Spot or Flux frame with the carry over parts I have?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Spot or Flux frame with the carry over parts I have?

I bought a used 2005 Santa Cruz Blur XC with 2004 Fox Talas 90mm - 130mm with good amount of XTR parts. The wheelset is Mavic 717/hope II rear and XT front hub. I rode it for about 8 months and I found out it's too small for me. I got these crazy quad cramps after just 6 or so miles. I'm 5'8" with 30 inseam and the Blur is a size small. I weight about 150lbs. It did have a setback Thompson seat post and I had the seat all the way back. I just recently pick up a Ibis Mojo with XT build in size medium and it felt much better on the trails for me. I could ride much longer without any cramps.

I want to build up another bike with the parts I have on the Blur XC. I do mostly XC trails. I'm on the east coast. Northern VA to be specific. Consider I already have a mojo. Will a Spot or Flux be a better choice with the parts from my Blur XC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tough call but for that fork, the Flux will be better (100-115). For mostly XC, the Flux wll be faster and easier to ride fast than the Spot. It will also overlap a bit less than the Spot-Mojo so since the Spot-Mojo are both 5.5" bikes, I still say go Flux. Awesome bike too. I have owned both the Flux and the Spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you are set on using the Talas I would say the Flux frame.
    I used my Talas RLC 130mm off my old bike and hated the way my new 08 Spot front end felt.
    A new Pike 454 and it is fantastic now.

In the end I hardly used any of my old parts on the new bike.
    I want a girl in a short skirt and a long jacket--------cake

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Tough call but for that fork, the Flux will be better (100-115). For mostly XC, the Flux wll be faster and easier to ride fast than the Spot. It will also overlap a bit less than the Spot-Mojo so since the Spot-Mojo are both 5.5" bikes, I still say go Flux. Awesome bike too. I have owned both the Flux and the Spot.
    I agree with Flyer, too much overlap between mojo and spot; go for the flux
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    a flux will give you 1 of the biggest trail smiles youll ever experience in yer entire life. and that fork is the shiz on it too. thats what i ran. even sweeter after a overhaul. sweeter still after a push job. toss a super light wheelset at it and dig it! oh, ditch the set back post when ya build up yer new med flux.
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    5'8"? I'm guessing a M. Given what you hae laddie, (especially the fork) I'd say the Flux would be the go to frame. Sweet frame, and loves to go fast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes...a medium frame so I can throw the small blur xc on ebay. Thanks for everyone advice. My thoughts were along the same line. The main issue of having smaller travel fork and already have a Mojo. Flux seems like the ideal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    5'8"? I'm guessing a M. Given what you hae laddie, (especially the fork) I'd say the Flux would be the go to frame. Sweet frame, and loves to go fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0