Ridin' in iRie meditation

Setup ? for RP3 on Burner

Greetings Homers,

The brown santa will be dropping off a new RP3 any second now! It will replace the stock Swinger on my '04 Burner w/ 4" rockers. I put the new rockers on about 2 months ago and they definitely and noticeably improved the ride - not that it needed much. However, I also noticed that it changed the characteristics of the Swinger - felt harsher and I haven't been able to quite dial it in. After reading many threads in this forum, I decided to spring for the RP3.

Eventually, I'll get it PUSH'ed, but I was hoping to get some suggestions for dialing in the stock RP3. I'm 200# and would characterize my riding as a fairly balanced mix of XC/all-mountain. Looking for that optimum of plush through rough stuff and responsive when I need to mash for a bit.

Any suggestions?

tf

rr
    I don't do PC
    I have the stock rockers but I recently switched to the RP3 and I weigh around the same. I'm running 170lbs in the chamber to get the 3/8" sag and 4 clicks out from full slow on the rebound. You probably will run more air with the higher leverage ratio on the XR rockers.

The firm setting is similiar to the Swinger but still a bit smoother, I run it in the middle setting for trail riding and there is a noticable diff. here and there seems to be better traction especially climbing, more of a "wheel glued to the ground" feeling. The soft setting works well for rougher stuff or extended downhills but I feel it's a tad soft for general trail riding. Great shock, the adjustability and smoother feel is superior to the Swinger, although the Swinger is a very good shock.

My cup runneth over
    190 lbs and like/need the RP3 to feel plush. Air pressure is huge on this shock. 160 feels harsh and 150 feels great. I have not used it in the PP setting for several months - maybe because I think it performs better on rocky technical climbs without PP. I don't care about sag % et al, I just want it to not bottom out often and since I ride the same trails all the time 150 is about the lowest I can go. No matter where I run the rebound I still get bucked around occasionally.

Bite Me.
    You're going to really like this shock compared to the Swinger. I'm 180lbs and set up the shock as recommended in the Fox manual. It's a much easier initial set up compared to the 3-way - just one initial air setting. I then took the bike for a ride with the pump in my camelback. I experimented with various air settings to get the basic ride down while keeping the rebound dialed in right in the middle and the PP setting in the middle as well. 5lbs on either side of the initial setting made a lot of difference. I found running 5lbs less than recommeded fit my style. Once set up - I then ran the rebound full fast and gradually clicked in rebound until the shock was active but not too fast - about 3-4 clicks. After that, I was done. In full PP the ride is firm - full "-" it's completely plush. The whole process took about 1/2 an hour.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

BODYSNATCHER

Hmmmm...

I may put this on my Xmas list. I'm still not satisfied with the 3 way, and the 4" rockers just magnified the problem by making it harsher overall, since I had to bump the main chamber air to compensate for the extra travel. Where did you get the shock? I did some online research and came up empty. I am sending an e-mail to Larry, so hopefully I can get the wife to pop for one this year.
    Should I get it pushed first? Or does Push sell them prefabbed? I will try Darren too, I guess.
    TIA
    Magu
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Try Darren. He said they do offer them either stock or w/ factory kit installed. I scored mine thru a buddy deal so I didn't go thru PUSH - though I will eventually.

Thanks to the others for suggestions. I put it on today and set up the sag according to manual w/ rebound pretty much in neutral. Felt good during the quick spin in the street, but definitely looking to get some trail time later this week.

tf

Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    I may put this on my Xmas list. I'm still not satisfied with the 3 way, and the 4" rockers just magnified the problem by making it harsher overall, since I had to bump the main chamber air to compensate for the extra travel. Where did you get the shock? I did some online research and came up empty. I am sending an e-mail to Larry, so hopefully I can get the wife to pop for one this year.
    Should I get it pushed first? Or does Push sell them prefabbed? I will try Darren too, I guess.
    TIA
    Magu

BODYSNATCHER

Pulled the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerFred
    Try Darren. He said they do offer them either stock or w/ factory kit installed. I scored mine thru a buddy deal so I didn't go thru PUSH - though I will eventually.

Thanks to the others for suggestions. I put it on today and set up the sag according to manual w/ rebound pretty much in neutral. Felt good during the quick spin in the street, but definitely looking to get some trail time later this week.

tf
    Okay, it's here. You were right, I got a fair price, and PUSHed to boot.
    Okay, next question: 200 pounds w/o gear, 207 with gear, so you guys are using the formula from the manual for sag, or just tuning the pressure on the trail? I didn't mess with it too much today when I rode, but I am looking for a little more plush in the PP soft setting.
    Discuss.
    TIA,
    Magu
    Last edited by mr magu; 12-18-2005 at 12:12 AM. Reason: speeilg air errs

Code Burr
    Has anyone compared a swinger 4 way to a rp3?
    I'm considering both.
    My only complaint with the 3 way is that I need to much air to get the sag right on my burner and the ride suffers a bit. Rebounds too harsh with that much air and dialing the rebound dial doesnt do much or makes it pack up. I bottomed it once and that was with 180psi I believe. I was hoping the 4 way would provide a better spring rate with spv volume adjust.

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    Okay, it's here. You were right, I got a fair price, and PUSHed to boot.
    Okay, next question: 200 pounds w/o gear, 207 with gear, so you guys are using the formula from the manual for sag, or just tuning the pressure on the trail? I didn't mess with it too much today when I rode, but I am looking for a little more plush in the PP soft setting.
    Discuss.
    TIA,
    Magu
    Measuring your sag with you on the bike is the best method for getting started. Slide the O-ring that's on the shock shaft all the way up agaist the shock body. Hop onto your bike in your normal riding position and then reach down and make sure that the O-ring is still tucked up against the shock body. Then, slowly lean to the side and get off of the bike. Now, measure the distance from the O-ring to the shock body and this is your sag. You want between 25-30% of your shock stroke to be sag, so your going to be shooting for 10-12mm (1.5" stroke *.25" = .375" or 9.5mm).

I'm making it sound way more complicated than it actually is. From there you can fine tune. If you're consistantly not coming close to your full 38.1mm of max shock travel, then try letting 5psi out, or if you don't like excessive bob then add 5psi.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

BODYSNATCHER

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    Measuring your sag with you on the bike is the best method for getting started. Slide the O-ring that's on the shock shaft all the way up agaist the shock body. Hop onto your bike in your normal riding position and then reach down and make sure that the O-ring is still tucked up against the shock body. Then, slowly lean to the side and get off of the bike. Now, measure the distance from the O-ring to the shock body and this is your sag. You want between 25-30% of your shock stroke to be sag, so your going to be shooting for 10-12mm (1.5" stroke *.25" = .375" or 9.5mm).

I'm making it sound way more complicated than it actually is. From there you can fine tune. If you're consistantly not coming close to your full 38.1mm of max shock travel, then try letting 5psi out, or if you don't like excessive bob then add 5psi.
    I tried to do it that way, but had doubts about whether I understood the idea or not. Slydexia ban be a citch...

Members who have read this thread: 0