loud hubs save lives

sultan air can advice

I'm on a TNT sultan and weigh about 200lbs.

A couple months ago i switched over to the standard volume can, from the HV to prevent bottoming and because i felt i was always half way through the travel.

However i just threw a pair of 5.5 rockers on the bike. So now i'm curious with my new leverage ration if i should stay on the progressive standard can, or possibly try to shim my HV?

Obviously i'll probably try both, but i will be out of town this weekend, and am going to pisgah shortly after that ... so i'll have very limited time to test/swap.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. thx.

Bite Me.
    I run the HV can with a shim and much prefer it to the LV can. I'm about 180 and use the 5.1 Spot rockers.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

loud hubs save lives
    thx cutty. I liked the way the HV felt, but did not like the bottom out or blowing through my travel.

i've read the longer rockers offer a less harsh bottom and a firmer initial feel ... which is what i was trying to achieve with the LV can anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I run the HV can with a shim and much prefer it to the LV can. I'm about 180 and use the 5.1 Spot rockers.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster
    thx cutty. I liked the way the HV felt, but did not like the bottom out or blowing through my travel.

i've read the longer rockers offer a less harsh bottom and a firmer initial feel ... which is what i was trying to achieve with the LV can anyway.
    My experience was a little different. With the stock HV can and stock rockers I was using too much travel and bottoming a lot. Adding the 5.5 rockers made that worse so I switched to the LV can. That solved the BO issue but the initial compliance suffered and the ride felt too harsh and progessive. I opted to go back to the HV can with a shim and tried out the shorter 5.1 rockers. The mix seems perfect for me - I get great small bump sensitivity all the way through mid-stroke but I no longer bottom except on really big hits or hard landings. The o-ring is at the bottom of the shaft but seldom goes off it. I think the 5.5s added too much leverage for the 1.5" stroke shock (plus I was getting tire to seat tube contact with the Rampages). I sold the 5.5s. I had the 5.1s in a box and the shim was free. You can get 5.1s for practically free if you want to try them out.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Members who have read this thread: 0