I have it spaced to 160mm and at 5.9lbs it doesn't break the weight bank. In fact it is only .5lbs more than a Lyrik. This new Turner RFX is sick as well.
    I had my beloved Six Pack stolen from me by some dirt bag 6 weeks ago.
    I was all stressed out about whether I would like the new bike. I DO! I DO! I DO!. D.Turner has really dialed this thing in. it feels great. all that hoopla about horst vs. single is just "blah b blah blah" this bike is awesome . pedals great, plush, and stiff as a I- Beam.
    Well you guys Know about the Turners. The Totem was the issue. If you call Rock Shox they will give you the "we don't recommend it" speech
    I got pretty high up the corporate ladder when I was finally told it was due to lawyers and such. Any way, after talking and ferreting for a month I found the parts and a fair idea of what was up. I got my Totem and tore into it. It is very easy. the fork is well thought out so the job is a simple out patient procedure.
    I took pics if anyone wants to see and I have a procedure.
    The fork is awesome on this bike. Especially if you are a Clydesdale like me. I have finally found the answer to the " I am big what should I ride?" Turner RFX and a Totem is perfect.
    I gotta run, here is some eye candy for you. sorry she's a little dirty. she's seen 50miles in the last two days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outcast
    is that a solo air, or a coil totem? I had heard last year that the solo air could be lowered.

banned
    Yup, I want to see the procedure.

How does it feel now? As far as A2C, why wouldn't a 36 or Wotan be in the cards if you're going to run 160?

mtbr member
    Also, what's with all that tape hiding such a beautiful bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    Also, what's with all that tape hiding such a beautiful bike?
    Tubes. I've been thinking about doing the same for shuttle days where the bike can take more of a beating on the way up.

mtbr member
    From the pictures I am pretty sure it is a solo air and not a coil.....

I too am confused why one would lower a Totem to 160mm when there are many good 160mm forks out there already?

Buzz

mtbr member
    It sure looks burly - short and squat.

What is the deal with the tubes everywhere?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    I too am confused why one would lower a Totem to 160mm when there are many good 160mm forks out there already?

Buzz
    I'm going to guess two words - Rediculous Stiffness! I'd rock a 160mm Totem (coil for me, of course) in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Team Blindspot
    Nice to see that the CC "downhill lever position" is catching on

What's with the tubes being all wrapped up with tubes
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz

Buzz
    Why not? Did the same thing for Lyrik. Drop it to 140ish. I think spacer is the best way to tune the height of front fork instead of buying a travel adj. fork. You're stuck with the ride height they give you in a travel adj fork.

Sorry to derail the post. Here's mine on Spot.

Ignore the missing crank

mtbr member
    May 2007

Stiff stiff stiff

Sorry I didn't get back right away, its finals week.
    There are a bunch of good 6" forks out there. However, there are only a few with all the things I was looking for. 1st Fox is out of touch thinking that a lock out on a big travel fork is useless. I have had a marzocchi and a Lyrik. Both had lock out and I use them ALL the time. So Fox was out.
    I had two marzocchi's I wasn't thrilled with either one. they were good but not great. plus they were real hard to service and marz tech and CS has a lot to be desired. They can't even get the right air pressures in their manuals. Try a rebuild. So I was left with Rock Shox. I tried a Lyrik. i instantly fell in love with it. rode awesome really nice feel. very easy to work on. excellent CS, and the Flood gate is great easy on/off adjustable. makes that long standing climb on a fire road just that much easier.
    then my bike got stolen.
    As I was rebuilding, I heard rumors that the Solo Air in the Lyric and Totem were adjustable internally. I did some more digging and found it was true. It was a pain in the ass but I got the info I needed. So Being a big guy at 230+ gear I figured 1/2lb for the Totem Solo Air was no big deal. and the added stiffness was well worth it. plus it was fun.
    So I decided to give it a try.
    it was well worth it. That fork is crazy stiff. it handles drops beautifully. And I can still lock it out for those big climbs.
    That in a nut shell is why i went for it.

mtbr member
    May 2007

protection

It the best of both worlds. Its like having a new GI Joe. I get to play with it but it is still in the wrapper.

banned
    So how is the procedure done, how to get/make the spacer, part numbers, etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    So how is the procedure done, how to get/make the spacer, part numbers, etc?
    Its the same way you lower solo air rebas etc, and the same way i lowered my boxxer air. Just put in some spacers with the top out bumpers, want an inch of reduced travel, put in an inch of spacers. Increase your PSI a little and away you go.

I used boxxer pre-load spacers. If you dig through the sram parts manual you can actually buy proper spacers that clip onto the shaft and are designed to lower the solo air spring, they fit on boxxers, not sure what the diameter of the totem shaft is though..

try driving your car less
    Totm
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Totem lowering

That is not totally correct. Nothing clips to the shaft. Every thing floats on the shaft.
    By clipping spacers to the shaft you will mess up the negative air chambers' ability to function properly.
    you are correct in it isn't a big deal.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Totem lowering

It sounds like the procedure for your Boxxer is a bit different than the Totem. you have to put spacers between the top air piston and lower negative air piston. The spacers have to float as well with the other stuff.
    I have a procedure that I will PM if you like.
    Nothing clips anywhere.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshynjunky
    That is not totally correct. Nothing clips to the shaft. Every thing floats on the shaft.
    By clipping spacers to the shaft you will mess up the negative air chambers' ability to function properly.
    you are correct in it isn't a big deal.
    +1

A free-sliding spacer above the topout bumper (easy to get to by removing the snap ring on the bottom of the air spring leg) does the trick. I have ridden my totem at 140mm and 160mm using this technique. Works great.

Threads about lowering the Totem:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...Lowering+Totem
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Totem

mtbr member
    May 2007

totem space

there is only snap ring on the Totem on top of the blue air piston. the bottom out piston simply slides off the bottom of the piston shaft. You don't need any special tools to do this job.
    It was really easy. I am going to beat on it for ten days starting tomorrow. end of semester. going to play.

mtbr member
    All solo forks work the same way. They all get lowered the same way.

This is how you lower the air boxxer, just add spacers inside the negative spring with the top out bumpers.

Which i have posted before numerous times on here. Which is exactly the same method you would use to lower the totem air

SRAM make parts to do this and you can buy them off the shelf, the pike and argyle solo air forks have kits to do it. I bought some and they clipped on the shaft which differs from what is in the catalouge pictures. Meh... it doesn't matter, anything will work, loose fit/tight fit, clip on, slide over, doesn't matter it will all work and does the same thing.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    It's super simple. I just did the reverse (80mm to 130mm) for the Tora Solo Air on my singlespeed. You can find it in some of the oniline product manuals on the SRAM site.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    May 2007

Solo air

I haven't seen your posts, but you are right on with the diagrams. The spacers go "there". I had a really hard time finding this info. RS says "it isn't recommended" .
    So I had to go it alone.
    It works really well. and is easy to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshynjunky
    I haven't seen your posts, but you are right on with the diagrams. The spacers go "there". I had a really hard time finding this info. RS says "it isn't recommended" .
    So I had to go it alone.
    It works really well. and is easy to do.

Did you make the spacers or purchase them? If so, part numbers?

Thanks
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Members who have read this thread: 1