Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Oh I like that chainstay guard.......

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Ready to report for duty....SIR!!!

Where can I get a chainstay sticker like that ?????????????????? I want I want I want!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay! Bikes !
    yea, so does yours.

what the heck is that in the background ?

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.

Aqua-toys..

Is that a hollow-pin chain, or did you get carried away with the drill motor?

Have ya rode the TNT yet?
    ...every day sends future to past...

Negative Rep Points!!!!

H2oToy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.

Now with flavor!!
    Oh for christ's sake!!!

Dear dave: I'm as much a fan of my DHR as these freaks are with their xc rigs. I ride my turner weekly (daily for spurts in the summer) and frequently reccommend the brand. But I'm not sure the highline is well represented enough here on these forums. I think the best way to overcome that little hurdle is to get out the gospel.........send some random stuff my way and I'll be happy to post my unbiased, highly positive yet fully objective opinion praising the technology, the craftmanship...... But most of all I would of course welcome the chance to tell jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion when I talk about what an effective freeride machine you've created regardless of the pivot placements.. I mean really, the highline needs the publicity doncha think?

That's my take, how did you guys do it?

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    ...Dear dave: ...
    LOL!!!!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

But most of all I would of course welcome the chance to tell jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion.

Dude:

Don't harsh on those guys like that. I was just gonna pm them and see if they'd like to follow me around with their laptops, charts, and micrometers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Dude:

Don't harsh on those guys like that. I was just gonna pm them and see if they'd like to follow me around with their laptops, charts, and micrometers.
    ROFLOL

Homer's problem child
    But most of all I would of course welcome the chance to tell jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion when I talk about what an effective freeride machine you've created regardless of the pivot placements..

As mechanical engineer I repsect that they (Jayem and SFJH and others) are taking a hard look at the problem, but I also realize with the right resources and time they would both be made to look a bit foolish.

As a rider I respect what Aqua, Zilla, and the others are doing by simply riding TNT and HL back to back and giving us real "feel" info we as riders can all relate to.

Designers and engineers design and build fighter jets with theoretical capabilities and limits, test pilots find the ACTUAL capabilities and limits. They are often not the same, sometimes pilots do things the designers and engineers think are impossible, sometimes the designers and engineers do things the pilots think are impossible.

How many people have to ride the TNT rear end and report that the differences are not perceivable to 99% of the people that ride the bike? Do they really need a mathmatical model or computer model to confirm this?

If someone is willing to pay up I'll put together and run LS-DYNA simulations of both rear ends under braking and pedaling loads. I'll also need to get a data aquisition package (like what Push Industries has only with more stuff) and need test riders and bikes. I'll take data aquired from this and use it in software analysis and keep iterating until a quantifiable solution is obtained. May take a while and I'll probably get a Phd in the process but my guess is it will shut everyone up.

I think T.E. and Specialized should pony up and pay to have something like that run since they are the ones selling the "superior" designs.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

aqua toy???

what a surprise! you should add that to yer........... oh. nevermind.

so what DONT you rip on? well besides knitting needles? by the way thats a killer pic. winston again i presume. hehe
    No, I'm NOT back!

Baked Alaskan
    Aqua, like the others that have posted their impressions I'm looking forward to your findings. Keep us posted and please put as many ridiculous formulas as you can possibly cram into one post. Then be sure to tell any doubters how stupid we are for not taking an unqualified word as the gospel. Cool water toy BTW, its -2 right now, I miss the water...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Trail rider and racer
    That's a cool chain stay protector. Where'd you get it from?
    Trev!

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    That's a cool chain stay protector. Where'd you get it from?
    He's not awake yet (he likes to get his beauty rest) so I'll answer - it's Jet ski padding material.

Before Aqua donned the lycra, he was a world champion in pro Jet ski competition. a) That is impressive; b) we are not worthy.

Never enough time to ride
    Man, he just likes to go big, doesn't matter what he's doin. Cool. I can appreciate Steve from JH and Jayem's take on it from an engineering, by the numbers and purely theoretical stand point, though I'm thinkin it's starting to get a bit old and overdone. But I much more appreciate the real world, hands on testing, Zilla, Tscheesy, Aqua and others have done.

Now here's one I'd like to see, how does the new linkage work on the back end of say a Burner or an XCE?? So far I've most of the testers have noted a slight change in how firmly the bike pedaled, would the same be true for the older rocker configuration? Might be fun to find out.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    I thought the chainstay sticker was a Bianchi thing.

crazyhouse

No, that's not phonetic
    jayem and steve from JH to go butt hump each other in pure horst felt passion
    I almost giggled myself into a hernia when DT very innocently, but in an ironic and accidentally perspicacious slip, called Steve from JH, "Steve from JM" recently.

I bet JM is puffing up like a sage grouse at the thought of being put in the same "engineering" category as Steve.

Kidwoo, if you want to put my Pack TNT rear end on your DHR, I bet DT would go for it. I'll let you know when I'm done "testing"...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Outcast
    Before anyone continues their praise of Jayem's engineering input, you might want to keep in mind that he is a 28 year old bike shop manager, with no engineering degree, who post whores on every subject whether he knows anything about the subject or not. I have little respect for spewed garbage, and for anyone who tries on a daily basis to pass off incorrect information as fact.
    Last edited by Renegade; 11-29-2005 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling. I hate spelling errors as much as I hate spewed garbage.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Before anyone continues their praise of Jayem's engineering input, you might want to keep in mind that he is a 28 year old bike shop manager, with no engineering degree, who post whores on every subject whether he knows anything about the subject or not. I have little respect for spewed garbage, and for anyone who tries on a daily basis to pass off incorrect information as fact.
    Haha.

I only work in the bike shop part time now. I never claimed to be a manager.

I'm actually a Flight Instructor with an Aeronautical Science degree.

I'm also not that old.

Thanks for playing (and loosing) in today's episode of "internet guess".

You're a really bitter old man eh?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Haha.

I only work in the bike shop part time now. I never claimed to be a manager.

I'm actually a Flight Instructor with an Aeronautical Science degree.

I'm also not that old.

Thanks for playing (and loosing) in today's episode of "internet guess".
    So you're even younger and less experienced in reality than previously thought? Change your birthdate in your mtbr profile then. As far as playing internet guess, you are one of the masters at that. I'm learning all I know about bullsh!tting my way through my day from you.

Outcast
    It's obvious that your mtbr profile is as false as the rest of your information. Continue to reduce your credibilty, it's humurous and sad at the same time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    lol, you actually believe my MTBR "internet profile"? hehehe.

I kinda thought that the "other information" there might be a dead giveaway that it's not entirely factual. Some people are really slow though.

Gullible eh?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's obvious that your mtbr profile is as false

Not to you it isn't. You just stated above how "old" I was based on my profile.

I guess I hit a nerve when I said "bitter old man".

No, that's not phonetic
    For those who are wondering, the pic in my profile is indeed me. I like to present honest info, always.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I bet JM is puffing up like a sage grouse at the thought of being put in the same "engineering" category as Steve. ".
    The horrible irony being that it would be a compliment. I actually committed myself to several years of misery in chemical engineering grad school. The biggest lesson I walked away with was that I would forever be surrounded by people who would argue what's on their paper calculations was the only feasible outcome and what they were seeing with their own eyes was impossible. It was my first real life experience with brick walls that walked around and looked like people.

Kidwoo, if you want to put my Pack TNT rear end on your DHR, I bet DT would go for it. I'll let you know when I'm done "testing"...
    If I had an old afterbuner I'd be game.

The abandonment of the horstie got me thinking actually. Why not 5 and 6" versions of DHR frame designs? Low COG, stiffer swingarms and lots of standover clearance. Kind of like a better built cannondale jekyl/turner rail with a swing link........Hmmm

Time flies...
    Wow Cheeze, it looks like you just found a Jm in yer nose!
    ...honest info!

Never enough time to ride
    Okay guys, this is getting lame!!! Lets leave the flame wars out of this thread, eh??

And I gotta do it, because you guys really are...
    Last edited by squish; 09-18-2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Get out and ride!

Outcast
    Hey Tscheezy, can you explain to a bitter old man, in non-technical pseudo-engineering terms, how to use the ignore feature? I have a wart I need to remove.

DGC
    mtbr member

how old

The horrible irony being that it would be a compliment. I actually committed myself to several years of misery in chemical engineering grad school. The biggest lesson I walked away with was that I would forever be surrounded by people who would argue what's on their paper calculations was the only feasible outcome and what they were seeing with their own eyes was impossible. It was my first real life experience with brick walls that walked around and looked like people.

If I had an old afterbuner I'd be game.

The abandonment of the horstie got me thinking actually. Why not 5 and 6" versions of DHR frame designs? Low COG, stiffer swingarms and lots of standover clearance. Kind of like a better built cannondale jekyl/turner rail with a swing link........Hmmm

Old afterburner eh?
    How old does the afterburner have to be? Here is 2 from my stable.

Baked Alaskan

cool...

Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Old afterburner eh?
    How old does the afterburner have to be? Here is 2 from my stable.
    Cool old skool rides. Where are the purple ano parts?
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Now with flavor!!
    Oh man, do you still have those? That would be waaay too tempting to go ski bike if I had'em.

There's a guy up here I see every so often on a white afterburner. He uses is on xc rides.

mtbr member

SQUISHY Mr Ed Fan Club

Nice post regarding Beating the Dead Horst.

From the moving images at this low a resolution it is unclear whether the 'Beater' is delivering maximum energy transfer to the 'Horst'. It could be an errant pivot location design at the elbo/fist stay junction. Unclear if this is by design or simply a genetic mutation. This seems to have no effect on the leverage induced movement of the Horst. It does not appear to move at all. Is this possible?

I wonder if someone could do some Dr Science filming in slo motion of me dropping off the Horst and perform further analysis. I volunteer my services if called upon by my comrades.

Peace

Outcast
    There is no leverage induced motion in the dead horst due to the presence of the head of a loser-pseudo-engineer lodged in the dead horst's ass.

DGC
    mtbr member

nope

Oh man, do you still have those? That would be waaay too tempting to go ski bike if I had'em.

There's a guy up here I see every so often on a white afterburner. He uses is on xc rides.
    no have no moe. I wish I did. Hopefully I will get a Turner ski bike going soon here.

DGC
    mtbr member

no poople

Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Cool old skool rides. Where are the purple ano parts?
    I didnt have it in me to run purple back then.

Renegade, thanks....

You made this a great thread! Combined with my favorite Dead Horse animation your comments made for the best laugh Ive had in a while. Keep up the good fight!

And now for my own totally worthless contribution: (Still better than any diagram IMHO)
    Last edited by CDtofer; 11-29-2005 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Had to add my own picture contribution

Yay! Bikes !
    hell yea ... I would be all over something like that.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey Tscheezy, can you explain to a bitter old man, in non-technical pseudo-engineering terms, how to use the ignore feature? I have a wart I need to remove.
    Sure. Go to the "my account" link, and a little ways down the list of links on the left side of your account page, under miscellaneous, click the "buddy / ignore" link. Type the handle of the offending dork into the list, and you are done. I think I am about the only person here who sanitizes their empty beer experience thusly. Highly recommended. It's an odd club in there right now: Davide, Dusty Bottoms, and Steve from JH.

jrm
    mtbr member

Here..

Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Where can I get a chainstay sticker like that ?????????????????? I want I want I want!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://store.bianchiusa.com/cgi-bin/...ml?id=6T4V7dMg

Outcast
    Tscheezy, thanks. My stable of ignoree's will be small as well but well deserved.
    JRM, thanks for the link to the bianchi site; I have allways loved that chainstay decal!

Time flies...
    Well, if 'your bike sucks', then my bike wants to meet your bike...

sorry...couldn't resist!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Well, if 'your bike sucks', then my bike wants to meet your bike...

sorry...couldn't resist!
    My bike will bite the "head" off your bike!
    I think that chainstay protector will look slick on this:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sure. Go to the "my account" link, and a little ways down the list of links on the left side of your account page, under miscellaneous, click the "buddy / ignore" link. Type the handle of the offending dork into the list, and you are done. I think I am about the only person here who sanitizes their empty beer experience thusly. Highly recommended. It's an odd club in there right now: Davide, Dusty Bottoms, and Steve from JH.

No way! You responded to someone responding to one of my posts last week! The only way you could have responded in context would be if you actually saw my post. I'm sure everyone would be fine knowing you still read my posts. Let's talk zerk fittings!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    No way! You responded to someone responding to one of my posts last week! The only way you could have responded in context would be if you actually saw my post. I'm sure everyone would be fine knowing you still read my posts. Let's talk zerk fittings!
    Well, if someone else quotes you (like I just did) then cheezy is forced to read your post. Hard to say how much irreversable psychological damage is done.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

ROFL Oh man, and just before bed too.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

No, that's not phonetic
    You silly little groms have a loooooonnnnngggg way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    since I no that Tscheesy is reading now because of quoting, tell him that I think much about covering him in choco syrup and running my tongue up and down his succulent thighs
    See that? Now that is an affront to the eye on the level of a sharp stick.

I mainly ignore the rest of you to keep from falling asleep and drooling into the keyboard.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Sweet thanks!

My cup runneth over
    Even simpler: click on the offender's name and a little ways down on the right you can click on 'add @#$%% to my ignore list'. This method for the 'ignore with extreme prejudice' moments...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

You Poor Sod!

I actually committed myself to several years of misery in chemical engineering grad school. The biggest lesson I walked away with was that I would forever be surrounded by people who would argue what's on their paper calculations was the only feasible outcome and what they were seeing with their own eyes was impossible. It was my first real life experience with brick walls that walked around and looked like people.
    Ouch -- I saw that kind of stuff coming and ran as fast as I could after four years of undergrad. Thanks for validating my decision!

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Ouch -- I saw that kind of stuff coming and ran as fast as I could after four years of undergrad. Thanks for validating my decision!
    I gots the edjamacation so at least I can show up at job interviews and claim a capacity for math, but walking away from that field after a few internships was one of the few decisions in my life I've never regretted. Now I'm just a low paid water chemistry guy who lives in the mountains and will always have more bikes than stress medication.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This thread has made me realize that lying on my mtbr profile was wrong.

Ignore the stated info. I'm really a Vegas showgirl. I know Siggy and Roy personally (and man do we have fun with those tigers!).

See you at Interbike next year!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    This thread has made me realize that lying on my mtbr profile was wrong.
    I'm going to come clean too. I'm not really a 48 year old bitter machinist, I'm a 20 year old female prostitute with huge jugs, I'm hooked on crack, and I have a masters degree in quantum physics.

Brass Nipples!
    I'm ... a 48 year old bitter machinist.
    Rene, if you decide to go back to being a bitter machinist, would you be interested in helping me make a custom roof rack mount for a Surly Pugsly 135 mm wide fork?
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Rene, if you decide to go back to being a bitter machinist, would you be interested in helping me make a custom roof rack mount for a Surly Pugsly 135 mm wide fork?
    Prostitution pays so much better than being a machinist, plus I'm my own boss, with low overhead, happy costomers, etc.

Bob, p.m. me, and we'll talk.

Members who have read this thread: 0