suspension question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

suspension question

Hi,
    Took a ride through a technical long rock garden on a buddy's RFX.
    Bike rode real nice but I think I felt the suspension stiffened up under heavy pedalling.
    Never felt my old 5 Spot do that (2005 HL). It was a pretty short ride so I'm actually not really sure it was the suspension stiffening.
    Since I'm considering getting the RFX, could anyone tell if the RFX does stiffen up slightly under heavy pedalling ?

banned
    That's a decent question, but I think the conditions of the situation have to be qualified, such as if you had the suspension set up for yourself, how you pedaled (in or out of the saddle), and overall (front-rear) suspension balance. Other factors such as gear combo can also shed light.

Can you better describe the sensation you felt?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That's the thing. I spent about 10 minutes on the bike. Not sure what I felt, if anything.
    Naturally it was not set up for me.
    That's why I wanted to hear from people who have more time on this bike - does the suspension lock up / stiffen unfer hard pedalling ?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    That's why I wanted to hear from people who have more time on this bike - does the suspension lock up / stiffen unfer hard pedalling ?
    I'll throw my thoughts in as a previous owner of a horst-link '02 as well as my current '08 RFX. I've also owned forward single-pivots (santa cruz) so I'm totally familiar with that weird, "inverted bob" some bikes get as pedaling forces cause the suspension to firm up and extend. Of course this sensation is always dependant on your gearing, which determines the angle of the chain pulling against the main pivot location.

Anyways: I've never noticed my '08 RFX firm up under pedaling in any gear, or braking!

Compared to my older RFX, I did notice the more progressive feel right away. It's as if you only get that last 3/4" of travel on the biggest hits, and perhaps the leverage curve is such that the bike does feel firm at the end of it's stroke. I liked it right away, it's a nice safety net feeling, more like the highline than my old '02. Thats the only time I've felt the suspension firming up, just at the end of stroke, no pedaling or braking involved. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I am not sure exactly what you guys are talking about, generally people refer to suspension stiffening under braking, not pedaling. I suspect you are referring to pedal-induced feedback on the suspension: this would be most apparent in the granny gear going over rocks with sharp transitions (square edge hits) and the bike feels like it wants to hang up there instead of rolling forward.

If that's what you are talking about, I would say that it is far more related to shock performance and setup than to the linkage itself. My '06 RFX with a stock DHX coil would exhibit some of that behavior in the granny in technical rock gardens, after switching to an Avy shock and tuning it carefully that feeling has completely disappeared.

I agree with FM that a more progressive linkage reduces the effect and allows a wider range of shocks to be usable. With the '06 RFX the effect differs dramatically with stock rockers (slightly progressive) and 5.5 Spot rockers (very progressive).

trail fairy
    PM maybe I missed it!

What year RFX
    What type/model of shock
    I2I is it standard or Frankened?
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0