spot 5 weight- Mtbr.com

Thread: spot 5 weight

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

spot 5 weight

anyone out there got their spot under 26lbs perhaps 25lbs?

mtbr member

25.5 lbs

It's an old horst link bike but it's nice and light. it's built with X9, race face cranks, 2" Titec carbon riser bar, King hubs, Hope seatpost QR clamp and wheel qr, Thompson elite post, Hope 25 degree 70mm stem and 2.4 evolution Schwalbe Nobbi Nic front, Racing Ralph rear tubeless with stans so it could be 25 lbs or less if you backed a dumptruck full of money up tp it; I mean a bigger dumptruck than I used
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nice ride love that color

i going to build one later this year would like to get it around 25lbs

i have all the xtr parts and a spare set of i9 wheels

mtbr member

Sounds light

Thanks, the color looks allmost black in anything but direct sunlite.
    My wheels are a bit lighter than the I9 xc wheels but about 220g heavier than the I9 XC ultralite wheelset according to competitive cyclists bike builder, but the XTR stuff will make up for it if you have the regular XC wheels. Post some pics when you get it done.

... I guess you won't be
    the shock is easily 1/2lb lighter in the upside-down position...

[for what it's worth, my spot is 33lbs! fat, drunk, and happy]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Thanks, the color looks allmost black in anything but direct sunlite.
    My wheels are a bit lighter than the I9 xc wheels but about 220g heavier than the I9 XC ultralite wheelset according to competitive cyclists bike builder, but the XTR stuff will make up for it if you have the regular XC wheels. Post some pics when you get it done.
    i contemplated using kings but since i have the i9 laying around they are the regular xc onces i should use them....

going to put kings on my new ss

Elitest thrill junkie
    Considering that a VERY light XC FS build is around 23lbs, 5spot would be 1.5lbs heavier with the same XC parts. AM fork, rims, tires, brakes, handlebar, saddle will push the weight up pretty fast.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

what...?
    I don't get it.
    My large spot is almost identical in build, except for XMXL wheels and a VanillaR instead of a Bomber, yet my ride weighs almost 30 lbs (29.8)

where is the 4 lb difference???
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, he does have frogs, that can be half a pound or more compared to another pedal setup. Brakes are pretty light too. That saddle doesn't look light at all (most WTBs are pretty heavy). Non-halfpipe gripshifters are pretty light too, but comparatively the half-pipes are heavy.

The difference then would have to be in the wheels/tires and such.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

what...?
    Allright...I'll give you 150g on the pedals and maybe another 150g on the wheels, but I make it back up in my fork - the fox gotta be 2-300g less than a Zocchi.

we're still talking grams here, not major poundage.

If i take a dump before a ride I can loose more

mtbr member
    Use helium in the tires instead of regular air. Can save close to a pound.

If you can't get helium, hydrogen also works well. Bike will take off like a rocket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    haha i like the helium idea

i figure i can build a large one for 26 maybe 25lbs pushing it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Considering that a VERY light XC FS build is around 23lbs, 5spot would be 1.5lbs heavier with the same XC parts.
    Yep, that's the bottom line. The 5 Spot isn't an obvious candidate for a weight weenie build given it's frame weight, but with plenty of XC full suspension bikes getting down well into the low twenties there's no reason you couldn't build an identically spec'ed Spot in the mid twenties.

26 lbs. should be achievable without too many compromises, other than perhaps wheel strength. It's not going to go down as well as a 30 lb. Spot with a 160mm fork and dropper seatpost, but would still be a lot of fun (not to mention fast) in its own way.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Elitest thrill junkie
    Actually, it doesn't seem to be far off from the claim. I didn't know all the components, so I used the most likely ones on the weight-weenies site (yes, I'm sick at home and have nothing better to do).

Like slowrider said, you gotta dump a ton of money into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Some weights

The wheels weighed in at 1540g, the marz xc 700 sl is 1638g which is 287g lighter than the Talas that came off of it, the tires are tubeless with stans and weigh 600g front and 560 g rear, this Ti railed WTB saddle with the name rubbed off weighed 225g.
    I don't know how that compares to your parts but I worked hard to get the bike down to 25 lbs and failed because I refused to trash all my lightish parts to replace them with light parts in exchange for bucket loads of money.
    I built this bike light because I need the 5" of cushion for everyday riding because i've injured my wrists and shoulders in this sport over the last 15 years and I don't jump or drop more than 1 ft; on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    Allright...I'll give you 150g on the pedals and maybe another 150g on the wheels, but I make it back up in my fork - the fox gotta be 2-300g less than a Zocchi.

we're still talking grams here, not major poundage.

If i take a dump before a ride I can loose more

what...?
    Hi

I'm not knocking your claimed bike weight, I wish mine weighed almost the same as my parts are mostly comparable to yours. We use the same tire setup too. I just can't understand the 4 lb diff. weird!

-100g wheels
    -300g fork
    +40g saddle - I now use a selle XLR
    -300g HL vs my TNT - mine's a large

~700 g or about 1.5 lbs

OK - I'm not gonna get crazy over this - maybe I need a real scale. The bathroom method scale isn't exactly accurate, as we see here - haha!
    Most of the major parts came off my old 25lb FS bike - Rocky Element team - so I thought the spot would build up in the under 29lb range. But it didn't. Oh well.

Funny thing is, I am faster on the Spot than the old bike!

Have a great ride!

mtbr member

Wow!

That Rocky Mountain frame must have weighed between 1 and 2 lbs . I've tried 4 different scales including the bathroom scale method and 3 hanging digital scales and they varied between 25.25 and 25.75.The front juicy ultimate went back for warranty today and I replaced it with a Hayes Stroker Trail so the weight went up to 25.75 lbs which seems like too much weight gain for that swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr
    Hi

I'm not knocking your claimed bike weight, I wish mine weighed almost the same as my parts are mostly comparable to yours. We use the same tire setup too. I just can't understand the 4 lb diff. weird!

-100g wheels
    -300g fork
    +40g saddle - I now use a selle XLR
    -300g HL vs my TNT - mine's a large

~700 g or about 1.5 lbs

OK - I'm not gonna get crazy over this - maybe I need a real scale. The bathroom method scale isn't exactly accurate, as we see here - haha!
    Most of the major parts came off my old 25lb FS bike - Rocky Element team - so I thought the spot would build up in the under 29lb range. But it didn't. Oh well.

Funny thing is, I am faster on the Spot than the old bike!

Have a great ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0