So, how's your romic set up?- Mtbr.com
    jra

So, how's your romic set up?

This may be an old question, but Im curious how people are setting up the Romic for their Spot given your weight, what spring weight you're using, and how youd describe that ride.

Thanks and feliz Dia de la Independencia!
    Last edited by seasick; 07-02-2004 at 05:57 PM.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick
    This may be an old question, but Im curious how people are setting up there Romic for the Spot given your weight, what spring weight you're using, and how youd describe that ride.

Not only is every person's tastes different, not only are the trail types different... The Romics tend to behaive differently from one shock to the next...even on the same bike model. Plus quite a few of us have had our shocks custom tuned the last time they were serviced. Romic's real good about that...they'll tweak the shock to make it do whatever your heart desires.

But for initial setup tips check this out: http://www.transitionbikes.com/RomicSetup.cfm
    It's a great starting point.

G'luck, have fun!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Just Grin and HUCK it...

My set up...

This may be an old question, but Im curious how people are setting up there Romic for the Spot given your weight, what spring weight you're using, and how youd describe that ride.

FWIW - I weigh about 210 w/gear and have my R0mic set up with a 550x2.0 spring. Seems to work just fine for me. Nice and cushy, very little bob action when I stay in the saddle. I think I may finally have my compression/rebound dialed in.
    MCM# 2007.1

jra
    [QUOTE=Bikezilla]Not only is every person's tastes different, not only are the trail types different... The Romics tend to behaive differently from one shock to the next...even on the same bike model. Plus quite a few of us have had our shocks custom tuned the last time they were serviced. Romic's real good about that...they'll tweak the shock to make it do whatever your heart desires.

OK, so maybe it's a crappy question or just poorly worded. I was hoping to get a smattering of replies from different people with different riding styles and backgrounds.

When you think about it, though, people give feedback all the time on how their fork is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that "it sucks everything up". (Yeah sure. I know a few trails for them suck up.) Sometimes it's just nice to get a feel for who's doing what with springs, riding conditions, etc. and what they might look to tweak in the near future.

Oh well, have fun out there.

Lay off the Levers
    OK, so maybe it's a crappy question or just poorly worded. I was hoping to get a smattering of replies from different people with different riding styles and backgrounds.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I think I read it wrong. Okay here's my info...

I'm 220+, probably 230 in gear. I've been using a 600lb spring but could probably go for a 650. I ride very rocky technical, tight and twisty NE singletrack. I like to blast through the rough stuff and enjoy all kinds of technical challenges, especially the climbs. I avoid climbing out of the saddle as much as possible as the bike grabs much better when seated. My legs last longer too. I prefer a plush setup because it follows the rocky sketch terrain better and aids greatly in climbs. That said I keep my compression knob almost all the way out and my rebound knob almost all the way in. But my shock has the infamous Big Boy Treatment so my settings are somewhat different than stock.

Cheers!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mad aussie

small guy settings

I weigh 140, ride a lot technical singletrack with drops and jumps. I have a 450# spring on the Romic, with the compression knob 2 clicks in from full out, and the rebound 12 out from full in. I tend to ride mostly in the saddle, and spin a lot. Hopefully my pedal stroke is good from 150 miles commuting to work per week on a fixed gear road bike!

mtbr member
    I have the Lg. 5 Spot. I'm 6ft. 185lbs, and run the Fox "nilla" 125RL up front, heavy coil. My Romic is set up with a 550/2.0 and two turns in/up. I run my rebound fairly fast,maybe 5-6 clicks from full fast. I run the Blue "BOB" knob, compression almost full-in 1-2 clicks from full.(however I have come to the conclusion it is not working right, Thank's "Zilla"). I ride Marin, so the terrain varies from 45mph fire roads to kinda',( I know PETE would disagree ) technical single track. I never seem to adjust it. One size fits all type riding! It all feels good.

jra
    [QUOTE=Bikezilla]Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I think I read it wrong. Okay here's my info...

Zilla - No worries. A little rain doesn't hurt anybody After I reread what I'd written, I thought it was asked in a pretty weak way. I think you'd read it right. Thanks for your feedback. Have a good one!
    seasick

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    This may be an old question, but Im curious how people are setting up the Romic for their Spot given your weight, what spring weight you're using, and how youd describe that ride.

I'm about 180 - 185 with gear. I use a 500#, 2.25 spring. Compression is about 3-4clicks in from wide open. Rebound is....hmmmm....where rebound is. I adjust the rebound solely by feel. I have no idea where it's set.

That setup give a good ride. It's a little firm. I have a 450# spring that I put on occasionally for a plusher ride. I use the 500# spring at least 95% of the time.