toronto....?- Mtbr.com

Thread: toronto....?

Mar 2005

toronto....?

Hi Folks,

Anyone here from Toronto, or know what the mountain biking surrounding Toronto is like. Currently live in UK (Cotswolds) and we're considering a potential job offer in Toronto, and would interested to here from any locals with some insider information??

Here's hoping...!

mtbr member
    There is a ski area called Blue Mtn, about 1 hour north of Whoronto which as 7 day lift access and tons of great trails. There is also a XC place about an hour away that I heard was awesome.
    Niagara escarpment is about 1.5 hours away great riding there too. I am sure there are closer places as well but I don't live near there.
    YOu also have 100+miles of trails in Western New York which is about 2.5 hours away.

check out www.wnymba.org

involuntary dismounter
    i'm from toronto...didn't bike much when i lived there...but i know there are lots of great trails within about 1.5hrs drive. the blue mountain/collingwood area is really awesome for biking in the summer and decent skiing and snowboarding in the winter. i'd say it's more like 2-3 hours outside the city. if you travel about 4-6 hours north you'll find the great outdoors...literally...there are tons of lakes, rivers, national forests, etc for you to play in. one of my fave things to do when i lived in southern ontario (toronto, and then london for school) was 10day canoe trips in algonquin park.

i have to say, there are great bike shops in the city, and lots of folks who mountain bike...and everyone is awesome and super friendly (sadly not the case here in AZ...grr) so fining bike buddies should be really easy. case in point, last time i was there was christmas 05....stopped by the local shop just to check out what's going on...and was invited on a group winter ride...offered gear, a bike, etc. (sux i had family stuff and couldn't go).

i also think toronto is one of the coolest cities in the world. it is the most multinational city i've ever lived in or visited. it's super clean for it's size and there's always stuff to do. if you can live with the cold in the winter, the rest is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

official info can be found here:
    http://www.ontariotravel.net/TcisCtr...me&language=EN

and here:
    http://www.toronto.ca/

if you call 1-800-ONTARIO they will send you MOUNTAINS of info about anything you need to know about the province of ontario and the city of toronto (a friend of mine used to work for them)

if you have further questions or need some help, my family still lives there...so don't hesitate to ask!

oh yeah...and since i was typing fast, no time for smileys...so here they all are...

oh yeah...and in case it wasn't clear above...TAKE THE JOB!! move to toronto!!! you won't regret it!!!

and it's pronounced torono...the second t is silent...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Aug 2004
    Toronto has lots of places to ride! Our elevation changes are not very extreme, but the trails are fairly hilly all things considered.

In the city there is a vast ravine system with many good trails. All the dirt trails are in great shape but they are also unofficial and use at your own risk with no restricted access.

Outside the city there is much more to ride. Each location has its own unique ride characteristics so its not the same ride everywhere. There are too many to list and describe.

Most of the trail networks are XC based.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm an hour and a half drive north of Toronto and we have a very large riding group. We often pat ourselves on our backs for being blessed with some of the best riding in Ontario...all within an hour drive. No major elevations but lots of ups and downs to make up for it. Everything from super techy rock riding to fast downhill runs to classic XC.

mtbr member
    i live in TO, there are tons of trails just otuside of the city. there is also the Don trail which is 5 min from the core. you can do a search for places like, hilton falls, kelso, don valley, hardwood hills, blue mountain, calipore, 3 stages. the riding here is amazing, and the people are as well. if you do come to TO, drop a line to hook up for a ride, there is a huge group of us, and its always a good time.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ontario has lots of cyclists, especially when considering how flat is it. Albion Hills is about 45min from Mississauga (suburb of Toronto). Albion has lots of single track and hosts the largest 24hour race in North America each year. I've heard about the Don Mills trails, however I've never ridden them and think there may have been access issues.

Check out chicoracing.com All the O-Cup (Ontario cups) are within 1 to 2hours from Toronto. The rest of us in Ontario (Iím in Ottawa) call them GTA-cups for people outside of Toronto.
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am just outside of Toronto as well and like everyone has said there are a lot of great trails to ride. Tonnes of great XC (some really rocky stuff), the Don Valley is in the city so you can either drive or ride there in a relatively short time.

If you are after some DH, again as mentioned, there is Blue Mountain but if you want to drive out for a weekend you can go out towards Ottawa (about 5hours away) where you can ride the lifts. Quebec is just a little further away with Montreal being a 6 hour drive and Bromont not much further. Mont-Sainte-Anne (where the World Cup DH and XC is always held) is 9 hours away and is totally worth the drive.

There are a whole lot of other places too.

Check out http://www.dropmachine.com/ It's a Toronto based site/forum and you can get a lot of info from there and probably hook up with some people for rides.

Hope to see you on the trails.

mtbr member
    I live in Toronto and I've got to admit, the riding is suprisingly good for a place with little elevation.

The only drawback i can see is the fact that unless you plan on riding the Don Valley trails all the time (which are phenominal considering they're in the heart of a city) you'll need a car.

Once you've accepted the driving issue, the best part of Toronto is the fact that you have access to such a wide variety of trail types. From very little elevation, wooded areas to very technical shield rock riding and everything in between (including stunt riding if it's your thing). There are well over a dozen different places to ride within 1.5hrs from the city and new locales being 'discovered' all the time.

The riding season can be year round if you're brave. Most of the people I know are out now and will be until mid December. A pair of ice tires are needed if you plan on riding through the winter seriously.

As one other poster pointed out, many trails are under the radar and not necessarily sanctioned places to ride. There are still many problems with liability which will eventually get sorted out but until then, it's a bit of an issue.

If you don't mind car trips there are many destinations to chose from.
    If DH is your thing then Blue is the closest (http://www.bluemountain.ca/) with Camp Fortune, Calabogie next on the list.
    I've also driven down to Bromont, Diablo & Snowshoe. This year I'm driving down to Whiteface to check them out and possibly St. Anne & Plattekill.

It's a great community of riders, give us a shout if you decide to move and I'm sure you'll find plenty of guides to show you around.

Good luck

Clem

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    It's a great community of riders, give us a shout if you decide to move and I'm sure you'll find plenty of guides to show you around.
    that's definitely what i miss about home the most! i first started riding in London (Canada...not England...about 100kms away from TO) and even on my first trip out, which was solo on an in town trail, with my brand spankin' new shiny bike and starched gear, when everything about me SCREAMED noob (not to mention i kept tipping over due to my shiny new clipless pedals!)...people were so awesome and friendly. it took about 10 minutes to meet new riding buddies, get tips on riding, bike maintenance, etc. i'm absolutely sure that EVERYONE that was biking that day passed me, and they all said hi, asked how i was doing, etc.

here in AZ 1 in every 10 people volunteers a hello...on a good day...a buddy of mine got a bunch of flats one day...and we ended up using all 5 of the spare tubes we had between the 2 of us...and he ended up walking his bike out through the desert. 8 people passed us while we were fiddling with that stupid bike...only 1 even acknowledged our presence as he passed us!

i guess they just don't make them as nice here...or maybe the heat fries their brains!

ok...rant over...

Mar 2005
    Folks- huge thanks for all the replies- that was the most inspiring set of responses I've read i a while, and having just been offered the job, I've getting really excited.

Right, childish giggling over- What's the cost of living like? What's a good salary for a couple to live comfortably off, and do most people rent house, lease cars etc?

We're going from two salaries and no kids i the UK, to one salary.

By the way- the description of the riding, sounds better than most of what the UK has to offer, and I particularly like the idea of 10 day mountain trips, if I can avoid bears! 1 week in Whistler and we saw two, one just in front of me on a double black diamond route I was walking down (I bit off a bit more than I could chew!)

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    From what I understand the cost of living in Toronto (and surrounding area) is way cheaper than the UK.

Condos are popping up all over the place so most people are buying those rather then renting. It's definitely a renters market right now because what people are paying in rent could end up paying the same or a tad more into a mortgage.

The further you move away from Toronto the cheaper the housing costs are. It will depend on how far you want to drive or commute. You will have to deal with a lot of traffic getting into the city.

Typically, to buy a house just ourside of Toronto you are looking at least $300k to find something decent for maybe 1500 sq feet and prices go up very quickly from there. Within the city you are looking at a lot more.

If you find a place along Lake Ontario you can take the GO Train (the Lake Shore Line.it goes a long way out of the city) all the way into Toronto and then take the subways or street-cars to move around within the city.
    You have a lot of options.

If you live in the city you almost don't even need a car. Public transit is really good.
    I know people who will rent a car if they want to travel out of Toronto on weekends.

I haven't seen any bears out at Blue Mountain but I have seen some out when riding at Calabogie and Camp Fortune,

Mar 2005
    thanks- not sure where we'll live. but coming over in a few weeks to meet the company and check out the area. Anywhere NOT recommended- would hate to find a great cheap place to discover we're on the wrong side of town!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glutes
    Anywhere NOT recommended- would hate to find a great cheap place to discover we're on the wrong side of town!
    There are a few places that you wouldn't really want to live. There are some really nice areas and some really not-so-nice areas.
    Give me a day and will talk to some friends who live in Toronto and they will tell me for certain what areas aren't the greatest.
    I know that there are some spots that were sketchy but they are now being cleaned up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Some of the places to avoid living in Toronto:

- Scarborough

- anywhere between Jarvis St and Don River

- Bloor St West

- Jane and Finch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glutes
    thanks- not sure where we'll live. but coming over in a few weeks to meet the company and check out the area. Anywhere NOT recommended- would hate to find a great cheap place to discover we're on the wrong side of town!
    Avoid:

Definitely avoid Jane & Finch
    North Scarborough
    Jarvis to Don River
    Bloor & Dufferin

If you want to ride MTB downtown, the trails are along the Don Valley. Bayview & Pottery Rd is a good start point and they go North from there. So if you end up close to there, you'll have quite an extensive trail network at your doorstep.

Clem

trail fairy
    i'm from toronto...didn't bike much when i lived there...but i know there are lots of great trails within about 1.5hrs drive. the blue mountain/collingwood area is really awesome for biking in the summer and decent skiing and snowboarding in the winter. i'd say it's more like 2-3 hours outside the city. if you travel about 4-6 hours north you'll find the great outdoors...literally...there are tons of lakes, rivers, national forests, etc for you to play in. one of my fave things to do when i lived in southern ontario (toronto, and then london for school) was 10day canoe trips in algonquin park.

i have to say, there are great bike shops in the city, and lots of folks who mountain bike...and everyone is awesome and super friendly (sadly not the case here in AZ...grr) so fining bike buddies should be really easy. case in point, last time i was there was christmas 05....stopped by the local shop just to check out what's going on...and was invited on a group winter ride...offered gear, a bike, etc. (sux i had family stuff and couldn't go).

i also think toronto is one of the coolest cities in the world. it is the most multinational city i've ever lived in or visited. it's super clean for it's size and there's always stuff to do. if you can live with the cold in the winter, the rest is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

official info can be found here:
    http://www.ontariotravel.net/TcisCtr...me&language=EN

and here:
    http://www.toronto.ca/

if you call 1-800-ONTARIO they will send you MOUNTAINS of info about anything you need to know about the province of ontario and the city of toronto (a friend of mine used to work for them)

if you have further questions or need some help, my family still lives there...so don't hesitate to ask!

oh yeah...and since i was typing fast, no time for smileys...so here they all are...

oh yeah...and in case it wasn't clear above...TAKE THE JOB!! move to toronto!!! you won't regret it!!!

and it's pronounced torono...the second t is silent...
    Sheesh dh after that rant who would admit theyre from Torronto
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Sheesh dh after that rant who would admit theyre from Torronto
    so maybe i got a little carried away ...but what can i say?...after switching continents 3 times before the age of 10, i was greatful we settled there...it was a fun place to grow up!

trail fairy
    All good sweetie I felt ya needed a good tease

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    All good sweetie I felt ya needed a good tease
    i dunno why you're always picking on me ...when i'm clearly a sweet innocent angel!

Members who have read this thread: 0