Send the RFX packin'?- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

Send the RFX packin'?

OK, I have to clear the air. After this weekend, the HL is now my favorite bike. For the first few weeks I did not like it. I couldn't get the feel for it, I was all over the place, and I couldn't climb for crap.

In my setup post, I clearly stated the HL is no replacement for the RFX. Well, I might be eating my words. Sure, it is a bit harder to get up the hill than the RFX, though the RFX only weights about 3lb less, but I now have a good feel for the bike, and I am getting back to form with the tech climbing. So last night, hanging in the garage, staring at the RFX and telling myself "I will take it out next weekend". I have been on the HL for 5 straight weekends now. Then I think about how much fun the HL is downhill.

Thanks to FM for some pointers. Now i am centered, weight low, and the bike just rips. On the tech stuff, I just stay centered, or maybe over the seat where I would be way behind the seat on the RFX.

So the last 5 weeks have been; Sultan on the weekdays, and the HL on the weekends. This weekend, I felt great on the climbs, I have been using the same gearing as the RFX. To be honest, I am not sure I am any slower going up on the HL. Throw a Chubbie on the HL, and maybe the RFX will need to go.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

FM
    mtbr member
    Right on, glad I could help!

If you also have a sultan or a spot, I could see ditching the RFX/pack.
    Personally, I've got the RFX and the Highline, at this point the builds are quite different too, so it's a pretty easy choice when to ride either. I only choose the highline for full-face downhill type trails, regardless of whether I'm climbing or shuttling to reach them.

I guess it all comes down to what kind of riding you end up doing most. For me, the RFX is perfect for %80 of the riding I do, however the other %20 is basically the shore and whistler, where it's so nice to have a "play bike".

I think if I had a 3rd bike, I'd just end up parting it out to keep the highline and RFX running %100 of the time.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Right on, glad I could help!

If you also have a sultan or a spot, I could see ditching the RFX/pack.
    Personally, I've got the RFX and the Highline, at this point the builds are quite different too, so it's a pretty easy choice when to ride either. I only choose the highline for full-face downhill type trails, regardless of whether I'm climbing or shuttling to reach them.

I guess it all comes down to what kind of riding you end up doing most. For me, the RFX is perfect for %80 of the riding I do, however the other %20 is basically the shore and whistler, where it's so nice to have a "play bike".

I think if I had a 3rd bike, I'd just end up parting it out to keep the highline and RFX running %100 of the time.
    Thanks for the help, it really made a big difference. Getting forward and low (as well as going back to a Minion DHF 2.7 3C on the front) has made a world of difference. The bike just feels right, and I know I am considerably faster on the tech DH's

I do have a Sultan for all of my XC type riding. SOMO is a place where I would split time between the RFX and HL. All other rides would be Sultan territory. Sedona, Flag (with the exception of shuttling), Hawes, weekday training rides, etc. are all Sultan rides, unquestionably. The only time I was riding the RFX was for the SOMO stuff (it is built at 37-38lb). As of right now I prefer the HL for all that we have done. I cannot see too many (if any) rides where the RFX would be a significant benefit.

Actually, I have been thinking for a while now, consolidate the RFX and Sultan and build a light weight Spot. But, the Sultan is more of an XC build.

It should be noted that my RFX is built much like my HL. 150mm RC2X, CCDB, Stans Freeride rims, Kings (funbolts), etc.. I have considered building the RFX Lite, but that seems a bit steep condsidering I think the Spot is a better option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

My experience also

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    OK, I have to clear the air. After this weekend, the HL is now my favorite bike. For the first few weeks I did not like it. I couldn't get the feel for it, I was all over the place, and I couldn't climb for crap.

In my setup post, I clearly stated the HL is no replacement for the RFX. Well, I might be eating my words. Sure, it is a bit harder to get up the hill than the RFX, though the RFX only weights about 3lb less, but I now have a good feel for the bike, and I am getting back to form with the tech climbing. So last night, hanging in the garage, staring at the RFX and telling myself "I will take it out next weekend". I have been on the HL for 5 straight weekends now. Then I think about how much fun the HL is downhill.

Thanks to FM for some pointers. Now i am centered, weight low, and the bike just rips. On the tech stuff, I just stay centered, or maybe over the seat where I would be way behind the seat on the RFX.

So the last 5 weeks have been; Sultan on the weekdays, and the HL on the weekends. This weekend, I felt great on the climbs, I have been using the same gearing as the RFX. To be honest, I am not sure I am any slower going up on the HL. Throw a Chubbie on the HL, and maybe the RFX will need to go.
    I do a lot of what would be called trail riding with guys on VP Frees and similar bikes, with just enough jumps, ladder drops and DH to keep it interesting. No way did I feel underbiked on the RFX. I built the Highline for some of the local DH which requires climbing. It took me about 4 weeks before the Highline became the go-to-bike for all my riding: Much more fun pointed down and the climbing penalty is just not that big of a deal.

I replaced the stock DHX5 with an Avy DHS last week. Craig said that neither of the piggyback models would fit in the medium frame, so if you go Avy on a medium frame, you'll have to get the remote. The Avy is incredible. I have 6 rides on mine. It feels way better than the DHX5 and even feels better than the CCDB on the RFX. The Avy smooths out all the small bumps but is still firm for pedaling and doesn't wallow in the trail undulations. I can ride some of the rougher down hill section noticeably faster with more control, and jump/drop landings feel softer. I am amazed at how well this shock tracks over a variety of trail surfaces and at different speeds without need for adjustment.

Team Sanchez
    I hate to say , "I told you so...."
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Hisforever
    its cool to rock a HL and pack. especially when the builds dictate where and what the bike excels in.

If i had your quiver, I could easily send the pack, packin and just enjoy the sultan and the HL. Completely different bikes so when to ride one over the other is easy.

mtbr member
    My buddy (xtrahoss on here) has a Highline he trailrides and he seems to do just fine with it. I think it's around 42 lbs normally without the DH setup going on.

It should be interesting for myself, as I have an RFX and Highline on order. My intent is for the RFX to be the main trailbike, an the HL the big bike.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    After a summer of riding Diablo most weekends then hitting Whistler and CBC on the Highline. This weekend I camped out for two days of riding at Plattekill, totally different terrain to all the other DH I've done this year, all the trails are natural, loose shale rock everywhere, nothing groomed. I love the Highline even more. The only riding I'm managing to do on my Sultan is XC races, it's looking unloved covered in 2 week old mud from the last race.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing in Action
    I do a lot of what would be called trail riding with guys on VP Frees and similar bikes, with just enough jumps, ladder drops and DH to keep it interesting. No way did I feel underbiked on the RFX. I built the Highline for some of the local DH which requires climbing. It took me about 4 weeks before the Highline became the go-to-bike for all my riding: Much more fun pointed down and the climbing penalty is just not that big of a deal.

I replaced the stock DHX5 with an Avy DHS last week. Craig said that neither of the piggyback models would fit in the medium frame, so if you go Avy on a medium frame, you'll have to get the remote. The Avy is incredible. I have 6 rides on mine. It feels way better than the DHX5 and even feels better than the CCDB on the RFX. The Avy smooths out all the small bumps but is still firm for pedaling and doesn't wallow in the trail undulations. I can ride some of the rougher down hill section noticeably faster with more control, and jump/drop landings feel softer. I am amazed at how well this shock tracks over a variety of trail surfaces and at different speeds without need for adjustment.

Funny, that is very much what I have been thinking. The additional penalty on the climb is far outweighed on the trip back down. As it is now, both bikes are setup for the same trails. I was thinking I would simply switch back and forth, but as it stands right now, I would just rather ride the HL.

Where did you mount the resivoir?

FM
    mtbr member
    Lets call a spade a spade.

With a dual chainring, seat all the way up, single-crown fork and a reasonably light build, the highline gets up the hill very nicely. Climbing on a FR bike is excellent strength training! Some even enjoy SPD's and a gravity dripper maybe some aero bars and a speedo are next? (JK chingon!)

It's a FR/DH bike, thats what it does best. Climb if you must, this bike was made to shred downhills. I'll keep my RFX (or whatever lighter bike you might have) when the DH is not-so-gnar.

now RFX vs. Spot vs. Sultan, I only *need* one of those three.
    "Want" is a totally different issue.
    Last edited by FM; 08-11-2008 at 02:15 PM.

mtbr member
    So if one were to add a "trail" (XC) bike to a quiver that now only consists of a HL, what would a Homer recommend?

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    So if one were to add a "trail" (XC) bike to a quiver that now only consists of a HL, what would a Homer recommend?

For the terrain I ride, a 28 lb 5.5 spot would compliment the 42 lb Highline nicely.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Where did you mount the resivoir?
    On the top tube, just in front of the taco. Look at Avy's application page, Highline, and click the link for a picture, except no taco on their bike.

For me, it would be the 07/08 RFX.

mtbr member
    El C> Thanks. My HL will be sub 40 so a sub 30 Spot would be purrrfect.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I hear that the DHR is the new Nitrous.

Def the Spot, though an argument could be made for the Flux for the trails around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    I hear that the DHR is the new Nitrous.

Def the Spot, though an argument could be made for the Flux for the trails around here.
    Since T-rancho is just down the street, was craving a bike to hit that on occasion. And China Camp too. Annadel even as well; although my HL would be way fun there. I'll look into a Spot then...

TLL
    mtbr member
    Since T-rancho is just down the street, was craving a bike to hit that on occasion. And China Camp too. Annadel even as well; although my HL would be way fun there. I'll look into a Spot then...
    That's what I figured. Def the Spot then, tho China Camp can be done on a hardtail with solid rubber tires.

I ended up selling my Flux because I always felt the need for a tad more travel.

Highline at Annadel? You must know something I don't

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    That's what I figured. Def the Spot then, tho China Camp can be done on a hardtail with solid rubber tires.

I ended up selling my Flux because I always felt the need for a tad more travel.

Highline at Annadel? You must know something I don't
    Agreed on CC - a hardtail would be fun around here too! Especially all of the fire roads we're limited to in Marin.

If you're asking the question about Annadel, then you know as well. A little exploring at that park leads to some little-known gems! Although Rough Go is a favorite.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Personally, I'd wait for the new 4X frame to come out....

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

2nd opinion....

Thanks for the help, it really made a big difference. Getting forward and low (as well as going back to a Minion DHF 2.7 3C on the front) has made a world of difference. The bike just feels right, and I know I am considerably faster on the tech DH's

I do have a Sultan for all of my XC type riding. SOMO is a place where I would split time between the RFX and HL. All other rides would be Sultan territory. Sedona, Flag (with the exception of shuttling), Hawes, weekday training rides, etc. are all Sultan rides, unquestionably. The only time I was riding the RFX was for the SOMO stuff (it is built at 37-38lb). As of right now I prefer the HL for all that we have done. I cannot see too many (if any) rides where the RFX would be a significant benefit.

Actually, I have been thinking for a while now, consolidate the RFX and Sultan and build a light weight Spot. But, the Sultan is more of an XC build.

It should be noted that my RFX is built much like my HL. 150mm RC2X, CCDB, Stans Freeride rims, Kings (funbolts), etc.. I have considered building the RFX Lite, but that seems a bit steep condsidering I think the Spot is a better option.
    TiSSer ....now that it is summer and our SoMo rides are not too long due to the heat, I can understand your thoughts. But, once it cools off and we extend our rides out further, National tip to tip for example.... I think you'd be wishing for the lighter RFX... Just a thought...

Members who have read this thread: 0