should I get an 08 5-spot or flux??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

should I get an 08 5-spot or flux??

hi--I have gf clearance to pick up a new frame this month--turner still has a few large fluxs and 5 spots left from 08, so thats wat im getting. I live in nor-cal, am 200pds and very aggresive riding la honda, etc etc. that being said, I am going up at least as much as going down and racing in off road tris--like tinley and x-terra--so I wanna always go fast and weight counts. I have no way to demo these, and money short enough so really want to make a good decision. Can I set up a 5-spot pretty light for xc type racing but with the cool travel for rocky decents 'round here--or am I better off with the flux, less travel but maybe more competative in my offroad triathlons? any help appreciated--(this frame replacing a kona kikapu deluxe that has 100mm travel and is heavy, yet I somewhat like it, even though its a pogo stick going uphill...)

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'd say go with the Spot. They can be set up to go 26-27 pounds for someone your size and with a change in stem, tires, and maybe wheels can from being a nice bike for racing to being something you can fun with when you're not racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adiokyro
    hi--I have gf clearance to pick up a new frame this month--turner still has a few large fluxs and 5 spots left from 08, so thats wat im getting. I live in nor-cal, am 200pds and very aggresive riding la honda, etc etc. that being said, I am going up at least as much as going down and racing in off road tris--like tinley and x-terra--so I wanna always go fast and weight counts. I have no way to demo these, and money short enough so really want to make a good decision. Can I set up a 5-spot pretty light for xc type racing but with the cool travel for rocky decents 'round here--or am I better off with the flux, less travel but maybe more competative in my offroad triathlons? any help appreciated--(this frame replacing a kona kikapu deluxe that has 100mm travel and is heavy, yet I somewhat like it, even though its a pogo stick going uphill...)
    Hi,

Do you want something for long distance road, fire road and light trial use? If so, get the Flux. Or you want something for trail use with some jumps? Take the Spot.

The Flux will be a fast easy pedalling bike but the Spot will be a stable, plush bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you do a search about this, I posted a similar question about 2 months ago. One member here has both and races one and gave a very detailed response.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

It ain't easy being Green
    I just picked up my new 08 Flux XC racer :-) 24 pounds!

But, to answer the original question I would recommend a Spot, given the rider's stated weight and trail preferences.

However, they both kick major ass and I simply can't believe that I'm now climbing hills TWO gears higher than on my old Spesh FSR...

Andy Green
    San Diego, CA

Moosehead
    Both are great rigs, I'm a Clyde with both setup in light armory. Tough call because both handle everything well and the fun factor is very high on each.

That said, the Flux is flickable, climbs anything, and handles the gnar better than you would expect, espec with a 120m fork. Flux is certainly the best race rig with a 100m fork.

The Spot can climb nearly as well, albeit with slightly more effort, but it bombs without needing to pick a line thru the heavier stuff. It's a much better trail rig especially if you aren't mashing 3k' grind climbs with a bunch of leg shavers, and are in the seat more than 3 hours.

You can also run Pushed air shocks on either bike with no pogo, even at 200+ lbs.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    sounds to me like ya need to make up yer mind what ya want more, super light xc/trail/endurance flux build or a kinda light trail/am spot. ya really cant have both without some hefty compromises. both will be raceable but either will hold ya back at opposite ends of yer spectrum. its up to you man.

another thought: the flux ft tri will be noticably more flexy under a 200 + lb rider and this will be magnafied when ridden aggressively.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    unless you really need or want a 25lb or less bike get the Spot. Great trail bike, much more fun on the downs and can easily be built up at 27lbs which is light enough to race and will be solid enough for a Clyde.

PS if you need GF permission to buy a frame before marriage watch out when you tie the knot!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ha! and shes KILLING me!!! she wont let me pull the trigger till the 25th no matter how much I beg and plead, not even to reserve it and theyre running out!! BUT shes a nurse and providing most the capital so what can I do.....Im actually learning a lot and appreciate all these replies....

Bikes are good

That's brutal...

The girlfriend thing. Good for you finding a chick to buy your crap. Too bad yer nuts are in a jar in a cupboard only she knows how to open.

I weigh 210
    I have a 5 spot that transforms from a heavy, 36lb bike with downhill rims, coil Romic shock, and spacers under the stem to bring the front end up for those steeper descents. I have a lighter wheel set, bum an air shock, take the spacers out, and it's a 32 lb bike that feels like a feather compared to 36lb. I could go lighter on plenty of other things, but they would just break. 5 spot is your bike man. If you can't win your race on your spot, you couldn't have won it on a flux.

Good luck with that

Meat Clever

Spot vs. Flux

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    If you do a search about this, I posted a similar question about 2 months ago. One member here has both and races one and gave a very detailed response.
    CDMC, linky please. Looked thru yer posts over last coupla of months and couldn't readily find what you're referencing. Thanks,
    DD

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy
    CDMC, linky please. Looked thru yer posts over last coupla of months and couldn't readily find what you're referencing. Thanks,
    DD
    You might do a search for Morgan Fletcher (or morganfletcher - dunno which). He bought both a Flux and a Spot this year and raced the Flux in endurance races. He's probably the person to whom CDMC was referring.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

illiterate or intoxicated
    Quote Originally Posted by adiokyro
    ha! and shes KILLING me!!! she wont let me pull the trigger till the 25th no matter how much I beg and plead, not even to reserve it and theyre running out!! BUT shes a nurse and providing most the capital so what can I do.....Im actually learning a lot and appreciate all these replies....

Dude, you are an American, right? What can you do? Do what every red blooded patroitic American does. Get a credit card and spend money that you do not have. It is your duty as an American.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

My cup runneth over
    Four plus years ago I was facing the same dilemma. 195 lbs coming off several Xterras first on a hard tail and then a Titus Quasimoto. I bought the Burner over the Spot and have loved the Burner but wished I had bought the Spot. In Xterras I got passed on the climbs on the Titus but passed them all back later on the descents. On the Burner I pretty much stayed in the same spot. When I replace the Burner, I am pretty sure I will get the Spot and not the Flux. The longer travel is just way more fun. I would be tempted to supplement it with coils and heavier wheels and tires for the non-race days. FWIW I was really no faster on the Burner in the Tris than on the Titus but both were faster than the hard tail (I could barely run after killing my legs on the descents on the hard tail). I am a little tempted by the current deals but I am more excited by the DWL Spot and itís expected climbing benefits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I apologize, it was an p.m. exchange I had with Morgan Fletcher. I normally wouldn't post a p.m., but given it is nor personal and doesn't contain private information, I am going to make an exception.

Originally Posted by CDMC
    Hey,

I know you have a flux and a spot and wanted to pick your brain. I currently have a Burner and am tempted to step up to a Spot. Obviously, the Spot is a better tahoe/downieville bike, but I am trying to get a handle on how they are here in the bay area. How do you find the climbing on the Spot? Is it just cushier than the flux, or do you notice a big difference in how much they bob and how much energy it takes to climb with them?

Thanks,

Cary

Hey Cary. I've done some mega rides on the 5.Spot with tons of climbing and it did fine. Both the 140mm Pike and the RP23 shock have lock-outs, or effectively have a lock-out in the case of the RP23. The position is slightly more upright with the same stem length, and the geometry is slightly more slack. The BB is higher. I run 175mm cranks on the 5.Spot and 180mm cranks on the Flux. I rarely drop the Pike down to 100mm, really only for this one super techie climb we do over here ($2 Hill). Bob hasn't been an issue on either bike. I can get them to bob if I really stomp, with the pro-pedal lever flipped open, but I usually reach down and flip it before I do, or live with it, and seated they don't really bob at all.

As far as all-day rides go, they ride very distinctly differently. The Flux feels long, racy, low, fast, handling is quick. I have to time my pedaling over roots and rocks and steps. The 5.Spot feels bigger, dumber, funner. I am having a problem with a sticky Reba fork on the Flux, it's been sticking since day one so that affects my take on the Flux. If it was plusher I might like the ride better on the Flux. There's 3-4 pounds difference between the bikes and I can honestly say I don't notice it, but I do notice the difference between light tires on the Flux and heavy tires on the 5.Spot.

If you go 5.Spot I'd definitely recommend a through-axle fork. The Pike is making me very happy. If you can live with 100mm, the Flux is a very nice do-it-all bike and a great racer.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Meat Clever
    Thanks rollex and CDMC

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

so much thanx

see ive learned about girls, credit cards, life and turners!!! do I have to pay now? this is really great, I have a much clearer head on this--ill definately follow up next week when I make the purchase..thanx

Big Test Icycles
    You will kick your own arse if you miss out on the current deals. I grabbed one of the last HL Spots in early 06' and have never looked back. It's the BEST bike made, HL or TNT. GET IT !!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0