Small Burner too small?- Mtbr.com
    ewl
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Small Burner too small?

Hello,
    I recently bought a small Burner frame based on dimensions. The top tube length seems right and fairly close to my last bike, however the top tube height seems tiny. Looking at the frame side by side next to my wife's 13.5" stumpjumper, the height almost seems the same (the top tube on the Burner is definitely longer). Is this just the steep slope on it?

I'm 5'5.5" tall with a 30" inseam and am just a little concerned that once I put this bike together (and it's too late to change sizes) that it's going to come out too small. I don't have the opportunity to test ride, so again I'm going off of dimensions and previous test rides of similarly sized bikes.

Anyhow, I'm curious what size frame people out there in the 5'5" to 5'6" range are riding in the Burner. Is there any downside to having too much standover, even if the top tube length feels correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl
    Hello,
    I recently bought a small Burner frame based on dimensions. The top tube length seems right and fairly close to my last bike, however the top tube height seems tiny. Looking at the frame side by side next to my wife's 13.5" stumpjumper, the height almost seems the same (the top tube on the Burner is definitely longer). Is this just the steep slope on it?

I'm 5'5.5" tall with a 30" inseam and am just a little concerned that once I put this bike together (and it's too late to change sizes) that it's going to come out too small. I don't have the opportunity to test ride, so again I'm going off of dimensions and previous test rides of similarly sized bikes.

Anyhow, I'm curious what size frame people out there in the 5'5" to 5'6" range are riding in the Burner. Is there any downside to having too much standover, even if the top tube length feels correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    i think that the small should fit you quite well....my GF is just about 5'2" and the small burner is too big for her. the tt does slope down a bit, which gives you more standover,which is think is a good thing, especially in technical terrain....but the only way to really know if it fits you is to try it. if it doesn't work out the resale value should be great.....it's a turner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My wife is the same size and the small fits perfectly.

She's 5'5.5" tall with a 30" inseam as well, and the small fits great w/ a 90 mm stem.

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    She's 5'5.5" tall with a 30" inseam as well, and the small fits great w/ a 90 mm stem.

Dave

I am 5' 7" and ride a small ( 29" inseam) with a 110mm stem. Rode a medium felt a little too big and the standover was a little threatening to the fellas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm 5'5" and have a small Burner and it fits perfect for me. I have a 29" inseam and running a 100mm stem. Absolutely love the fit and feel! I think you'll be fine. Medium will be too big especially the top tube length.