Is there a difference in the geometry comparing a 5.5 spot to a 5.5 pack??- Mtbr.com
    RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Is there a difference in the geometry comparing a 5.5 spot to a 5.5 pack??

That is a 5.5 pack with a spot rear seat and chain stays. I did a search, and didn't come up with anything, but I'm not the best interweb user.

I have a 5.5 pack with the spot stays and ,by appearance, looks slacker than a spot.

I also notice that the seat angle is a bit more slack, as the bike sinks into the travel on climbs. Is this the nature of the design, where a dw wouldn't do this? I have a 2009 rp23 and had the propedal on 2, but was a bit rough on the square hits. Feels a bit better on the 1 setting. The shock also has the 3rd (high?) compression tune and the 2nd rebound tune. Don't know if this helps. I have it set to 25% sag too.

Any help from Frankenturner users would help.

mtbr member
    Are you comparing them with the same fork?

The 5.5 Spot should be slightly lower BB and a bit steeper in the HA, by design. The 5 Pack will be slacker in the SA and HA, but have a slightly higher BB.

The 5.5 Pack is a really fun bike.

As far as the rear shock goes, I really don't like PP for anything but fireroad climbs. These bikes are meant to be active while climbing. I would also try 30-33% sag. I think it will take the edge of the hits and be more sensitive for the small stuff. I would also recommend a coil shock if you want the best ride possible. The air shock is very adequate and saves some weight, but if you want that bike to shine pick up a coil shock.

Any pics? Have fun with it.

TG

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a fox 32 on it. It is a fun bike, and definately think a coil is the way to go, but already sunk the cash into the rp23. It doesn't feel bad, it's just not dialed. I think more experimenting is necessary. I'll snap some pics and post it up. Thanks for the feedback.

Members who have read this thread: 0