Sorry, but Turner's paint job sucks.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sorry, but Turner's paint job sucks.

Ya, well I guess I shouldn't complain too much because I love my new Turner Burner so much that I feel GUILTY (is that sick or what) that it only took me $2000.00 to build it. Granted, I was able to use the fork off my old bike but the paint job just plain sucks. No, it looks great (for now anyway) but it chips and scratches easier than a first generation Yugo with a $99.00 paint job special.

I have a LARGE BLACK frame and the cable covers running along the top tube are already eating into the paint and the are many many scratches everywhere, some to the bare aluminum (hate that). It just plain sucks! God what....snaffdoodle. (See, I like the bike so much I can't bring myself to say that the paint job is just plain ****).

What is my basis for comparison? Well, my tired and now re-tired Trek 6500 is also LARGE and BLACK and after logging over 2500 miles on the trails, streets, ditches etc and just out right abusing this bike, the paint job is barely scratched. Why you ask? Well because Trek puts about 5 coats of baked clear coat over the paint and their decals so their decals always stay on. I hate the decal part but the paint on that bike still looks almost new. I only have 400 miles on the Turner, but I can already tell that by the time I hit 2000 miles, it ain't gonna look near that good.

What the hell do I want then?!? Pancakes for everyone!! and I want to send my bike frame to Turner and I want them to Anodize it Black for FREE!!!! (okay, so I can dream). But seriously, just wanted to express my own personal opinion on this serious and very very important issue that effects all of us and impairs our riding ability.

Riding ability you say! how can paint effect my riding ability!? Well, I almost crashed just the other day because as I was riding down a rocky and wet trail, I looked down at a scratch on my top tube just as I was crossing an off camber log that was slippery and wet and I almost broke my freakin neck!! If that scratch hadn't been there, I would have sailed over that log no problem!! Bad Paint Kills!!

Your welcome. Any donations you send to me, will go to having my bike anodized black and thanks for your support.

You do think they'd anodize my frame Black if I paid them to don't you? If not, I'll just buy beer with the money...I love my Burner.

mtbr member

Calm your boots!

Well call me an old ninnyhammer if you will, but I've always thought it made good sense to put protective stickers (clear adhesive ones are all but invisible) over the areas of possible cable rub. I have thick film under the cables on the top tube; you can't really see it and the paint looks great. I've put in a lot more miles on my 5er than you on your Burner and the paint looks fine. Far superior to the blotchy paint jobs I've seen on many Sant Cruz' for instance.

Protect the bike, you fool!

Anyway, girls dig scars
    'The Fear' is your friend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    I have thick film under the cables on the top tube; you can't really see it and the paint looks great
    In one year, that protective plastic will become very dull and ugly. But you can replace it more easily than the paintjob.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It might just be the black.

I have an older Red XCE w/o probably 1500 miles on it. The paint still looks pretty good. My wife's Burner is black and after ~500 miles I think the paint actually looks worse than my XCE.

Dave

mtbr member

Not strictly true...

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    In one year, that protective plastic will become very dull and ugly. But you can replace it more easily than the paintjob.
    The pretective tape has been on for over a year and been through the nasty British winter and still looks fine as does the paintwork ( a little crash damage to the chainstays, but as they're polished you can't really tell).

The clear tape I've used is very thick, not sure of the manufacturer...
    'The Fear' is your friend...

mtbr member
    I have put tape along my top tube - the bike hoever has scratches either side of this. I can't cover the whole damn thing in tape, so I'm pretty disappointed about how bad the scratches are (although not through to the metal they look pretty dull).

Stu

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    Well call me an old ninnyhammer if you will, but I've always thought it made good sense to put protective stickers (clear adhesive ones are all but invisible) over the areas of possible cable rub. I have thick film under the cables on the top tube; you can't really see it and the paint looks great. I've put in a lot more miles on my 5er than you on your Burner and the paint looks fine. Far superior to the blotchy paint jobs I've seen on many Sant Cruz' for instance.

Protect the bike, you fool!

Anyway, girls dig scars
    Bery bery innneresting! Clear plastic stuff on the frame, hadn't thought of that, mebbe I'll look around fer sumptin that'll do that. hmmmmm

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochise
    Bery bery innneresting! Clear plastic stuff on the frame, hadn't thought of that, mebbe I'll look around fer sumptin that'll do that. hmmmmm
    ...FYI- if you have a ski shop in your area, they usually carry a product used to protect the ski tops. It is sold by the foot (~ $1/ foot) & is ~4" wide. Good & thick too, I used it on my top tube....just cutout the cable stops & one piece covers the entire top & sides of the top tube. Take 5 minutes to make a template out of paper & do the measurements & math....works great!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...FYI- if you have a ski shop in your area, they usually carry a product used to protect the ski tops. It is sold by the foot (~ $1/ foot) & is ~4" wide. Good & thick too, I used it on my top tube....just cutout the cable stops & one piece covers the entire top & sides of the top tube. Take 5 minutes to make a template out of paper & do the measurements & math....works great!
    most MX shops also has some.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ya, well I guess I shouldn't complain too much because I love my new Turner Burner so much that I feel GUILTY (is that sick or what) that it only took me $2000.00 to build it. Granted, I was able to use the fork off my old bike but the paint job just plain sucks. No, it looks great (for now anyway) but it chips and scratches easier than a first generation Yugo with a $99.00 paint job special.

I have a LARGE BLACK frame and the cable covers running along the top tube are already eating into the paint and the are many many scratches everywhere, some to the bare aluminum (hate that). It just plain sucks! God what....snaffdoodle. (See, I like the bike so much I can't bring myself to say that the paint job is just plain ****).

What is my basis for comparison? Well, my tired and now re-tired Trek 6500 is also LARGE and BLACK and after logging over 2500 miles on the trails, streets, ditches etc and just out right abusing this bike, the paint job is barely scratched. Why you ask? Well because Trek puts about 5 coats of baked clear coat over the paint and their decals so their decals always stay on. I hate the decal part but the paint on that bike still looks almost new. I only have 400 miles on the Turner, but I can already tell that by the time I hit 2000 miles, it ain't gonna look near that good.

What the hell do I want then?!? Pancakes for everyone!! and I want to send my bike frame to Turner and I want them to Anodize it Black for FREE!!!! (okay, so I can dream). But seriously, just wanted to express my own personal opinion on this serious and very very important issue that effects all of us and impairs our riding ability.

Riding ability you say! how can paint effect my riding ability!? Well, I almost crashed just the other day because as I was riding down a rocky and wet trail, I looked down at a scratch on my top tube just as I was crossing an off camber log that was slippery and wet and I almost broke my freakin neck!! If that scratch hadn't been there, I would have sailed over that log no problem!! Bad Paint Kills!!

Your welcome. Any donations you send to me, will go to having my bike anodized black and thanks for your support.

You do think they'd anodize my frame Black if I paid them to don't you? If not, I'll just buy beer with the money...I love my Burner.
    I've got two Turners ('01 RFX, '02 XCE) - the Grey Metallic - no problems with the paint at all (except where I've had massive wipeouts and scraped it down to the metal - but then, I don't really care all that much about the paint either - I'm flying down trails, doing drops, going dirt jumping etc. etc. - it would be completely unreasonable for me to expect the paint to hold up in the long-term with that kind of abuse - if you had a 4x4 and rode the roughest jeep trails around, I'd doubt you be surprised if your paint got a little thrashed....looks like there are some good solutions anyway (clear tape in wear areas) if it's an issue...

mtbr member

What really sucks

is the lack of color options, the lack of a ball-burnished option (I want it!!!), and especially the incredibly cheap decals (not to mention the pathetic stick-on badge on the head-tube that comes off after a few washes)!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    is the lack of color options, the lack of a ball-burnished option (I want it!!!), and especially the incredibly cheap decals (not to mention the pathetic stick-on badge on the head-tube that comes off after a few washes)!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    You have got to be the most finicky mountain biker I've ever come across. To each his own, I suppose, but c'mon. Do you have nothing else to do but weigh your components one at a time, cover manufactuer's logos with carbon-fiber printed decals, wax on nostalgically about the SC Blur, and complain about your 5 Spot's paint job? Sheesh. Go ride, or trade in your Turner for an ultralite road bike.

Or maybe I should. I think I drank too much coffee this morning. Sorry.

mtbr member

I've got to agree..

my red was all scratched after 2 rides. Luckily, I put on the clear tape on the top tube. Didn't feel good about doing that, but Turner did the right thing and will be taking care of this next winter.....so I've got to say kudo's on the CS, but hey, lets do it right the first time. OK?
    Of course, its the best frame around.....
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    You have got to be the most finicky mountain biker I've ever come across. Sheesh. Go ride, or trade in your Turner for an ultralite road bike.

Or maybe I should. I think I drank too much coffee this morning. Sorry.
    aware of limits of the ur-bike ( what?) and likes dots on the i ( what is he talking about? ) which some might find annoying (yes! yes! ) but truth is that, the badge is cheap (oh no! again!)

1353 miles and counting and not coffee yet this morning (as you can tell)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You must be new to this board.

It is a mortal sin to do anything but praise the Turner. I hope in the future you remember this or be prepared to be flamed. Repeat after me, "A Turner can do nothing wrong."

Jaybo

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    It is a mortal sin to do anything but praise the Turner. I hope in the future you remember this or be prepared to be flamed. Repeat after me, "A Turner can do nothing wrong."

Jaybo
    Cut it out Jaybo. The only time this happens is when you insist on provoking it. This forum is as open to opinion as any other. Show me otherwise.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Ouch, I am hot!

Heart of the Matter

Turner Paint Job - Salieri (medicre).
    Plastic bits on frame - eh, no need.
    Turner Snobs - thousands, including me.
    Jaybo-ites - 2, Jaybo and Davide

I AM JUST A JERK

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Turner Paint Job - Salieri (medicre).
    Plastic bits on frame - eh, no need.
    Turner Snobs - thousands, including me.
    Jaybo-ites - 2, Jaybo and Davide

...summation by Dirdir - Priceless

Ouch, I am hot!

Arizona

Jaybo
    Try complaining about the heat in the Arizona forum and you will really see mortal sin.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Trail rider and racer

Jaybo
    Funny indeed!
    Trev!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    ...summation by Dirdir - Priceless
    Bikezilla, that made me laugh a lot out loud while rolling in mud, or whatever the saying is. RALPHMO???

Do you have baggies yet? At night, when trying to fall asleep, I can't get that picture out of mind mind. I am thinking of getting another pair and trying the Nashbar Tahoe, anyone have any thoughts on these?
    I AM JUST A JERK

Lay off the Levers
    Bikezilla, that made me laugh a lot out loud while rolling in mud, or whatever the saying is. RALPHMO???

Do you have baggies yet? At night, when trying to fall asleep, I can't get that picture out of mind mind. I am thinking of getting another pair and trying the Nashbar Tahoe, anyone have any thoughts on these?
    I have a set of Azonic DH baggies...sweet design, tough as a tarp...feels like one too..hot enough to bake my boyz. I've learned my lesson though, I'll be keep them in my backpack and throw them on the instant I see a camera. Anything's better than that dress JC put me in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have a set of Azonic DH baggies...sweet design, tough as a tarp...feels like one too..hot enough to bake my boyz. I've learned my lesson though, I'll be keep them in my backpack and throw them on the instant I see a camera. Anything's better than that dress JC put me in.
    LOL........on a serious note:

...these things are the bomb, really! They are tough as nails & yet you can't hardly feel them on. They also breathe incredibly. I have the pants (samurai) & wore them right thru the summer last uear with no complaints....really! One of my better buys....

mtbr member

Paint

I dont know if Turner uses paint or powder but if it's powder it's the softest such finish I've had on any of my bikes. Don't get me wrong the 5 Spot is the best bike I've owned and I don't regret the purchase but it's a shame to drop near 2 g's on a frame with a finish soft as butter. My Foes Fly lives a life of abuse in comparison to my Spot and the finish shows only light scratches, and only after very close inspection. I have four freinds who run Elsworths (they wouldn't listen to me) and three of them have been on the same bikes for 2 to 3 years and there finish looks great while much of my bike has scratches I don't remember causing, and it has less than 6 months ride time. Of course those bikes are all blacks and greys that hide fading well. I know many of you consider it picky but for 2K I expected a finish that would last on a par with other frames in that price range.

Lay off the Levers
    LOL........on a serious note:

...these things are the bomb, really! They are tough as nails & yet you can't hardly feel them on. They also breathe incredibly. I have the pants (samurai) & wore them right thru the summer last uear with no complaints....really! One of my better buys....
    They look pretty good. I have a terrible reluctance to spend over $30 on any bike related article of clothing.('cept shoes) Especially shorts as I would want 4 or 5 pair. (So I can do one load of bike clothes in the wash a week)

$30 an item....silly isn't it? considering there is virtually no limit to my parts/upgrade budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    They look pretty good. I have a terrible reluctance to spend over $30 on any bike related article of clothing.('cept shoes) Especially shorts as I would want 4 or 5 pair. (So I can do one load of bike clothes in the wash a week)

$30 an item....silly isn't it? considering there is virtually no limit to my parts/upgrade budget.
    ....trust me, I know the disease! It took me a year to finally spend $40 on some shorts, yet I will throw down $200 on some shoes in a minute .

mtbr member
    these[/url] things are the bomb, really! They are tough as nails & yet you can't hardly feel them on. They also breathe incredibly. I have the pants (samurai) & wore them right thru the summer last uear with no complaints....really! One of my better buys....
    These don't come with a liner/chamois right? Do you wear a standard bike short under them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    These don't come with a liner/chamois right? Do you wear a standard bike short under them?
    no liner......yeah, (ssshhhhhh) I wear the lycra bike shorts underneath.

Lay off the Levers
    no liner......yeah, (ssshhhhhh) I wear the lycra bike shorts underneath.
    ...Ohforcryinoutloud...Ninja Stealth lycra too?

You manly men...spending good upgrade money just to hide your real shorts. I'm glad I ride a Red bike. I wonder, what do you wear under your pants at work... a G-string?

mtbr member

You manly men...spending good upgrade money just to hide your real shorts. I'm glad I ride a Red bike. I wonder, what do you wear under your pants at work... a G-string?
    LOL! Kinda reminds me of Shrek 2 when Pinocchio’s tries to get his nose to grow by saying, "I'm wearing women’s underwear." His nose doesn't grow and then Gingerbread Man yells out, "And it's a thong!" as he snaps it back home.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You manly men...spending good upgrade money just to hide your real shorts.
    actually.....the rides I wore only lycra in recent years... I kept snaggin' them on the saddle. The riding specific baggies I wear over them (roach, MEC) never hang up...mostly I just wear the tights to keep my boys close to home

...I wonder, what do you wear under your pants at work... a G-string?
    ....wait a minute!!! ...wearing pants!!??....to work!??? ..interesting concept!......yessiree, I may just have to give that a try!!

mtbr member
    The riding specific baggies I wear over them (roach, MEC) never hang up...
    So do you prefer the MEC's to the Roach's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Man, I'm sorry but you boys need to grow up and get some self confidence When it is not summer here in Texas, I'll wear a Nema or baggy short, but in the summer.... FORGET that crap! Its over 100 degrees and people are lucky I'm not wearing just a cup and a jock strap! It's tooooo freakin HOT for 3 or 4 layers of fabric.

Lycra all the way man it is so much cooler. and it's not down to ma knee's lol.

What is the shortest, coolest (as in not hot) baggy short with a chamois around? Any recommendations?

I wouldn't buy the above if I have to wear a freakin lycra underneath it though, to me that's just plain silly

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    So do you prefer the MEC's to the Roach's?
    ....the roaches are a great cooler & wet weather short. They have some sort of waterproofing coating on the underside of the material....which makes it real hot in summer. The MEC's breathe incredibly & the cordura material is both extremely tough & very comfortable....great for hotter temps.

.....sorry Cochise, lycra is just not very practical here. If it's not snagging on the saddle, it's tearing from briars or thorny branches. I can't stand shorts with the liner attached to the shell......very awkward feeling & they never stay situated properly. Gimme some riding shorts & a decent shell anyday! Believe me, it's not a lack of confidence that makes me wear the shell......as an added bonus, I attract alot less attention to myself with my "spectacle" carefully hidden in my baggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ....the roaches are a great cooler & wet weather short. They have some sort of waterproofing coating on the underside of the material....which makes it real hot in summer. The MEC's breathe incredibly & the cordura material is both extremely tough & very comfortable....great for hotter temps.

.....sorry Cochise, lycra is just not very practical here. If it's not snagging on the saddle, it's tearing from briars or thorny branches. I can't stand shorts with the liner attached to the shell......very awkward feeling & they never stay situated properly. Gimme some riding shorts & a decent shell anyday! Believe me, it's not a lack of confidence that makes me wear the shell......as an added bonus, I attract alot less attention to myself with my "spectacle" carefully hidden in my baggies
    Hehe, that's funny. One reason I do like lycra's is because we have green briars here like california has dirt.

Have you ever tried some Nema shorts? You might like them even though they have the liner attached. Very well made, and always 'stay situtated'. Too hot for me though in the Summer.

FWIW I was just reading my latest issue of Mountain Bike Action mag and they recommended the Azonic V-4 short as an above the knee short that's cool. Mebbe I'll try that. Love the Nema's in anything but Summer here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...Have you ever tried some Nema shorts? You might like them even though they have the liner attached. Very well made, and always 'stay situtated'. Too hot for me though in the Summer..
    .....Never tried the nemas, but have very similar types. I know the nemas are good quality, I just prefer the fit & function of the combo application (Downhill background here)......as far as summer heat, pretty much any shorts are hot here in summer. Or rather, hot & oppressively humid conditions make short selection (where overheating is concerned) rather irrelevant. I am a pool of sweat regardless of my 'outfit'

mtbr member
    .....Never tried the nemas, but have very similar types. I know the nemas are good quality, I just prefer the fit & function of the combo application (Downhill background here)...
    I rode Nema's exclusively for the past three years or so until I purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Voltanas, and I'll never look back. I've got to admit that I was hesitant to purchase a Zumi baggie, but these guys hit the nail on the head. The liner is independent of the shell and is made out of a mesh material rather than solid lycra like a typical bike short which allows it to breath extremely well, and the 3d chamois is wonderfully comfy. The shell is bomb proof and has zippered vents that open up along the front of the short to direct air inside. The only down side is that MSRP is $110, but if you're patient you can find them at 20% off at several retailers including REI. Zumi also has several cheaper models that I'm sure get the job done nicely, just no zippered vents.

With that said, I think I'll pick up a pair of the MEC's seeing as how it'd be nice to get some use out of my lycra shorts that have been lying around the past couple of years. That or donate 'em to 'Zilla .

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I rode Nema's exclusively for the past three years or so until I purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Voltanas, and I'll never look back. I've got to admit that I was hesitant to purchase a Zumi baggie, but these guys hit the nail on the head. The liner is independent of the shell and is made out of a mesh material rather than solid lycra like a typical bike short which allows it to breath extremely well, and the 3d chamois is wonderfully comfy. The shell is bomb proof and has zippered vents that open up along the front of the short to direct air inside. The only down side is that MSRP is $110, but if you're patient you can find them at 20% off at several retailers including REI. Zumi also has several cheaper models that I'm sure get the job done nicely, just no zippered vents.

With that said, I think I'll pick up a pair of the MEC's seeing as how it'd be nice to get some use out of my lycra shorts that have been lying around the past couple of years. That or donate 'em to 'Zilla .
    .....I used to ride the 'Zumi's as well. They seemed to rip fairly easily tho.....unlike the MEC's. I tried on the Voltana's but the largest size was too small for me . I do like the mesh liner/ chamois....particularly because it was independant from the shell.

mtbr member
    ...I used to ride the 'Zumi's as well. They seemed to rip fairly easily tho...
    Not sure about their earlier stuff, but the reason I finally pulled the trigger on the Voltanas is that a local FR/DH rider was raving not only about the fit and functionality of the short but also how durable they were to his numerous wipe outs. I've had a few good OTB moments while wearing them and the short has yet to even scuff or snag. I'm anxious to get the MEC's and compare. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lay off the Levers
    ...The only down side is that MSRP is $110, but if you're patient you can find them at 20% off at several retailers including REI. Zumi also has several cheaper models that I'm sure get the job done nicely, just no zippered vents.

Good! Because it'll be a cold day in hell I spend more money on a pair of riding shorts than I do on some dress slacks! ($110 my arse!)

mtbr member
    Good! Because it'll be a cold day in hell I spend more money on a pair of riding shorts than I do on some dress slacks! ($110 my arse!)
    LOL! If you'd stop buying red cycling-dresses and biking-tutus you could afford a pair . And what the hell are "dress slacks". I will admit however, that if my wife found out how much I spend on that pair of bike shorts I'd be in the dog house. I look at it this way... a good shell with a lycra short underneath is going to set you back atleast 80-90 clams... anybody else like me to justify their purchasing habits?

Lay off the Levers
    ... a good shell with a lycra short underneath is going to set you back atleast 80-90 clams...
    Gaahh!!!! I'm still riding my 5 yr old $30 Performance shorts. I just bought 4 more pair last week <$20 ea. Clearly, I'd rather spend my money on oversized plastic bash rings.

Steamroller

Paint or Shorts and Undies

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I dont know if Turner uses paint or powder but if it's powder it's the softest such finish I've had on any of my bikes. Don't get me wrong the 5 Spot is the best bike I've owned and I don't regret the purchase but it's a shame to drop near 2 g's on a frame with a finish soft as butter. My Foes Fly lives a life of abuse in comparison to my Spot and the finish shows only light scratches, and only after very close inspection. I have four freinds who run Elsworths (they wouldn't listen to me) and three of them have been on the same bikes for 2 to 3 years and there finish looks great while much of my bike has scratches I don't remember causing, and it has less than 6 months ride time. Of course those bikes are all blacks and greys that hide fading well. I know many of you consider it picky but for 2K I expected a finish that would last on a par with other frames in that price range.
    Just when I thought this thread had been hijacked and completely converted to a conversation about shorts........it goes back to paint?!...... I'll respond to both. My black burner's paint job seemed real nice initially, and still looks pretty good. I have had better paint jobs, but not better bikes. Get over it, painted bikes will get scratched if you ride them and especially if you crash them.

I've taken to wearing cheap board shorts (swim trunks) over my lycra bib shorts. I get the support and padding of the lycra shorts. The chamois stays up near me. I don't flash butt cleavage to whoever is unfortunate enough to be behind me. I still have a stylish baggie look with more style options than available on bike baggies, and I have pockets. These cost me about $10-15 (Old Navy) and wear well. I use my old road bibs that have holes and are not suitable to be worn alone any more. I also wear BDU shorts or the ultra light weight river-shorts sometimes. Is it a sin to use the word road on this forum?
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member

Paint

Yea the powder somehow seems softer and easier to scratch than my Foes. First ride I rubbed the seat stay on a rock pretty bad. I'll have it redone soon for $100 at olympic powder coat. The ride makes it all better though.

Lay off the Levers
    And the award for longest dead thread ever resurected goes to...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    And the award for longest dead thread ever resurected goes to...
    I didn't realize that this was a religous thread.

Are you sure that there isn't one older in the Ellsworth section? Hmmmm

mtbr member
    I managed to get a black Burnerat a good price, the only let down has been the paint as it shows fine rub marks very easy. I also have one of the first 5 Spots in silver and the paint looks better than the burners!

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    I didn't realize that this was a religous thread.
    It's not, but according to this the EW warranty may be particularly non-secular.

mtbr member

Baggie suggestion...

...as much as I hate to admit it, try the Oakley mid-pricepoint short. It pains me to underwrite in any small way the insufferable and strangely culty collective ego of that company and its employees, but when it comes to baggies (and ski goggles) they're pretty dialed. The Oakley baggies CRUSH the Crown Jewels from Nema (god, I'm making myself physically ill writing this.) Great fit, even better quality, swank microsuede-ish fabric, and the vents up front really DO work. They do feel a bit diaper-ish when you try 'em on, but one wash/dry cycle and they shrinky-dink right up. (There's probably a better choice of phrases out there, but you get my drift.)

You can always ink over the logos with a Sharpie...then nobody will accuse you of being a "Thermonuclear Test (insert crass noun here)"

Oakley! Get over yourself! I hate you...no wait, I love you! AAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Paint

Most of the Burners were painted in Oregon. That was last year. All of the frames from late summer 2004 to now and on into the future are painted at Olympic Powdercoating in Santa Ana Ca. I am sorry that some of the paint was not up to Olympic quality, or Turner quality. I am confident that our paint is as good as anyone elses for quality from anywhere in America. You don't have to like the colors, but the work is good now.
    DT

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Most of the Burners were painted in Oregon. That was last year. All of the frames from late summer 2004 to now and on into the future are painted at Olympic Powdercoating in Santa Ana Ca. I am sorry that some of the paint was not up to Olympic quality, or Turner quality. I am confident that our paint is as good as anyone elses for quality from anywhere in America. You don't have to like the colors, but the work is good now.
    DT
    Who did the paint work on the O2s? I now have two of them in the silver metallic charcoal - that has to be the baddest (nicest) looking paint I've ever seen on a bike. Polishes up real nice with a spray of carnuba wax furniture polish and a rag. Now the Burner's matte black is just that - Black. Looks downright evil. No complaints whatsoever. I took a fall last week in Fruita, scuffed up the stays a bit but that's part of the sport. When I got home about two seconds with a sharpie permanent marker was all it took - like new.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

BODYSNATCHER

Where can I get touch up?

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    DT
    The cable rub has been sneaking up on me, and I want to cover up the bare aluminum before I cover it with some clear protective tape. Also, I have some serious chain suck damage I want to cover, so is there touch up? Or is that not practical because of the powdercoat? Mine is a blue Burner...
    Last edited by mr magu; 04-19-2005 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Sponsored by Xanax
    Magu, good question. I'm building up a blue Burner right now and I can forsee needing some touchup paint...incidentally mine was done by Olympic because I saw their inspection sticker (or whatever it is) inside the head tube. I'll make sure to use that plastic tape underneath the cable housings where they rub the frame, so I don't wear the finish off. But one bout of chainsuck is going to mar that paint. I wonder if anyone knows of a good anti-chainsuck device.

This question may have been asked before, but I wonder if it's possible to have the rear triangle (or front, for that matter) stripped and polished. Or if it's a lot of trouble and better to just have to repainted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Paint

The last of the Burners were Olympic work, and done well I hope you agree.

The older frames like the XCE and 02 and and RFX were all done at Olympic. NO paint can hold up to chain suck or the abrasive action of dirt and housing grinding on a frame, and about the only thing anyone can do is to get a little bottle of model paint and try and find one that matches. Or put a little protective patch of tape in the wear zone. With chain suck ignore it, unless you have a bad problem, then fix the drive train! After that just make sure to file out the sharpest gouges.

If someone wants to strip and either re-paint or polish the rear, contact Olympic for the stripping. And they can send you on to Bush Metal Polishing for pre polish, then on to Custom Metal Finishing for ball burnish and if you want anodize they can do that too.

DT

... I guess you won't be
    110 bucks for a pair of shorts.....my my!!!

A cheap pair of REI light nylon hiking shorts w/ velcro cargo pockets and any ol' lycra short that I have pretty much make up my riding gear. I look at the lycra shorts as cartridges that are for my hiking shorts. It's cheap, the liner is independent from the short [which seems to be a high dollar feature in high-end baggies], and if I tear my REI short, I can just waltz into the store and get a brand new pair without a hassle!

and I got something to hide my underwear after I ditch my wet lycra diaper after a ride and hit the bar for some cold brews!!!! Try that with baggies or lycra!!!!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    The cable rub has been sneaking up on me, and I want to cover up the bare aluminum before I cover it with some clear protective tape. Also, I have some serious chain suck damage I want to cover, so is there touch up? Or is that not practical because of the powdercoat? Mine is a blue Burner...
    Touch up is purely cosmetic on an aluminum frame in contrast to steel frames where if you didn't fix those dings, rust would set in. I've had luck with Testor's model enamel. It's cheap and durable plus it comes in about a million colors so you can buy a few and blend them to get a color that matches your frame. There's plenty of advice on the web on how to do a touch up, but basically it's a little bit at a time in thin layers allowing the paint to dry out in between. You want to build up the paint until it matches the level of the existing paint. Lightly sand with super fine sandpaper, then apply a thin clear coat and you're there. A good job will be barely visible. You can also check out the auto touch up paint selections at a car parts store like NAPA, they have alot of variety also and clear coat as well. When the paint's dry, apply your clear tape (I like the Park Tool tire sidewall patches). This whole topic is more of a roadie issue than a mountain bike issue. Wear and tear is inevitable on a mountain bike and shows that your rig is being used and ridden as intended. When I see a spotless rig on someone's car rack (assuming the bike's not totally new) I think "Hey, that guys not riding much - poser" It's the rigs with the worn saddles, scarred bars, scrapes nicks and wear, but the spotlessly clean and lubed drivetrains that scream out "This rider knows what he's doing".
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells