Sultan Little Brother??!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Sultan Little Brother??!

Is there any rumors or word on a possible 29er Little Brother to the Sultan in the Turner line up?
    A little less travel and a lot less weight? Sort of a 29er Flux?

I've jumped on the 29 train but I am missing my Turner. The Sultan seems closer to the 5 Spot and I am a Flux type rider.

Any news or rumors?

mtbr member
    I would be interested in one. I would be surprised if it happened, pleasantly surprised but surprised.
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

Space Ghost
    I have a TNT Sultan. The frame (Lg.) was 6 lbs. 8 oz. I think what you would get if you reduced the current Sultan's travel and tried to lighten the frame is at most a pound off the current (DW) Sultan. Certainly not worth the expense to manufacture. I'm not even confident that you could get a pound lighter w/out creating a fragile frame. Of course there is always carbon fiber, but again probably not worth the expense at this point.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

( )
    Nov 2004
    less travel and lighter? sounds like the first gen sultan

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    I have a TNT Sultan. The frame (Lg.) was 6 lbs. 8 oz. I think what you would get if you reduced the current Sultan's travel and tried to lighten the frame is at most a pound off the current (DW) Sultan. Certainly not worth the expense to manufacture. I'm not even confident that you could get a pound lighter w/out creating a fragile frame. Of course there is always carbon fiber, but again probably not worth the expense at this point.
    The frame weight is becoming a big nothingburger for me on my DW Sultan. Though a frame in the 6 lbs. range would be the ticket.

What I really want is 100mm rear travel and designed for a 100mm fork. I'd also like geometry that's a little more responsive (steeper HA, maybe shorter CS?). Essentially, I am looking for something along the lines of a JET9 with a DW Link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    The frame weight is becoming a big nothingburger for me on my DW Sultan. Though a frame in the 6 lbs. range would be the ticket.

What I really want is 100mm rear travel and designed for a 100mm fork. I'd also like geometry that's a little more responsive (steeper HA, maybe shorter CS?). Essentially, I am looking for something along the lines of a JET9 with a DW Link.

You'd be looking for a Pivot 429, aside from the lighter weight thing.

mtbr member

Pivot 429?

I love my TNT Sultan and I really think it shines as both XC bike and a light AM bike. I did have the opportunity to demo a Pivot 429 a few weeks ago and I think it may be what you are looking for. The bike lived up to its marketing hype---it had a very snappy XC feel that simply felt awesome on XC trails in the SF Bay Area. The TNT Sultan was no slouch in the climbing department, and certainly felt more impressive (i.e plush control) than the 429 in the rough stuff, but the TNT Sultan didn't feel like it had the same get up and go acceleration of the DW Link bike. That test ride had me thinking about building up the TNT Sultan in a more AM trim and adding a Pivot 429 or Jet 9 to the stable--I was that impressed. I don't think I will be derailed from my current plan to build up a DW Link Sultan as a light AM bike and keeping my TNT Sultan as my XC machine---but it is nice to have some cool options to consider.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    You'd be looking for a Pivot 429, aside from the lighter weight thing.
    I already have a JET9 to address most of those requirements (except for the DW Link. The CVA does hold its own, however) .

I started with a TNT Sultan. that got me hooked on the big wheels. It rode as a nice tweener between my Flux (for sale) and my 5 Spot (sold). I built up a set of light wheels and XC tires for racing and a little more burly wheelset for everything else. With those wheel choices, it was the closest I've had to a do-it-all bike. After I rode the DW bikes at Interbike last year, I was hooked on the new mini-link designs and picked up a Sultan at the beginning of this year. Then I decided I wanted something similar to the new Sultan, but in a more XC guise. Enter the JET9. I really like the JET for going fast on relatively smooth trails. For day-to-day riding, I usually grab the Sultan. It is more confidence inspiring at speed and does not give up much going uphill.

mtbr member
    What you are looking for does not exist:

Yeti ASR 29er
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    How about a Titus RX? Never ridden one, but looks pretty nice to me.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Yep, the equivalent of Jet 9 is the answer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Titus is a quick and nimble bike but has a firm feel- I like it quite a bit, especially the stiffness. It is just plush enough to not feel harsh and bouncy like most Hardtails. I'm riding the DW Sultan and hopefully, I'll get my Titus back soon so I have a lighter bike for the longer rides, especially if the trails are smoother. Of course, the Titus is built a couple of lbs lighter so that helps after a few hours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I hate to say it and I do miss my Flux but I am going with the Jet 9. The TNT Sultan sounds interesting but hard to find. I think the DW Sultan is too much bike for me. Especially for a lot of climbing.
    Thanks for your comments!

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with getting the bike that works for you---enjoy!!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    What size TNT Sultan are you interested in?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The "Baby Sultan" could be a fun bike!

But.....having ridden both Sultan V1 and V2 extensively, I would definitely prefer to endurance race the new V2 DW Sultan. It may be a bit heavier, but it also has that magic combination of snappier pedaling and plusher suspension than the V1.

Jet 9? Forget about it. Great concept, poor execution. They break. Frequently. And in a lot of different places. Such as the top tube in the middle of the BC Bike Race while running in 3rd place after training seriously for 6 months. My poor buddy! Although I have to say I expect Niner will eventually sort this out. They seem like solid folks.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Your Best Friend
    Wow Kosmo, that sucks. I feel for your buddy. The top tube is such a strange place for a frame to break. Hope it all works out for him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Medium on the DW version. Those dimensions match my Flux Medium. I guess medium on the TNT. The top tube on the TNT is a little longer.
    I was looking at the Small Jet 9. The medium just feels big.

not so super...
    Let's keep the bashing of other brands out of this forum please.
    Nothing to see here.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Let's keep the bashing of other brands out of this forum please.
    what bashing?

seriously.......Lay off the mod-juice for a bit

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Rod
    Is there any rumors or word on a possible 29er Little Brother to the Sultan in the Turner line up?
    A little less travel and a lot less weight? Sort of a 29er Flux?

I've jumped on the 29 train but I am missing my Turner. The Sultan seems closer to the 5 Spot and I am a Flux type rider.

Any news or rumors?
    I have heard rumours of such a creature...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    what bashing?

seriously.......Lay off the mod-juice for a bit

I have to assume that Lynx didn't personally email you his post and you missed reading it here before I deleted it.

Mod juice is good stuff!
    Nothing to see here.

Bodhisattva
    I have to assume that Lynx didn't personally email you his post and you missed reading it here before I deleted it.

Mod juice is good stuff!

No. I missed that piece of fun. We can usually count on LyNx to up the fun quotient of any thread.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    So did LyNX not make Niner's Christmas card list last year? He seems to be a little more cranky about all things Niner lately.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Isn't the Sultans little brother the Flux

mtbr member
    WOW, so this is MTBR these days huh Say anything bad about a MTBR Sponsor and it gets deleted, even if there were only stated facts with images to provide visual aid. At what point in time is it against MTBR policy to not be able to tell someone I WOULDN"T buy that brand right now??????

Mod juice is good stuff!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Don't give a flying fvck if I got/get a xmas card from Niner, fact is they are having serious issues with QC on the JET9s and the frames are breaking EVERYWHERE! I just posted to that effect because the OP said he was considering buying one. Niner re-designed the rear tri for '09 and guess what, they just had to add on a FUGKLY A$$ piece onto that to try and alleviate it from cracking. I'm only pissed at Niner because they are not doing enough testing and/or QC and people are buying their frames and being their test guinea pigs and that is wrong. Guess someone at Niner saw the post with all the pics of all the different break locations and didn't wnat somethinglike that all in one place so people could see.

Oh and just so everyone can go read the thread, here's just ONE of the threads about broken JET9s' http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=524742
    So did LyNX not make Niner's Christmas card list last year? He seems to be a little more cranky about all things Niner lately.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    WOW, so this is MTBR these days huh Say anything bad about a MTBR Sponsor and it gets deleted, even if there were only stated facts with images to provide visual aid. At what point in time is it against MTBR policy to not be able to tell someone I WOULDN"T buy that brand right now??????
    Meh, I wouldn't buy a RIP9 right now.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I have heard rumours of such a creature...
    Is this sorta like a chupracabra or something?

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    hmmmmmm.....

Wasn't it about this time last year or earlier that the DW turner "rumors" came out?

Smoke and fire?

Interesting.

When's Interbike again? Oh yeah about 2 months out....

bobo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I lust after such a creature. I own an 08 TNT Sultan and have raced it a ton but it is too heavy...there, I said it. It is comfy over the long haul and fast downhill but in endurance races with 10,000'+ of climbing, I notice the overall weight.

A Turner 29er with DW Link, with 4 inches of travel, a 72* head angle with a 100mm fork, that tips the scales under 5.5 lbs in a Large would make me SO happy. Think 29er Nitrous without the 165 lb rider weight limit.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    I am on board with Dave with Driggs---that frame weight may be an ambitious---but that would be an awesome bike!! Would Turner have to utilize carbon to attain that kind of frame weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    Would Turner have to utilize carbon to attain that kind of frame weight?
    I sure hope not. I don't want a "plastic" Turner. The Nitrous was lighter than almost all of its carbon competitors so I would bet that DT could build a "skinny" 29er FS if he wanted to.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    I am on board with Dave with Driggs---that frame weight may be an ambitious---but that would be an awesome bike!! Would Turner have to utilize carbon to attain that kind of frame weight?
    After seeing reviewing the broken JET9 thread, I think shooting for a weight of an aluminum frame of 6 lbs. (or less) would be foolhardy. If you could create a reliable frame at 6.3-6.5 lbs. that's a little lower and a little more responsive than the current Sultan, I'd be all over it.

mtbr member
    After seeing reviewing the broken JET9 thread, I think shooting for a weight of an aluminum frame of 6 lbs. (or less) would be foolhardy. If you could create a reliable frame at 6.3-6.5 lbs. that's a little lower and a little more responsive than the current Sultan, I'd be all over it.
    Me 4!

mnt bike laws of physics

Carbon!!!

hate to say it but if you want a light 29er fully for the long climbs you should consider carbon.

I love my DW Sultan! It rocks the trails around here like no other bike. The one place it doesn't do so well, because of its mass is the long climbs unless they are super technical.

You may want to consider the GF Superfly 100. That mother is super light. If you can afford it at $5600 it sounds like it is just what you are asking for.

jrm
    mtbr member

i understand that the HL XCEs

can accept 650c wheels. Tough to find an XCE though.

Members who have read this thread: 0