It's carbon dontcha know.

Squeaking main pivot - Burner

My Burner picked up an almost constant squeaking yesterday...After I'd just serviced the rear shock.

In taking apart and checking possible sources it seems to be the main pivot. With it disconnected with the bolts out and moving the rear of the bike there's no noise from the DW link.

Main pivot NDS rocker has lost the black anodizing from rubbing the bushing, DS rocker has not. There doesn't seem to be any play from the pivot shaft inside the bushing that I can tell and a caliper measurement suggests the pivot shaft is the tiniest amount longer than the width between the outsides of the bushings.

As soon as I tighten one bolt in the main pivot to 10ftlb and cycle the rear it's squeaking.

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Does your rear triangle line up with front triangle?

If they do not line up, I bet your seat stay DW bushings are wearing one sided also?

It lines up, the NDS seatstay pivot does have a fraction more play than the DS...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Time for a new RFX!

Yay! Bikes !
    maybe measure the pivot shaft and give DT a call, perhaps it's out of spec and he can help figure out a solution.

After having Jarett on the phone for a while helping, I'd then thought it was dry seat-stay pivots, the pivot shaft grooves were seemingly dirty and not allowing the injected grease to do its job.

But that wasn't it.

Next up after I let Jarett get back to work was the rear DW link pivot seemed slightly stiff. After wrestling the hexlock pivots apart they both had the same issues as the stays, grease wasn't getting to where it needed to.

I've cleaned and greased and the back garden test says no hoards of mice hiding in my frame. Time for a test ride to see if it's solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    After having Jarett on the phone for a while helping, I'd then thought it was dry seat-stay pivots, the pivot shaft grooves were seemingly dirty and not allowing the injected grease to do its job.

But that wasn't it.

Next up after I let Jarett get back to work was the rear DW link pivot seemed slightly stiff. After wrestling the hexlock pivots apart they both had the same issues as the stays, grease wasn't getting to where it needed to.

I've cleaned and greased and the back garden test says no hoards of mice hiding in my frame. Time for a test ride to see if it's solved.
    Jarett and the rest of the boys at Turner are awesome. Thanks for the heads up, hope that fixes it. Here in Hawaii it is VERY wet and muddy. Amazes me how often I am re-lubing my pivots to keep the creaking at bay.

Name:  great success.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  35.0 KB

I do lube the pivots on the bike with the appropriate super lube, the problem seemed to be very dirty grease that was just stuck in the grooves on the pivot shafts and wasn't lubing anything or working its way out. Which is annoying as I always clean the zerks before servicing them. The seat stay and rear DW ones were basically dry, that's where my mouse squeaks were coming from. I'd thought it was my rear shock due for a service.

Fresh cleaned pivots and fresh grease has definitely done the trick, no more squeaks, tested with a 13 miles ride having 2100ft of climbing to make sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hate to bring this successful thread down, and glad your ride is quiet again. But.. most Burners are being ridden hard, and that means there is a possibility that a squeek or creak it a cracked frame. CHECK your frames (and your friends frames) rarely do frames just break, they crack first and over the course of multiple rides the crack migrates giving the observant plenty of time to see it and stop riding.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Hate to bring this successful thread down, and glad your ride is quiet again. But.. most Burners are being ridden hard, and that means there is a possibility that a squeek or creak it a cracked frame. CHECK your frames (and your friends frames) rarely do frames just break, they crack first and over the course of multiple rides the crack migrates giving the observant plenty of time to see it and stop riding.

DT
    You know, I just got a new squeak and was surprised because I lube my pivots regularly and the squeak showed up ahead of schedule. Will be checking for any cracks today. DT, where is the most likely place for a crack to develop on the Burner?
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck