Singlespeed Turner!!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414

    Singlespeed Turner!!!

    Fun to tool around the driveway for now, can't wait to get it out on the trail:


    Right now it's setup with and standard cassette and XTR rear der. that's fixed on the 20t cog.

    James

  2. #2
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,128
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr
    Fun to tool around the driveway for now, can't wait to get it out on the trail:
    Right now it's setup with and standard cassette and XTR rear der. that's fixed on the 20t cog.
    Looks light and zippy! Will you be ditching the Rder and cogset for a tensioner and SS-freewheel or keeping your options open?

    I forget what model & year is that? BTW How much does it weigh?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Looks light and zippy! Will you be ditching the Rder and cogset for a tensioner and SS-freewheel or keeping your options open?

    I forget what model & year is that? BTW How much does it weigh?
    Keeping options open for now, need to find out what gearing works best. It's a 1998 Stinger. No sure what the weight is, probably about 26lbs right now, several of the parts are pretty heavy. Should be easy to get it down to 23-24lbs, but I'm not in any rush.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,885
    .......you'll most definitely need some sort of chain tensioner that will allow for some growth (spring). The chain growth may be minimal on that design, but it is enough that it will break any chain if you start with the correct length......


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    .......you'll most definitely need some sort of chain tensioner that will allow for some growth (spring). The chain growth may be minimal on that design, but it is enough that it will break any chain if you start with the correct length......
    That's why the deraileur is on there.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,040

    Check out the Rohloff...

    ...front ring guide - bolts on to ST. Once you settle on a gear of your liking you can shed the weight of a full cassette and just run a DX or King Kog with spacers.

    You will throw chains in that set up unitl you lose some links and run a front ring guide. If you're ok with using the derailleur in lieu of a Melvin or Rohloff chain tensioner you should be golden.

    Cool ride.

    Sean
    Professional Amateur

  7. #7
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,272
    I agree with soupboy. If you take it out on a bumpy trail your chain will most likely fall off the front ring. I tried the same setup on my old hardtail and had to put the ft derailluer back on to contain the chain when it tried to bounce off.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    I agree with soupboy. If you take it out on a bumpy trail your chain will most likely fall off the front ring. I tried the same setup on my old hardtail and had to put the ft derailluer back on to contain the chain when it tried to bounce off.
    Hm....I'll have to look into my options. For now I'll just put the front der. back on and fix it, then see how I like the ride. Thanks for the tip.

Similar Threads

  1. Cuervo / DHR / V10 review (long)
    By Scott@GO-RIDE.com in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 10:03 AM
  2. What Is The Best? V10 Or El Cuervo??
    By gabri3ride in forum Ventana
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM
  3. Maverick Fork Approved for Turner 5-spot
    By Maverick American in forum Maverick
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 09:12 AM
  4. Turner Demo Bikes stolen - Temecula
    By gregg in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 12:20 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.