Thread: Sultan 27.5plus

mtbr member

Sultan 27.5plus

Does anyone know if all Sultan's be comverted to 27.5 plus, or only certain versions?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bondseye; 01-20-2018 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Should be all of them. There werenít any changes to the sultan frames save for a change from 9mm QR axle to a thru axle.

27.5+ wheels have a slightly smaller overall diameter than 29ers. So the only obstacle to running 27.5+ on any 29er is in terms of clearance for tire width. And turners have always had that in spades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Before the Sultan disappeared there were a few with 27.5 plus rolling around. I can't find any of those old threads other than a pic of Dave riding one.

Anyone have first hand experience? What is the widest tire that will fit?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Sultan B+

Here are a few pictures I have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sultan 27.5plus-sultan-fattie.jpg  

Sultan 27.5plus-sultan-fattie-1.jpg  

Sultan 27.5plus-sultan.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rode mine with both 2.8 and 3.0 tires - the 3.0 was very close in the rear, Give it a shot I had a blast riding mine!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Converted mine as well and really wanted to like it - but in the end it was kind of meh. Part of the problem for me was the plus tires - absolutely scary on mud that the 29er would roll over without an issue. Also, unless there was relatively high psi in the tires (18-20) they would tend to roll on off-camber stuff, which was fairly annoying. And, more than that, it just didn't ride that well. It was fine, mobetta on dry roots and some rough terrain, but if you are looking for a "this is so much more fun that it used to be" experience, you might be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode my Sultan with 2.8 Rocket Ronís on Easton Heist 30 27.5 rims for the past year and a half. They fit well in the frame but I did have to move my chainline out to accommodate the width of the Rocket Ron.

I enjoyed the ride of the plus wheels, they gripped really well. I did miss the slightly larger 29er wheels though and I just last night switched over to new wheels. Sunringle Duroc 35 with Maxxis 29 x 2.6 tires. I wanted a little larger diameter with the grip of the plus tires so I am trying something new. FYI the 2.6 tires rub the front of the rear triangle (too large a diameter) if they are inflated near max psi.

banned
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfib View Post
    I rode my Sultan with 2.8 Rocket Ronís on Easton Heist 30 27.5 rims for the past year and a half. They fit well in the frame but I did have to move my chainline out to accommodate the width of the Rocket Ron.

I enjoyed the ride of the plus wheels, they gripped really well. I did miss the slightly larger 29er wheels though and I just last night switched over to new wheels. Sunringle Duroc 35 with Maxxis 29 x 2.6 tires. I wanted a little larger diameter with the grip of the plus tires so I am trying something new. FYI the 2.6 tires rub the front of the rear triangle (too large a diameter) if they are inflated near max psi.
    What tire are you running?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammit View Post
    What tire are you running?
    I tried to run a Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6 on the rear but the diameter is too large and it rubs on the frame even at lower psi after the tire stretched out.

banned
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderfib View Post
    I tried to run a Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6 on the rear but the diameter is too large and it rubs on the frame even at lower psi after the tire stretched out.
    hm...thx.

Have you tried the 2.6 in other models?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammit View Post
    hm...thx.

Have you tried the 2.6 in other models?
    I have not, I looked into getting a 29 x 2.6 Knobby Nic. By what I can find in forums and articles. It is from 749mm-751mm @ 16-20 psi at either a 30mm or 35mm ID rim, I am not sure which. It would be smaller than the 758mm I measured on the Rekon on a 30mm id rim after it had stretched and filled to 20psi. The Nic could potentially fit a little better. But at this point I want to get riding again so I just bought a Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4 to put on the rear wheel.
    Last edited by Raiderfib; 02-05-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Bad grammer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sold the Sultan frame and moved the parts to an RFX - wow!! The RFX is night and day better than the 27.5 Sultan.