So I got some 5.5 rockers. Now where do they go??- Mtbr.com
    No, that's not phonetic

New question here. So I got some 5.5 rockers. Now where do they go??

I have a Sultan with Push rockers and an '03 5-Spot with 5.1 rockers. I recently picked up a set of 5.5 rockers from Turner. I am sort of stuck on trying to figure out which bike they should go on. I could put the 5.5 rockers and the Push rockers anywhere I want. I am pretty damn happy with the Spot the way it currently is set up, but I am all for experimenting.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Amphibious Technologies
    Why not try the Push rockers on the spot
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    I think the answer is obvious - since it takes almost no effort for you to switch them, put the 5.5's on the Sultan, the Push on the Spot, ride for a month, then switch. After another month (or whatever) give us a detailed report on all 4 different iterations. Hopefully with graphs, pics, etc.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

banned
    I've got an idea of where you can put them.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Why won't you put those 5.5 rockers on the Spot and then report your rim/tire combo and whether you have contact between the tread and the cable stop on the back of your seat tube?

That could potentially save me some money.

_MK

Time flies...
    You could put them on -my- '05, 5.3 Spot, and after a month or two I'll report as to whether or not I could even tell a difference...
    ...with graphs, of course....

...every day sends future to past...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    put those old 5.1 rockers on stage. its workin for all the 80's bands these days.
    No, I'm NOT back!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I'm thinking mine are going to move from my Spot to my Sultan.
    Of course I don't have PUSH rockers that need a home.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I've got an idea of where you can put them.
    Damn dude you're obsessed. Pathetic.

Baked Alaskan
    How about on the Flux?
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Trophy Husband
    Can you put 5.5 rockers on a Highline? Maybe with a set of Spot stays?
    Extreme stationary biker.

trail fairy
    U need a Nitrous
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    How about on the Flux?
    Actually, I'd be really curious to see this. Would it have a similar effect as putting them on a Sultan, if it worked at all?
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Damn dude you're obsessed. Pathetic.
    Yer just jealous because he's MY stalker. Get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Actually, I'd be really curious to see this. Would it have a similar effect as putting them on a Sultan, if it worked at all?
    Uh oh. Now we're headed into the weeds. I'll report back.

Baked Alaskan
    What if it bumped the rear travel a bit to more closely match something like the Reba 120? But then all the Mojo rider would sell their bikes and ride a Flux ... and that would mean Davide would be back.

If any Flux owners are looking, I have some Push rockers.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    I'll have to tear down the Flux next week because I am installing a new '08 rear triangle and the RFX is going back to stock rockers in preparation for a Moab trip. That means I'll have both 5.3, 5.5, and Push rockers available to try on the Flux ...

The average leverage ratio of the Flux and 5.3 rockers is essentially identical, the 5.5 and Push rockers would add a little bit of travel. If I have time I'll map out the linkages and check for frame interference.

Bite Me.
    Remind me again what the 5.5s would do to the Sultan. If memory serves, you don't really gain any travel, but the initial stroke on the RP23 gets a bit more compliant? I have a Push tune on the RP23 on mine, and it seems plenty smooth now, but I seldom see an upgrade I can resist. As for the Flux 5.5 combo, sounds great with a Maxxis MaxxLIte 310 maybe
    Last edited by cutthroat; 08-19-2008 at 09:05 AM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Remind me again what the 5.5s would do to the Turner.
    It depends on which Turner you are talking about.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    It depends on which Turner you are talking about.
    My mistake - fixed it
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

No, that's not phonetic
    So I started with them on my '03 Spot which has had the original 5.1 rockers installed until now. I did not change any settings on the RP3 at all when I switched rockers, and I have had a couple of rides now. I really can't say I feel any obvious difference so far. I did not expect to notice the change in travel per se, but perhaps a difference in the linkage rate behavior.

They do look damn cool, I'll say that.

mtbr member
    They do look damn cool, I'll say that.
    Thats just an opinion. I think we need pics.

No, that's not phonetic
    I never wash my bikes. I don't know if the Homers can handle it.

No, that's not phonetic
    OK, it's been dry, so most of the dirt fell off. Sorry, still no couch.

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I think we need pics.
    I usually don't need this much prodding.

The beasties:

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I gotta say, the 55 is a smart looking fork! What are your thoughts on it thus far?

not so super...
    I gotta say, the 55 is a smart looking fork! What are your thoughts on it thus far?

Nothing to see here.

tOmmygunn
    so how are you liking those rockers? i was vaguely thinking about getting a pair of 5.5 rockers to put on my 05 spot which has the a pushed fox rp3 with the original 5.3 rockers. i'm running a 130mm rockshox revelation on the front, so i was wondering if it would change the head angle all that much.

i emailed the guys at turner they implied it would improve the handling which is all good, would it raise the bottom bracket also?

hopefully no need to mess w/ the shock?

thx,

tOm

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn
    so how are you liking those rockers? i was vaguely thinking about getting a pair of 5.5 rockers to put on my 05 spot which has the a pushed fox rp3 with the original 5.3 rockers. i'm running a 130mm rockshox revelation on the front, so i was wondering if it would change the head angle all that much.

i emailed the guys at turner they implied it would improve the handling which is all good, would it raise the bottom bracket also?

hopefully no need to mess w/ the shock?

thx,

tOm

5.5 rockers will not change the BB hgt.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    5.5 rockers will not change the BB hgt.
    Really? Mine did....on the Sultan

No, that's not phonetic
    I didn't measure before and after swapping rockers, but it is my understanding that it does not change the geo (in any significant way). After you take the increased sag into consideration, the ride height may be slightly lower. When putting the 5.5 rockers on my Sultan, it lowered the BB 3mm (1/8") compared to the stock rockers fwiw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    tscheezy what do you think about the ride quality of the 5.5 rockers on the spot compared to the older ones? Any difference? So, you don't feel like it changed the geometry much?

No, that's not phonetic
    I did not change any settings on the RP3 at all when I switched rockers, and I have had a couple of rides now. I really can't say I feel any obvious difference so far. I did not expect to notice the change in travel per se, but perhaps a difference in the linkage rate behavior.
    This still stands, though I did loan the bike out for a while and have not ridden it in the past week or so. I would have to swap the rockers back and forth at this point to remind myself what the old rockers felt like. When you have an RFX, Sultan, and Spot and swap rockers a lot it turns into a big blur after a while.

mtbr member
    This still stands, though I did loan the bike out for a while and have not ridden it in the past week or so. I would have to swap the rockers back and forth at this point to remind myself what the old rockers felt like. When you have an RFX, Sultan, and Spot and swap rockers a lot it turns into a big blur after a while.
    I have not spent a lot of time on the 5.3in rockers on my 5 Pack but I did recently switch from 5.5in rockers back to 6in RFX rockers for a trip to Moab. I started out with no changes in damping or spring on the Avy and the bike felt more wallowy than usual and prone to diving deep in the travel. I added a bit of preload (maybe 2 turns) and a fair bit of low-speed compression damping (maybe an extra 3/4 turn) and the pedaling became well behaved again. The ride felt plusher than with the 5.5in rockers and also a little more sluggish but for the terrain it was the right choice.

I don't know if similar changes could be expected going down in travel to the 5.1in rockers (obviously not the plushness). From what I have measured, the 5.3in rockers with a Spot rear triangle give a very linear linkage rate, the RFX rockers are a fair bit more progressive and the 5.5in rockers are even more progressive. The ride on the 5.5in rockers is almost harsh at times but I like how they ride high in the travel for a trail bike.

Bite Me.
    FWIW when I switched the 5.1 rockers on the Spot to the 5.3s I did notice a more supple feel on the initial stroke. I ended up boosting the pressure by 5 to 10lbs to compensate for the added leverage and to keep my original sag, then things felt sort of too firm. Then I added the HV can to the RP3 to regain the plushness - the end result was exactly what I was looking for - lots of initial compliance w/o bottoming. For me it wasn't about getting more travel (although that didn't hurt), I was after a better feel and trail contact in back, especially on tricky technical climbs. I assume the switch from 5.3 to 5.5s would be similar - it was subtle, but an overall improvement IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bike looks awesome, but those CK hubs are an eye sore. Or is it eyesore?

Members who have read this thread: 0