SRAM X.9 Drivetrain or Shimano XT Drivetrain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

SRAM X.9 Drivetrain or Shimano XT Drivetrain

Hi Again Guys! I just want to get your feedback and the Hi & Lo's of this specific product that i intend to use. I know they are both different in their own Specs. I just hope to get the best recommendation and judgement on the product from you guys.

Thanks again for your help and advise. It really helps alot! . . .

RIDE SAFE!!!

No, that's not phonetic
    You are kidding, right?

Ok, I'll state the obvious. Sram.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-30-2006 at 11:07 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You are kidding, right?

Ok, I'll stat the obvious. Sram.
    To quote Squeak on this one:

"I like mint ice cream"
    Astigmatic Visionary

Obsessed
    Don't pooch the dog.

(Did I use that correctly, CC?)
    Confit de canard

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    Don't pooch the dog.

(Did I use that correctly, CC?)
    your visa has been cancelled. try again.

ive been a shimano guy for a long, long time. i did the x 9 thing for the 1st time last year and liked it. last month i had the pleasure of ridin the new x 9 and i bought it. if my plan works ill be buildin another bike soon and that too will run sram. i now prefer the more positive feel of the shifter, the shorter throw and the single directional paddles. good stuff. wanna buy some xtr?

ps: i still run shimano cranks. new '07 xt's and old '00 xtr's
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Love the shifter feel of the SRAM stuff. Could be coinkee-dink, but buddies that run SRAM seem -- no statistically significant analysis here -- to break a lot of rear derailers.

Personally, I run XTR, and it can't be beat when paired with XT cranks.

I guess I should add EIGHT SPEED xtr!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Lay off the Levers
    SRAM no question.
    I've had three bikes setup with XT and XTR later changed two setups to SRAM. The SRAM stuff has always been easier to setup, maintain and tune. It has always held a tune much longer and has been way easier to tweak. It has been easier to install a cable in the Shimano pods but the new SRAM pods might have fixed that.

I've broken 2-3 XTR Rders and have an XO I've beaten the snot out of for 2yrs and it's still as crisp and accurate as the new X.9 on my other bike. The SRAM stuff is much quieter when it comes to der slap on rough terrain. My XTR sounded like it was trying to beat itself to death.

I have no idea how the SRAM fders have improved or not. XT cranksets are great! I also like the XT and XTR cassettes but have broken several of both. I haven't tried the SRAM cassettes. I've had good luck with the Shimano chains and use the SRAM quick link on them.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    I'm a SRAM guy. Originally built my 5 Spot with XT, seemed to get occaisional ghost shifts so I tried x.9 shifters & derailleur. 3 years with no problems, what else can you say.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I have broken more than a few X9 der's, my XO I bought a few years back held up fine for 2 seasons but the X9's have not. I love the performance of the Sram der's but since they raised the price of the XO, I have not been happy with the durability of the X9's

Larry sent me 2 of the '07 X9's with the forged pieces like the XO's, they look much nicer and appear to be more like the XO's, unfortunately I smacked a rock on the 3rd or 4th ride of one of them and bent the piece that bolts to the hanger, the same piece that broke off completely on previous X9's, the der shifts like **** now but I guess it was pilot error, although my XO held up to many similiar impacts.

I would give Shimano a vote for durability, unless you have the cash to pop for the XO.

Kiwi that Flew
    Sram rear mechs are way better and dont slap around on your chainstays like shimano's do.

Peace & Love
    definitely SRAM X7, as it is available in all black, unlike X9

Bite Me.
    SRAM all the way for shifters and derailleurs. XT cranks and cassettes (or XTR if you're weight conscious) and XTR chain. Bomber combination. The ergonomics of the SRAM thumb shifters is much better than Shimano IMO.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My vote for SRAM. I have been riding Shimano for over 10 years and in the last 3 have switched to SRAM. I will never go back to Shimano after riding SRAM. Faster, quieter, and more positive shifting on the SRAM, IMO. Durability wise, I haven't had any real trouble with either.

Best advice I can give is go to one of your LBS and ride a bike with a Shimano setup and SRAM setup and see how each feels and shifts for yourself. That is always the best way to decide on anything.

trail fairy
    znarf420 buddy I suggest ya have a good look at the Spot data base you'll see there the hands down winner

SRAM

Dude also why not post a I want specc and get the Homers to give it the approval rating a post for every aspect is gonna sure confuse ya, only my thoughts.

I specc my bikes 2 ways 5inches below and 6inches above

5inches below

Forks - RS, Pace at the mo hehe
    Shocks -FOX
    Drive train -SRAM
    Brakes - Forumla, Magura
    Cranks - Race Face
    Cockpit - Thomson, Easton bars
    Wheels - Rims DT/Stans, Hubs King / I9 /Hope /DT spokes

6inches above
    Forks - Marzocchi
    Shocks - Cane creek, Fox maybe, and depending on frame type
    Drive train -SRAM
    Brakes - Forumla, Magura
    Cranks - Race Face
    Cockpit - Thomson, Raceface/Diety
    Wheels - Rims DT/Sun, Hubs Hadley / I9 /Hope/DT Spokes straight

This is what Ive found works for me in terms of reliability and long term wear, I avoid mixing and matching drivetrain components a big no no in my book.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    The SRAM stuff has always been easier to setup, maintain and tune. It has always held a tune much longer and has been way easier to tweak. It has been easier to install a cable in the Shimano pods but the new SRAM pods might have fixed that.
    ya got me all curious zilla, so i grabbed my new x 9 pods outta the build box and checked it out. they done good! unscrew and remove the largeish thumb wheel on the front side followed by the cover, push the return spring down and out of the way of the cable end, push the cable out by hand from the der side, replace cable, button it all up and wall-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! no tools needed, none, unlike the teeny tiny screws on the shimanos that require a jewlers phillips screwdriver and some very careful fingers. now try that trailside with the x 9's and smell the love!

id be super happy to see a barrel adjuster on the r der of all sram stuff. shimano has em nailed on this one if ya ask me. its a far better fine tune than at the pod and normally easer to get to as the area on the bars gets cluttered and makes it hard to get fingers in.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

id be super happy to see a barrel adjuster on the r der of all sram stuff. shimano has em nailed on this one if ya ask me. its a far better fine tune than at the pod and normally easer to get to as the area on the bars gets cluttered and makes it hard to get fingers in.
    One thing about the Sram stuff is it requires much less cable tension with the 1:1, I think thats what makes it shift better cause it's lighter action and there's less cable/housing friction issues that way, the barrell adj at the shifter has always been enough for me at least, I've been running the stuff since ESP, '97 or '98 I think, prior to that the gripshift sucked cause it was paired with Shimano der's and the 2:1 ratio.

No, that's not phonetic
    You are kidding, right?
    Like I said...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    You must be doing it wrong CC

Have to disagree with ya here, if ya set ya H&L correctly its easier to adjust in 2 seconds flat and thats it no more flaffing around my badj are easy to adjust on the trail XO and X9 07 are sweet if needed, if ya have to do something else its a chain issue or a wear issue on the cable or rings, not the setup and adjust mech, good SRAM please don't follow Shimanos setup otherwise I for one will go internal gearbox

No dis CC we just differ on Sram and Shimano I sold my shares in Shimano when the flippy floppy crap came out now my shares are in Sram ya gotta love it huh

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bite Me.
    You two are starting to sound alike even when you disagree, and that's a bit scary.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

my position on it is the closer a barrel adjuster is to the anchor point on the der, the less its affected by the natural stretch of said cable under tension, therefore makin the dial in that much more accurate. that bein said, the 1:1 ratio of the sram stuff is less affected out of the box. but how dialed would it, could it be with a adjustment point here? id like to know.

wrong? dont think so ta but ill go with different. and yes, proper h and l limits are key. without them the der will never tune correctly no matter how many adjustment points ya have or where they are. not many folks dig this so im glad to see you embrace the concept.

ps: just in case ya misunderstood, this is the only point i can think of where shimano has sram in a corner. but i still like rapid rise on well damped med to short travel duallys.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    That brings up another valid point about the Sram der's, the H/L screws, mainly the high screw is prone to rock hits, it sticks out and I've hit it a few times thus preventing the der from dropping down to the smaller cogs, it's easily fixed by pressing it back in place but still. When setup correctly on a Turner, the X9's low screw can also come into contact on the der BEFORE the high screw does thus preventing it from droping to the smallest cog, this has happened to me on several of the X9's, I had to file down some material to allow it to drop on one. Take a look at how close the low screw is to touching the der when in the smallest cog/high gear and you will see what I'm talking about, I'm surprised no one else has experienced this, or mentioned it.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I have broken more than a few X9 der's, my XO I bought a few years back held up fine for 2 seasons but the X9's have not. I love the performance of the Sram der's but since they raised the price of the XO, I have not been happy with the durability of the X9's

Larry sent me 2 of the '07 X9's with the forged pieces like the XO's, they look much nicer and appear to be more like the XO's, unfortunately I smacked a rock on the 3rd or 4th ride of one of them and bent the piece that bolts to the hanger, the same piece that broke off completely on previous X9's, the der shifts like **** now but I guess it was pilot error, although my XO held up to many similiar impacts.

I would give Shimano a vote for durability, unless you have the cash to pop for the XO.
    Maybe you need a Saint rr der. I have been thinking about trying one of these now that they are blowing them out. Supposed to be less slap-happy and totally bomb-proof. I am just curious as to the spring tension/strength which is what some of my sram pushing buddies say is where shimano falls short.

Anyone ever run one?

Team Blindspot
    Like I said...

Ok, Ok, Ok

I like Mint Chocolate chip too
    Astigmatic Visionary

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Maybe you need a Saint rr der. I have been thinking about trying one of these now that they are blowing them out. Supposed to be less slap-happy and totally bomb-proof. I am just curious as to the spring tension/strength which is what some of my sram pushing buddies say is where shimano falls short.

Anyone ever run one?
    Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about the Saint setup, I want to build another wheelset thats a little lighter than my Sun Ringle wheels and I want to try it on these, problem is I will want to use the heavier wheels for some occasions and switching between setups will be a pain, so I'm not 100% sold yet, might try one of the der guards instead.

I'm unusually hard on ders/hangers though, my sloppy riding and chunky terrain I guess

mtbr member

X9 is way less finicky

i went from an xt to x9 rear derailleur and it is way less finicky with no ghost shifts in over a yr - with xt on my spot i ghost shifted 20 times a ride.....my only issue with x9's is since i got them i have broken 3 derailleur hangars.with xt i didn't break 1 ever.......i have xt front derailleur and cassette for what it is worth

trail fairy
    my position on it is the closer a barrel adjuster is to the anchor point on the der, the less its affected by the natural stretch of said cable under tension, therefore makin the dial in that much more accurate. that bein said, the 1:1 ratio of the sram stuff is less affected out of the box. but how dialed would it, could it be with a adjustment point here? id like to know.
    Ya hit it on the nail 1:1 ration is the key theres not allot of adjustment needed but hay I run RF cranks, I do my own chains so I get the right alignment to begin with and the rest is history hence why Im not a Shimano fan this to me eliminates all the hassles and varibles the mix shimano and sram can cause, and ive been ushing don't mixn match for 3years now lol, I guess the main thing is it works for me and Ive got my buddies switched over so we have very little trail issues now thank gd as I was always having to fix there Shimano issues now we can just ride yeahhaa..
    The barrell adjuster just helps when the cables stretch a little course the other thing people adjust before checking is the d Hanger if its bent forget it, again Sram is very tolerent of this and will still run

wrong? dont think so ta but ill go with different. and yes, proper h and l limits are key. without them the der will never tune correctly no matter how many adjustment points ya have or where they are. not many folks dig this so im glad to see you embrace the concept.
    Hehe I believe ya thousands wouldn't

ps: just in case ya misunderstood, this is the only point i can think of where shimano has sram in a corner. but i still like rapid rise on well damped med to short travel duallys.
    Yeah each to his own I used to think that way once until I was Sramed now I like my normal rise and sram shifting which think suits trail and going big applications better, rapid rise is god for XC racing still maybe not convinced

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    ....my only issue with x9's is since i got them i have broken 3 derailleur hangars.with xt i didn't break 1 ever......
    That's beacuse with X9 your riding hard'a and fast'a !

Members who have read this thread: 0