Bite Me.

Spot Worship..... Is It Wrong?

After about a year of tweaking the parts list I think I'm finally there - Nirvana on wheels. The bike evolved from the first generation basic build, to fat, burly coil-over bashring beast, and now to it's final hybrid XC/AM form. The thing just rides perfectly now - 5.3 rockers, Pushed RP3 with the HV air sleeve, Fox Talas 32 fork, new XT cranks, Formula K18 hydros, Hope Pro II hubs laced 36 to Velocity VXC rims, new X9 bits. After the last few rides in this configuration I can honestly say this the best feeling bike I have ever had the pleasure to ride. It climbs like a tractor, cruises the rolling terrian like a sports car and descends as solidly as tank (even w/o a 20mm TA ). The construction process was extremely fun, lots of experiments. Just thought I'd share the love.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    I get to ride all the new WunderBikes at the dirt demo every year and I have to say that coming home to my venerable '03 Spot reminds me that I'm not missing anything at all by eschewing that new-fangled non-Euclidean axle-path BS.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Looks good to me, be careful descending in the rocks tho, those QR wheels are for road bikes ya know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Black just never gets old. Just clean it up and it looks amazing again. Your build looks good, and light too- probably a couple of lbs lighter than mine. I like the contrast of the decals.

I have a 2007 and I doubt I'll ever give this one up. I have had mine for only three months but it has seen some epic rides already- snow, rain, dry, loose, hardpack, rocks- sometimes almost all during the same ride. It is so much fun and rides like few bikes can.

Two of my buddies now have the new Spots as well and just rave about them. Thank goodness we all have different colors though. I was getting a bit concerned about that

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Good choice of computer too

not so super...
    Spot Worship..... Is It Wrong?

Nope. Seems quite normal to me!! You gotta try the 5.5 rockers though.
    Nothing to see here.

what...?
    I love my spot. The way it feels, the way it rides, the way it looks. I spend waaay to much time after the ride cleaning and tweeking it and every nite before I go to bed I go out into the garage and just stare at it a while.

My wife keeps suggesting I sleep in the garage.........

Last edited by jmtbkr; 10-30-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Can I share...

The ugly waterbotle ruined my pic but it was a long ride so I needed it. This picture reminds me of a whole day of riding at Winter Park/Fraser. It was something else.

Ridin' in iRie meditation

I've heard the call as well...

I'm a recent convert myself

Last edited by TurnerFred; 11-02-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Out of the 3 Turners I have, the Spot has a special place because it is so damn versatile. Mine's going on about 2 years old right now and is looking forward to a little bit of winter UGI

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Better go find some new rockers and wheels then

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Better go find some new rockers and wheels then
    When I built it originally, I had intended it to be a little burly (as was the fashion at the time). Now it's slowly morphing into an epic ride/trailbike. A little beefier than the Flux, but still able to go do days of 6K+ feet of climbing. To that end, I want to get a new rear shock. Something in a PUSH'd RP-23 will do nicely. After that, some of the new Easton MX 175 bars to replace the Monkeylite DH bars that are on there now. To go with the bars will be a new, lighter stem than the old Thomson Elite. It weighs in right at 28 lbs now. I'd like to have it close to 27 when I'm done.

I like the balance with the Revelation fork and the 5.3 rockers. Not sure I'm feeling the motivation to change. If I could find a 140mm thru-axle that weighed under 4 lbs, I would re-think the fork/rocker setup. As far as the wheels go, you can have my I9's when you pry them from my cold dead hands .

Then again, this may all magically turn into a Sultan in a few months...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great Looking Bike

Is that a Talas 32 or 36?

Bite Me.
    It's a Talas 32R not a 36. I am very pleased with the fork. I had a Nixon coil on there previously with the firm spring kit - it was super plush and never bottomed out, but even with the firmer spring it had a tendency to brake dive at speed. The Talas exhibits none of the Nixon's bad habits, but still is extremely sensitive to small hits and trail chatter with plenty of BO resistance. It cut over a pound off the bike's weight (now +/-28lbs depending on the rubber). So far it has been reliable, but I only have around 125 miles on it. The Revelation is also a nice fork, but I liked the 140mm option on the Fox.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    those QR wheels are for road bikes ya know
    so are those tires!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    so are those tires!
    Actually, I only ride on paved bike paths in perfect weather anyway, so they're probably a little too big. Those Refugees are claimed to be 2.3s, but they're perfect for around here - for Fruita and Moab I still like the Sturdys the best.

Weapon of Choice
    [ (even w/o a 20mm TA ).

Yeah but you really should try the TA

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Actually, I only ride on paved bike paths in perfect weather anyway...
    better safe than sorry .
    and I know sorry...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

To UGI or not to UGI

I went through a winter of 4" bike buildup madness and finally realized my Reborn Burner (in it's present incarnation) is about the perfect 4" trailbike. You've come to the same realization with your 5"+ Spot. About that Talas...

If you could have dialed out your Revelation to 140mm would that have worked out as well as the Fox? Sorta like a Pike without the TA. If such a thing is possible to envision. The reason I ask is...

I have a Fox 32 100 RLC sitting in a box awaiting my next build that will only ever require 100mm of travel. I'm just sorta guessing that your Talas performs comparably, but I have to say I never preferred the Fox over a Reba (100mm compared to 100mm). I can never get more than 2 1/2-3" MAX out of the RLC without a ton of sag. Too much sag. I imagine 3" of quality stiff travel is worth it for an XC racer...the Reba gives me more adjustability.

Who knows, maybe a 5.5 Spot will come my way over the winter and I need to have a handle on worthy 5.5" forks.
    Last edited by xcguy; 10-31-2007 at 06:21 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I went through a winter of 4" bike buildup madness and finally realized my Reborn Burner (in it's present incarnation) is about the perfect 4" trailbike). You've come to the same realization with your 5"+ Spot. About that Talas...

If you could have dialed out your Revelation to 140mm would that have worked out as well as the Fox? Sorta like a Pike without the TA. If such a thing is possible to envision. The reason I ask is...

I have a Fox 32 100 RLC sitting in a box awaiting my next build that will only ever require 100mm of travel. I'm just sorta guessing that your Talas performs comparably, but I have to say I never preferred the Fox over a Reba (100mm compared to 100mm). I can never get more than 2 1/2-3" MAX out of the RLC without a ton of sag. Too much sag. I imagine 3" of quality stiff travel is worth it for an XC racer...the Reba gives me more adjustability.

Who knows, maybe a 5.5 Spot will come my way over the winter and I need to have a handle on worthy 5.5" forks.
    XC - I've ridden both the Revelation and the Fox, although the Rev is on my Burner not the Spot while the Reba is back at SRAM getting repaired (different story). Both forks are excellent and ride very much the same IMO and are dead even at 4lbs each. I have been a real fan of RockShox stuff since the Reba first came out. Immensely tunable, almost overly so. I have not been a fan of the Fox stuff, but took a gamble on a good deal for the new Talas. I intially opted to get the Revelation but the Fox surprised me.

The Rev rides 5mm higher in A/C at any given setting than the Fox. At full 130mm on the Rev you're at 508 a/c which is slightly higher than the spec of 501 for the pre-07 Spot. I Iiked a little slacker HT angle overall and the Rev delivered that - what the Rev lacked was the ability to slacken even more. The Nixon spoiled me being able to go out to 145mm - the Spot feels so stable on descents wound out like that, and I got hooked. The Fox, even with a 5mm shorter AC gets the full 5.5" and the A/C of 513 - slackens the HT angle to about 68.5 degrees - really comfy. The limitation on the Fox is only 3 settings 140, 120 or 100. Surprisingly, the Spot rails at 120, great for single track. Mine's an R version - I found with the Reba that I mostly ran the floodgate wide open with no compression, so the lack of an RLC option was not a concern. You can dial in compression with some fine tuning of the air.

As for a Spot 5.5 - that's my next ride after the current Spot gets retired. The Fox would work on that bike, but not be the ideal fork IMO - the AC is about right (Spec is 515 Fox is 513). The Revelation would be too short. The added travel of the new Spot obviously begs for a fork that would adjust from 125 to 155 - and a TA of course.

Dishwasher Safe
    Say, that's a pretty spiffy build you got there. Nice!

mtbr member

Hv Rp3?

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    - 5.3 rockers, Pushed RP3 with the HV air sleeve
    Cutthroat,
    Did the high volume sleevve change much in the feel of the bike? Anyone else switch their RP3 form low to high vol.?

Thanks for any info. Bike looks great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The HV sleeve works really well on mine and is very compliant on small and medium bumps. I'm 180 and get full travel minus 2mm at 165-170 psi. However, I think I'll try the regular sleeve and see what the difference is.

Big Test Icycles
    More love for the 5 Spot. I switched out to the DHXc and the PIke, thinking about the PUSH rockers now. This is always the go to bike, it just rides so well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I see one more 3 ring circus on an alleged "mountain bike" I'm going to puke.

"Yay! Let's bomb this pavement back to my Subaru Forester!"

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I'm going to puke.
    Sorry, but could you elaborate on what needs to be done to bring this to pass?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

~~~~~~~~
    If I see one more 3 ring circus on an alleged "mountain bike" I'm going to puke.

uhh, Subaru Forester?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Always a pleasure, DB

I got my coffee at hand, I'm reading congenial discussion on a great bike...and then there's you chiming in. I just can never tell if it's your particular brand of humor (and everyone else on the Turner board enjoys it) or you're actually serious. Can anyone else please enlighten me on DB's motives for such posts?

Toby Wong?

pwned
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

illiterate or intoxicated

SoCal

Hey Dusty, I do not live in So Cal. I have three chain rings on my 5 Spot.

My house is about 3 miles from National Forest Service trails. I ride my bike from my house to the trails and back home again. I use the big ring on the road to and from the trail head. I often wonder why people drive their cars to the trail head. Maybe it takes them too long to ride to trail head spinning in their double chainring set up.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

banned

Here, the alleged mountain bikers and conscientious environmentalists are all driving SUV's, V10 pickups that never see a day of work duty, and vans, for that one day a year possibility they may need it.

A Subaru is way too practical around here and in honesty, would be welcome because at the least, I'll be able to see if the car in front of the SUV in front of me is slamming on the brakes.

Can't wait to see $5/gallon gas prices for these fools that are still buying them.

Back to the bikes- A triple is foreign to me. It only takes a few rides to start building up leg speed. Even had a bash on my Flux. No need for a triple around here, but plenty of need for clearing logs.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Now now Dusty, be nice A triple is very functional on a XC/trail bike in the mtns

Dishwasher Safe
    Funny, back in the day I used to run a 52 tooth big ring on the same trails dusty rides today with a 34. Why? Because I like going fast. Sullivan Ridge was one of my favorites, with the 52 tooth I could hit 44 MPH; impossible with a 42 (just spinout) let alone a 34. I often get into the big ring on climbs as well, on Backbone, Space Mountain, Chesebro, all of them. I for the life of me can't figure out why anyone wouldn't want a big ring; it just makes for a more versatile ride. I further can't understand the need for chuckle-headed dimwits to put other people down for setting up their bike in a way that works best for them. Small minds, small thoughts? Or maybe it's just easier to be a sheep...

Some very nice rides being posted BTW... Keep 'em coming, 3-rings and all!

tg
    mtbr member

for the love of 5-spot

Hands down the most FUN bike I have ever had

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    I'm going to puke.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    ...could you elaborate on what needs to be done to bring this to pass?
    Allow me,
    Hold.... Still.... Dusty!!!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I regularly ride away from my 2 ringed buddies on longer descents while on the Burner, there's one descent in particular that really pisses them off cause they have more suspension, it's great, and worth every rock smack

Big Test Icycles

Since he posted his retarted comment right after my three ring circus of a bike, I'll pipe in. I have hesetated posting a picture of my spot on this forum since day one. I always knew that some "Homer" would pipe up and say you cant be in our club because your bike is Silver or has flat pedals or does not measure up to our up to date parts list. You dont even know me, how I ride or where I ride so to make a comment on how a persons bike is specd out is very "Homer" of you. I'm sure you will have some smart ass "Homer" response but that will just be part of a "Homer" thread. I'm sure you look at other forums on MTBR, you see very little "Bike Bashing" just because it does not look like yours. BTW, my bash guard is sitting on my work bench, I swapped it out just before that pic because I was going on an extended XC ride. Now can I be in the club. Your type of responses are the reason people laugh at the Turner forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    Funny, back in the day I used to run a 52 tooth big ring on the same trails dusty rides today with a 34. Why? Because I like going fast. Sullivan Ridge was one of my favorites, with the 52 tooth I could hit 44 MPH; impossible with a 42 (just spinout) let alone a 34. I often get into the big ring on climbs as well, on Backbone, Space Mountain, Chesebro, all of them. I for the life of me can't figure out why anyone wouldn't want a big ring; it just makes for a more versatile ride. I further can't understand the need for chuckle-headed dimwits to put other people down for setting up their bike in a way that works best for them. Small minds, small thoughts? Or maybe it's just easier to be a sheep...

Some very nice rides being posted BTW... Keep 'em coming, 3-rings and all!
    52! Holy pizza dish! I ride a 36/24 and admittedly spin out on Jedi. Versatility comes in different flavors...I'd rather glide over trail obstacles than maximize my fire road bombing experience. I could buy a cx bike for that.

Lay off the Levers

And with that reply,

Quote Originally Posted by jmac-attack
    I'm sure you will have some smart ass "Homer" response but that will just be part of a "Homer" thread. I'm sure you look at other forums on MTBR, you see very little "Bike Bashing" just because it does not look like yours. BTW, my bash guard is sitting on my work bench, I swapped it out just before that pic because I was going on an extended XC ride. Now can I be in the club?
    Heh, heh... grab a mugh brah...you'll fit right in.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I could buy a cx bike for that.
    You don't have a cross bike? tsk tsk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    Your type of responses are the reason people laugh at the Turner forum.
    So it's working!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think a lot of this is done in jest but some people can take it a bit seriously. It's just the brand of humor some have here. I don't care if I have one ring or four, a GD or carbon post, a Romic or CCDB- I'll still post up and I still enjoy the humor and the "criticism.". We ride the best-riding bikes and if someone laughs, it's probably because they wish they could. We don't see too many Ventana and Knolly guys getting all wound up over the Homer forum. It's because they ride great bikes too and don't have to feel insecure and "make fun" of the Turner forum. Yeah, envy is more like it for those that do. Tough luck

Now, enough derailing and back to Spot worship please.....

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Cutthroat,
    Did the high volume sleevve change much in the feel of the bike? Anyone else switch their RP3 form low to high vol.?.
    Yes - I had the RP3 Pushed when I swapped out for the 5.3 rockers, but still wasn't getting full travel unless I ran tons of sag. The mid-range was not as compliant as I wanted and I needed to run more rebound damping than I liked. I was surprised because the Push RP3 on the Burner was perfect with the standard can. I swapped the HV sleeve off the DHX and it solved all the problems. I need to run a bit higher pressure to keep from bottoming, but the mid-stroke performance is great. The rear wheel just follows the terrain, and I can run the rebound much faster. I think I'm about at the top of the scale for this rig though at 185# in gear. Heavier riders or big droppers bottom out or experience too much wallow - for me it's perfect. The standard can is now on the DHX.

I also tried a bashring, but it gave up too much speed in exchange for the times I hit the big ring on rocks or logs. On rolling terrain (particularly something like the Monarch Crest Trail) I would have been miles behind the crew if I didn't have the 44. The big ring grind is addictive., but bashrings certainly have their place

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Turner forum is different

So it's working!
    I post on the Santa Cruz forum, Chumba, Rider Down, and yes, Turner, and you all here are different. It's like Fo and DB have appointed themselves Honorary Court Jesters and just feel the need to burst into our midst and just spout something, anything, and know we will then go back and forth, generated by whatever ridiculous comment comes out of their keyboards. The difference to me between Fo and DB is that DB has actually posted meaningful, knowledgeable stuff before so I know he's no Fo.

I still don't understand the Court Jester aspect to their personalities and again wonder if the majority of Homers actually relish this give-and-take. I can't imagine cuttroat started this thread with the hopes that Fo or DB would again burst in and hijack it.

Dishwasher Safe
    52! Holy pizza dish! I ride a 36/24 and admittedly spin out on Jedi. Versatility comes in different flavors...I'd rather glide over trail obstacles than maximize my fire road bombing experience. I could buy a cx bike for that.

Now, now Dusty, you know darn well Sullivan Ridge is NOT a fire road. In fact, of the 3 ways down (the ridge, canyon & fireroad), the ridge is by far the most technically challenging (which really isn't saying all that much). I've NEVER bombed the fireroad; way too boring, and irresponsible/dangerous with all the blind turns.

As far as trail obstacles and needing a bash guard, out of all the trails in the Santa Monica's, I can think of only two fallen logs in Sullivan Canyon, and, IIRC, there's a rock at the top of Suicide that eats big rings. I'd say 99.99% of the riding in all of the Santa Monica's can be done easily without a bash guard. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I'd feel a little foolish riding with one.

Bite Me.
    Bashrings are just a crutch for people who can't handle calf wounds.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I can't imagine cuttroat started this thread with the hopes that Fo or DB would again burst in and hijack it.
    Doesn't bother me in the least - it's CF who I really really miss.

rr
    I don't do PC
    No sh!t, I wish Fo and DB would quit giving the homers such a bad name

~~~~~~~~
    Funny, back in the day I used to run a 52 tooth big ring...
    that is funny to think about, in fact I think I still have the 50 I used to run on my fully rigid bike back in the 80's and I never even did the kamikazee.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I rode the Kamikazi in 1990, was at Mammoth on vacation and checking out the Natl's that year, I was on a fully rigid Fuji with crappy tires, also had a computer and hit 47mph, I stopped pedaling towards the top and wore out my brakes and forearms hanging on. Tomac was on a fully rigid and won it with a speed of nearly 60mph I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Now, now Dusty, you know darn well Sullivan Ridge is NOT a fire road. In fact, of the 3 ways down (the ridge, canyon & fireroad), the ridge is by far the most technically challenging (which really isn't saying all that much). I've NEVER bombed the fireroad; way too boring, and irresponsible/dangerous with all the blind turns.

As far as trail obstacles and needing a bash guard, out of all the trails in the Santa Monica's, I can think of only two fallen logs in Sullivan Canyon, and, IIRC, there's a rock at the top of Suicide that eats big rings. I'd say 99.99% of the riding in all of the Santa Monica's can be done easily without a bash guard. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I'd feel a little foolish riding with one.
    I dunno man, the canyon has really stepped up it's game and is littered with 2 foot drops! The ridge(jedi) was scraped over the summer and the new line being burned in is starighter & faster than ever. Can you fedex me your 52t pie dish?

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I rode the Kamikazi in 1990, was at Mammoth on vacation and checking out the Natl's that year, I was on a fully rigid Fuji with crappy tires, also had a computer and hit 47mph, I stopped pedaling towards the top and wore out my brakes and forearms hanging on. Tomac was on a fully rigid and won it with a speed of nearly 60mph I think.
    Yeah the old Kamikaze was easily a 50+ MPH course. I raced it once but got a rear flat near the top (before the long straight). People didn't start passing me until the flat section at the bottom though, so even with the flat tire I was moving at a pretty good clip. I never went back partly because of the four hour drive, but also because there were so many people (this was a national as well) I only got one practice run before the race. Four hours is too far for two runs down the mountain; it was a blast though!

I dunno man, the canyon has really stepped up it's game and is littered with 2 foot drops! The ridge(jedi) was scraped over the summer and the new line being burned in is starighter & faster than ever. Can you fedex me your 52t pie dish?
    LOL!!! The last time I rode the canyon was after the big rains a year or two ago, and it was A LOT of fun. There's actually a 6+ footer in there if you know where to look, and a couple 3 and 4 footers as well.

The ridge definitely needed work, it'd gotten way to rutty (slow) for my taste. 'Mr Toads Wild Ride' or 'Hectic' has always been my favorite trial there though.

I'll bet you I still have that 52 around somewhere... IINM, I used to run it with a 10 tooth in the back too...!

~~~~~~~~
    Charlie Kelley recently posted this pic from kamikazee #1 1985.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah the old Kamikaze was easily a 50+ MPH course. I raced it once but got a rear flat near the top (before the long straight). People didn't start passing me until the flat section at the bottom though, so even with the flat tire I was moving at a pretty good clip. I never went back partly because of the four hour drive, but also because there were so many people (this was a national as well) I only got one practice run before the race. Four hours is too far for two runs down the mountain; it was a blast though!

LOL!!! The last time I rode the canyon was after the big rains a year or two ago, and it was A LOT of fun. There's actually a 6+ footer in there if you know where to look, and a couple 3 and 4 footers as well.

The ridge definitely needed work, it'd gotten way to rutty (slow) for my taste. 'Mr Toads Wild Ride' or 'Hectic' has always been my favorite trial there though.

I'll bet you I still have that 52 around somewhere... IINM, I used to run it with a 10 tooth in the back too...!
    Ya, the 6 footer into the runoff ditch is fun. "They" actually built another tranny to the left of the original which is spaced further out for speed.

Ah yes...HECTIC. Or do you mean Cookies? There are actually 4 rideable trails into the 818 now... hectic, cookies, smoke out, & cowboy(unfinished). I do brush clearance on these types of trail in the eastern SM's. I did some work on Itchy & Scratchy(upper hectic & cookies) on Sunday. I found and groomed this drop on that side of the hills a while back....

The boulder is so damn big it's hard to gain perspective. Fun stuff!

Dishwasher Safe

Wow! Very cool!

I scanned my shirt after tearing it on a ride. I've been meaning to print one up as a poster:

Dishwasher Safe
    Found this picture online which gives a pretty good idea of how steep it was:

Link to the source of the picture here.

!
    What's the point of the water bottle in the pic? it's not like your going to reach down and just have a sip you know?
    I AM WE TODD DID

I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Someone forgot to tell the dude in jeans that it was a nut hugger lycra party only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Almost everyone is wearing a Bell V1-Pro helmet... the one with the adjustable vent in the front. Nice.

The guy with the jeans is probably riding a single speed.

The suspenders and plastic shell hairnet helmet are good indications of the year. Funny.

Members who have read this thread: 0