mtbr member

Small sultan suitable for 5'6 lady????

So my wife wants a new bike to replace her Small Titus motolite. We've discussed the benifits of the bigger wheels and the fact that I have several forks and wheelsets in the garage that won't net me much $$ on ebay. On the 29er thread a lot of women ride small hardtail frames such as Siren, Willits, Salsas and others. Without going to a hardtail I thought I'd ask you who are riding small 29er's or who have sig others on the bigger wheels and can offer some insight on the Small Sultan for a woman who's 5'6" and needs at least ~27-28" of stand over. The geometry on the Turner site says that the S may be a bit too big. So...before I take the plunge and place an order for this frame let me know what you all think.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    might work if they made 1, but they dont. med is the biggest sultan made. sorry. guess i have to agree with dt as to why he doesnt offer a small 29'er. its just too big for a small rider.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    ya, correction on my part, it was the medium specs I was looking at.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ive fit small folk, includin gals, on small 29'ers. i can make the t/t fit fine but standover gets close if not flat out poor and foot overlap is always a issue. id keep her on a 26" wheel unless she has size 3 feet and a 31" inseam.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    So my wife wants a new bike to replace her Small Titus motolite. We've discussed the benifits of the bigger wheels and the fact that I have several forks and wheelsets in the garage that won't net me much $$ on ebay. On the 29er thread a lot of women ride small hardtail frames such as Siren, Willits, Salsas and others. Without going to a hardtail I thought I'd ask you who are riding small 29er's or who have sig others on the bigger wheels and can offer some insight on the Small Sultan for a woman who's 5'6" and needs at least ~27-28" of stand over. The geometry on the Turner site says that the S may be a bit too big. So...before I take the plunge and place an order for this frame let me know what you all think.
    Hate to say it but it's just too big. As much as I love the Sultan I definitely wouldn't recommend it in this case. If she really wants a 29'er then you may need to look at other options, (Ventana El Rey, Niner RIP 9). Small RIP 9 may be the best option in terms of standover, but the 15" El Rey has a shorter top tube.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member

Possible

I'm a 5'6" guy and when I test rode the smallest Sultan with a 100mm stem and it could have worked if I didn't mind the extra effort on really steep climbs, in that situation the big wheels worked against me. Other than steep climbs I liked how it fit and rode but I would have run a shorter stem.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I'm a 5'6" guy and when I test rode the smallest Sultan with a 100mm stem and it could have worked if I didn't mind the extra effort on really steep climbs, in that situation the big wheels worked against me. Other than steep climbs I liked how it fit and rode but I would have run a shorter stem.
    FWIW, I'm 5'10, ride a M Sultan (smallest size available) and use a 70mm stem.

Ventanarama gave great advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I wouldn't do it

My wife also rides an 06 SMALL Titus Racer X 80mm travel and there is just no way she is going to fit on my medium sultan. Top tube is just too long even with a short stem. She won't have any standover height. Heck my brother who is 5'9" felt the medium bike was too big for him. Maybe try an El Rey or Rip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Check out the Voodoo Canzo as well. For the money it seems to be a very nice bike.