mtbr member

Some Turner frames

Self explanatory really, but if you fancy a change to the standard gear hanger I picked up a pair of these yesterday and the seem to be an alternative, they may be a bit expensive over in the US but they are certanly a lot cheaper than OE in the UK.
    Anodised aluminium and they are a little thicker and are allegedly stronger (according to BETD) they would say that though, and as the rear mech is sacrificial that may not be a good thing, any how it's another choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looking at the pictures I think that I do need to clean my chain

No, that's not phonetic
    Turner recently changed from 6-series alu to 7-series for the hanger. The old ones were nice and soft and you could bend it back over and over. I never actually broke the old ones and I straightened them whenever necessary (which in my experience was not often). Barny just shattered one of the new styles like glass during a minor OTB episode. I would like to take this opportunity thank all the whiners who complained about the old pliable hangers and pushed Turner to make more ridig ones which simply explode rather than bending pleasantly. Good job, guys.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    damm, my DAG is my favorite tool.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla

Hey Zilla, what is a DAG??
    What is it short for?
    Just curious.......

No, that's not phonetic

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    you gotta be kiddin me! a stiffer hanger? this is NOT good. hope i got the old ones with my flux and rfx. any way to tell the diff cheese? oh yeah... and what HE said goes for me too. a total bugger job by those who missed the point completely. bet i could name a few. im blown away that turner would do this.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    any way to tell the diff cheese?
    Go OTB. If you are picking hanger shrapnel out of your backside afterwards, it's a new one. If you simply have to grab the der and pull the hanger straight again, it's an old one.

Don't you hate it when DT listens?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    so ill guess theres no visual diff therefore no way to tell besides testin it against a rock.

and yes, sometimes i do my friend. not often but this time i wish he was out of the office when that call came in. bad david. bad, bad david. now go to yer room!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Doesnt anybody make the break away bolts any more?

I had a couple years ago that I bought when purchasing my first expensive derailler. (It was 8 speed XT) When I bought it the LBS guy suggested a breakable derailleur bolt. It was scored slightly around the circumference in the center of the bolt, just after where the threads stopped. It had a groove on the bottom so you could screw it out if you ever busted of the socket end. I bought a spare and kept it in my camelback but never used either. (Of course you never need what you are prepared for ) What about something like this? Better than screwing up an expensive frame and 4.50 is still better than the 20 bucks for the extra hanger plus easier to carry to boot. Are these still out there?

banned
    I never found the old style hangers soft. In fact, they are quite resilient. Luckily, I bought a couple spares and still have two, one on the bike. I always carry one extra on the trail with me. It's also not that bad here; 2 years before breaking a hanger, which was a bit tweaked.

As far as the breakaway bolts go, I use them and the hanger still bends or breaks before the bolt will. I think those breakaway bolts are useless.

mtbr member
    CDtofer, never seen one of them.

The BETD hanger are aluminum alloy HE30 / 6082, meaning it should be possible to bend then back.
    I am sure I will get to test this out eventually

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    CDtofer, never seen one of them.

The BETD hanger are aluminum alloy HE30 / 6082, meaning it should be possible to bend then back.
    I am sure I will get to test this out eventually
    Hey Prof. Got your phone message. Do you still need some spares or are you all set now?
    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Will call you in a mo,need a new seat and a chat.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Barny just shattered one of the new styles like glass during a minor OTB episode.
    I know where you ride. You sure it wasn't just frozen?

I don't know why dt would not design the other bikes like the dhr. It's a solid plate with two fairly pinner bolts that run perpendicular to the frame center line. Hit something, the bolts sheer, and then you still have a usable hanger if you can get the bolt nubs out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thicker

That is a nice looking piece for sure. BETD makes some good stuff from the looks of it, now a Turner hanger I am flattered.

Some explanations are in order. The reason that the current hanger is 7075 is that many many people voiced their concerns about bending. I guess if they were versed in the use of the DAG or similar tools there would have been less complaints. With 7075 being so much stronger than 6061 that fixes most of the complaints, and now I have a new group!!!
    ARGHHHH. Seriously though, I think we sell less hangers now than with the 6061, so progress is made. The thickness of the current hanger is max thickness per Shimano recomendations for proper shifting. That does not mean that a little thicker will not work, but I have to go by the spec's in case of shifting problems in the field.

DT

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I'm waiting for the minidag to come out so I can carry it with me all the time

My experience with the older hangers has been that after one straightening they bend much easier next time. I haven't broken one yet, but one of the local homelies has and I wasn't there to see it.

Add me to the list of those concerned about the brittleness of the new ones.... sorry, many sticks in the trail here.

Members who have read this thread: 0